South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why are lukewarm Christians referred to as Christians when Jesus meant specifically that they are not truly Christians, but only professing? They are in the church, but they are either "Christians" in name only or they profess Christ, but have never been truly saved. That is just my take.

Revelation 3:16
16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Reactions: DennisTate

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are lukewarm Christians referred to as Christians when Jesus meant specifically that they are not truly Christians, but only professing? They are in the church, but they are either "Christians" in name only or they profess Christ, but have never been truly saved. That is just my take.

16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

What makes you think they're not Christians? Jesus said He loves them: Revelation 3:19

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Not a dumb question.

Remember how many ["multitudes"] people on earth TODAY
who are called "Christian" find out on JUDGMENT DAY otherwise ?

So it is good to find out why, eh ?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why is Christ outside knocking on the door of that church?
Can you be more specific ? (for clarity)

(1) There's times HE is not outside.
(2) There's times HE is not knocking.
(3) "Church" does not mean TODAY (around the world in most places) what it means in SCRIPTURE.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you be more specific ? (for clarity)

(1) There's times HE is not outside.
(2) There's times HE is not knocking.
(3) "Church" does not mean TODAY (around the world in most places) what it means in SCRIPTURE.

The Church being talked about here is the Laodicean. Rev 3:14.
I believe them being lukewarm tells us the had some sort of mixture of christianity and some other belief. The other belief probably replaced or severly distorted Christ substitute sacrafice and atonement. Christ spit them out...and now is outside knocking on their door. I think many churches today fit the same image.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What makes you think they're not Christians? Jesus said He loves them: Revelation 3:19

Some translations put it this way: Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.

"Those" doesn't have to mean everybody....

• Agree
Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some translations put it this way: Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent.

Are you meaning to say Jesus doesn't love the church at Laodecia? Why is He rebuking them? To be honest, I'm not really sure what you're meaning to say.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you meaning to say Jesus doesn't love the church at Laodecia? Why is He rebuking them? To be honest, I'm not really sure what you're meaning to say.

What I'm saying...and I'm not completely dogmatic about it....is that the church at Laodecia was severely polluted. Some true believers were still in that church...those Jesus loves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The Church being talked about here is the Laodicean. Rev 3:14.
I believe them being lukewarm tells us the had some sort of mixture of christianity and some other belief. The other belief probably replaced or severly distorted Christ substitute sacrafice and atonement. Christ spit them out...and now is outside knocking on their door. I think many churches today fit the same image.
In chapter 3, it is not written that CHRIST spit them out.
It is written that HE will, HE is about to spit them out.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Revelation 3:19-22Expanded Bible (EXB)

19 “I ·correct [rebuke] and ·punish [discipline] those whom I love. So be ·eager to do right [zealous; earnest], and ·change your hearts and lives [repent]. 20 ·Here I am [L Look; T Behold]! I stand at the door and knock. If ·you [L anyone] hear my voice and open the door, I will come in and eat with you, and you will eat with me.

21 “Those who ·win the victory [overcome; conquer] will sit with me on my throne in the same way that I ·won the victory [overcame; conquered; C over death, by his resurrection] and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Everyone who has ears should ·listen to [hear; obey] what the Spirit says to the churches.”
Expanded Bible (EXB)

The Expanded Bible, Copyright © 2011 Thomas Nelson Inc. All rights reserved.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What I'm saying...and I'm not completely dogmatic about it....is that the church at Laodecia was severely polluted. Some true believers were still in that church...those Jesus loves.

I see what you're saying. But wouldn't the rebuking be specifically directed at the ones with whom He is finding fault? The ones that He says are "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" the ones He is counseling to "buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see"?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In chapter 3, it is not written that CHRIST spit them out.
It is written that HE will, HE is about to spit them out.

Rev 3:16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

I'm going with the "I". The "I" is Christ.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see what you're saying. But wouldn't the rebuking be specifically directed at the ones with whom He is finding fault? The ones that He says are "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" the ones He is counseling to "buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see"?

Perhaps....but shouldn't the true believers be doing that?

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps....but shouldn't the true believers be doing that?

Okay, but the original post was talking about the ones whom Jesus was rebuking, so we seem to agree He is talking to "true believers" and not "fake believers"

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well false christians are an example of someone who's called a christian but isn't' a christian.

But anyway if you're lukewarm usually it's just a state you can get out of. It's sort of like backsliding, you're about to be punished severely by God if you don't change your ways. Lukewarm= you're not really passionate you're not on fire for God but you can get out of this before you lose your salvation.

Upvote 0