Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know I made a thread like this before but I'm doing it again. There is a chance that I will have to deny myself the Eucharist at Mass today (this would be the second week in a row), but I really hate how literally every single person is going up to get Communion while I sit there like a dork (although I'm not calling anyone else a dork for doing the same thing). No, I don't want to go up to "receive the blessing" because that is something I did before Confirmation, and it would make me feel like I was still in RCIA. I also have a hard time believing that absolutely every single person getting Communion is in a state of grace, because EVERY single person is doing it. I am wondering if people are being honest with themselves.

Also, please pray that I actually CAN go to Mass today, even without the Eucharist. There have been times where I didn't go to Mass and I feel like it's something I can never get back. Also, even though my dad doesn't put up too much of a front most of the time about this, there have been moments and they're very demoralizing.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think that it takes great courage to voluntarily refrain from accepting the Eucharist, if you feel unworthy.
But you also might want to make some time during the week to speak to your priest about your feelings, and see if, together, the two of you can get to the heart of what it is that is keeping you away.
On a slightly different track, this reminds me of calling an HVAC company to come out and clean your pipes from clogs that are keeping the water from flowing freely thru the system.
So spiritually, you might say that there's a clog (sin) in your spiritual system somewhere, that is keeping the mercy of God from flowing freely through your life.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,090.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if you might suffer a bit from "scrupulosity' which is a tendency to make mountains out of molehills. None of us are perfect, and I'm certainly not, but we can sometimes be too hard on ourselves.

As to everyone else receiving communion, that judgement call isn't ours to make. We're not mind readers, and that's between them and God.

I'm assuming you've gone through RCIA and have been accepted into the church. If so I'd be inclined to go to mass and accept the eucharist if I were you.

Upvote 0