• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

I HAVE A DREAM.. 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Colin, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran

+6,857
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    UK - SNP
    I remember this day 50 years ago very well .

I was glued to our black and white television watching the BBC coverage of the Civil Rights March on Washington which culminated in the speech of Martin Luther King .

Perhaps because of the events of WWII , which had ended not many years previously , I had a detestation of racism in whatever form . I had followed the American Civil Rights Movement closely , and was inspired and ecouraged by it .

I am grateful to Martin Luther King and to all who struggled for civil rights in America at that time .

Just over two years later the 21st Ecumenical Council was to declare : "
    No foundation remains for any theory or practice that leads to discrimination between man and man or people and people, so far as their human dignity and the rights flowing from it are concerned.
    The Church reproves, as foreign to the mind of Christ, any discrimination against men or harassment of them because of their race, colour, condition of life, or religion. "

Unusual for this Council , the bishops used the word "reproves" . Good Pope John had wanted the Council to avoid "condemnation" , but the bishops found racial discrimination so abhorrent that they got as near as they could to declaring it anathema .

We all know that there is so much injustice in the world , but may we not lose hope , but rather be inspired by men like Martin Luther King , and may we continue to dream .

I HAVE A DREAM... MARTIN LUTHER KING - August 28, 1963 - YouTube

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+26,930
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    God bless him.

3. S.ilvio

S.ilvio Newbie

+3,371
    Ireland
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Thank you Rawson.

Your words say it all. Men with the courage of MLK can only inspire those of us today who agree with his message but may be fearful of expressing it...

4. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+7,056
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    May we continue to work towards freedom and equality for all, all across the world.

5. Colin

Colin Senior Veteran

+6,857
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    UK - SNP
    Thanks S.ilvio .

There was a programme on BBC Radio 4 at 9a.m. on Martin Luther King's speech . It features , amongst others , Mary Robinson , John Hulme , your heroine Malala , and the Dalai Lama . You might want to listen to it on BBC iplayer .

There's also a documentary on BBC 2 at 9p.m. about Martin Luther King and the March on Washington .

Let's never stop dreaming . :wave:
    joan baez- WE SHALL OVERCOME- live1965 - YouTube

6. S.ilvio

S.ilvio Newbie

+3,371
    Ireland
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'll check out the documentary tonight for sure...:)

7. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+676
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I thought people might enjoy this in this thread - Mahalia sung this just before the Washington march:

How I Got Over

8. Michie

+26,930
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Cardinal Wuerl recalls famed March on Washington
    The dream of Martin Luther King (L’Osservatore Romano)

USCCB: statement for 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King’s March on Washington (CWN, 8/14)

9. Michie

+26,930
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  10. Michie

+26,930
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Make Justice a Reality to all of Gods Children: Dr. Kings Dream Includes Children in the Womb

http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=52200

11. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn back in black

+1,532
    Catholic
    Private
    :amen: :clap: