US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I like trying to grow closer to God, but I hate going to church. I pray and read my Bible. I listen to church sermons, BUT i have extreme social anxiety and I have to go to church alone in a family centered city. However, I do feel like God gives messages in the church or reinforces things I read in the Bible. Still, it's a nightmare and every Sunday my out of state bf asks me if I'm going. I feel so guilty rn and trying to force myself to go. I have anxiety all this morning just thinking about going. I'm sure it's worse cause I'm pmsing rn and my hormones are a mess, but literally I feel like crying and it's only and hour into the day.

I usually feel kind of okay when I get there and he starts reading the Bible, but otherwise I feel like an outsider to all the families and their kids.

Btw it's not just church. I hate going to work and dealing with people they drain me. I cancelled my facial this morning cause I hate the anxiety I get from dealing with people and I used up all my social energy at my nieces party last night. Socializing more often doesn't seem to take away my desire to get away from people and be in my own world.

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont attend Church for the same reason. I dont believe Church attendance is necessary. You can find fellowship online. Just my opinion.
I dont attend Church for the same reason. I dont believe Church attendance is necessary. You can find fellowship online. Just my opinion.

I kinda agree other than he fact God gives me messages. But to be fair I get messages from listening to Sermons too. I feel like my whole desire to make myself go to church is just for my bf or grandpa. I just don't want to look bad. It's totally the wrong reason. I don't want them to think I'm unGodly.

But I mean I use to love church when I had friends and my cousin was youth leader. Church is more like a social club than anything else now days.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I kinda agree other than he fact God gives me messages. But to be fair I get messages from listening to Sermons too. I feel like my whole desire to make myself go to church is just for my bf or grandpa. I just don't want to look bad. It's totally the wrong reason. I don't want them to think I'm unGodly.

But I mean I use to love church when I had friends and my cousin was youth leader. Church is more like a social club than anything else now days.
Perhaps one day you will change your mind, and perhaps you will find a better Church. However, i still dont believe its necessary, if you can fellowship online.

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[for me anyway] it sounds like a lack of faith, and seeing that faith comes only by hearing the Word of God, then you need to more abundantly hear God's Word: the more faith cometh, the less anxious, because the more then shall we trust in God. The world would have us distracted from God and especially His Word, therefore we must keep ourselves in faith all the day long.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Imagine meeting Jesus at the coffeeshop.
You would go , right ?
He is not like people at churches you've been to.
Jesus heals - He does not just preach or talk nor make you feel bad.

So find people who are healing. Find people like Jesus. Ask the Father for Help to find those people.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't go to church because I don't believe in it. And if you also don't believe in it you probably shouldn't go either. Theres other ways to please God than going to church, and going just to please men is as you know not a good reason to go to church. If you feel church edifies your spirit then it sounds like you should go. But if you don't believe in it then I don't see you being under any obligation to go.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if you've looked around at other, similar, churches, Angeleyes?

Without changing your beliefs, you might find one that is much better for you with respect to such things as 'how many children,' the 'size of the congregation,' the 'quality of the instruction,' etc.

Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have extreme social anxiety and I have to go to church alone in a family centered city.
.... Still, it's a nightmare and every Sunday my out of state bf asks me if I'm going.
...I feel so guilty rn and trying to force myself to go.
...I have anxiety all this morning just thinking about going.
...I feel like crying and it's only and hour into the day.
... I hate going to work and dealing with people they drain me.
... I cancelled my facial this morning cause I hate the anxiety I get from dealing with people.
... Socializing more often doesn't seem to take away my desire to get away from people and be in my own world.

This is my view. We are created for social interaction and you think you are enjoying your life right now HOWEVER you will be far more happy with true fellowship in your life. You have a social anxiety which could be a category of spiritual warfare. It is limiting your enjoyments in life and that is not from God, as God is peace and love.
The church is the body of Christ. It is not an organization or club, it plays a big role in Christian existence. It is good you love God for that is the first command.. but the second command is that you love others as you do yourself or more, do you follow that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is my view. We are created for social interaction and you think you are enjoying your life right now HOWEVER you will be far more happy with true fellowship in your life. You have a social anxiety which could be a category of spiritual warfare. It is limiting your enjoyments in life and that is not from God, as God is peace and love.
The church is the body of Christ. It is not an organization or club, it plays a big role in Christian existence. It is good you love God for that is the first command.. but the second command is that you love others as you do yourself or more, do you follow that?
online fellowship helps me love others as myself. Sometimes im humbled by this website, and thats of great value. The interaction i have here at CF really helps if its all we have.

Upvote 0

Code Phox

Created/Married
Mar 4, 2017
USA
✟12,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Luke 6:32
32 For if ye love them that love you, what thanks have ye? For sinners also love those that love them.

Hebrews 10:25
25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as ye see the Day approaching.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 6:32
32 For if ye love them that love you, what thanks have ye? For sinners also love those that love them.

Hebrews 10:25
25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as ye see the Day approaching.
fellowship can be had online. Thats all im saying. Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I like trying to grow closer to God, but I hate going to church. I pray and read my Bible. I listen to church sermons, BUT i have extreme social anxiety and I have to go to church alone in a family centered city. However, I do feel like God gives messages in the church or reinforces things I read in the Bible. Still, it's a nightmare and every Sunday my out of state bf asks me if I'm going. I feel so guilty rn and trying to force myself to go. I have anxiety all this morning just thinking about going. I'm sure it's worse cause I'm pmsing rn and my hormones are a mess, but literally I feel like crying and it's only and hour into the day.

I usually feel kind of okay when I get there and he starts reading the Bible, but otherwise I feel like an outsider to all the families and their kids.

Btw it's not just church. I hate going to work and dealing with people they drain me. I cancelled my facial this morning cause I hate the anxiety I get from dealing with people and I used up all my social energy at my nieces party last night. Socializing more often doesn't seem to take away my desire to get away from people and be in my own world.

I'm sorry, I hope that the Lord Jesus will free you from your social anxiety. Such is not possible with man, but nothing is impossible for the Lord (I thought that way about being transgender, that there was no way I could ever be otherwise. His grace is powerful and His mercy is boundless).

Though I never had social anxiety, I did hate to go to church at one time; mainly I was just socially awkward and then prior to my conversion I thought church was just real boring. Being able to participate in a worship service with other believers peacefully is such a wonderful gift from God however, so I do hope that in time the Holy Spirit will work in your life so you can enjoy it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I'm sorry, I hope that the Lord Jesus will free you from your social anxiety. Such is not possible with man, but nothing is impossible for the Lord
Often it is possible, every day for people, with the right approach. (not drugs)

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Awwww, the world is so mean these days and look what it is doing to you, sister :( :sorry: :sorry:

I do know the truthful answer for you, and it's hard but it works. It takes practise. In your heart you need to make a change, to not see your life as one that is for you but as one that is for sacrifice to God.

Look at King David's attitude in 2 Samuel 16:12 - is it not the very same as Jesus said, to turn the other cheek?

What is happening is that you are feeling offended that people are so loveless, and it is so foreign to you because you are one of those who gives and gives and gives. But you are now feeling like a victim because nobody treats you the way that you ought to be treated. Everybody takes, and takes, and takes.. and then they want even more still!

The one thing that will liberate you, if you can figure out how to do it, is to rise above the victim mentality and to see the ones who afflict you just as the way that Jesus saw them in Mark 6:34. Then when you see them for they way they truly are .. as poor lost ones not knowing the right way to go, and that when they hurt you, it is because the only way they know how to get relief from their misery, is to take away the joy from the one that they are envying.

But you are right, that the world is draining us. Remember that Jesus often had to withdraw to quiet places to pray alone, and in this way, He stayed so full of love and mercy etc, that He even knew when someone got healed by just touching the hem of His garment!

One thing I have noticed is that television is teaching very poor personality character to people, where many scenes portray cattiness, self-centredness, lewdness, just generally not holy conduct .. and this rubs off. When people watch these programs for hours each day, and when they laugh at it or admire it, thinking it is a good way to be, it then becomes a part of their character. And so we are walking amongst people who reflect catty, shallow, self-centredness, holding contempt in their heart for the Ned Flanders' .. so love has really become so depleted in society, where everyone is groaning under the stress and nobody is there to relieve them of it.

If you cannot forgive them, then it will destroy you. This is why Jesus said that we must possess our lives by our endurance. It is getting ferocious because this is not yet wide knowledge, but it is possible to rise above it by making a mind-shift.

So hopefully this gives you some ideas that you can take to The Lord in prayer, He will help you be more than a conqueror :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

byhisgrace7

Dec 7, 2013
Kansas
✟25,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, I can really relate to everything you said in your post. I did find a medicine that has helped with my PMS. PM me if you want to know more. Church is full of families and/or couples and the sermons are always catered to "your spouse." There are no singles groups for over 40, always catered to young adults. There are so many divorced, widowed, separated or never married 40 something and beyond out there that are not ministered to by the church.

Upvote 0