• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I had a really bad thought, an evil thought

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟143,890.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought that I wanted my brothers and sisters to go to hell with me. I don't know where that thought came from, but it was evil.

Immediately I felt my faith decrease, probably because the Holy Spirit is grieved and it is only by Him that I am able to remain in the faith and believe.

I need to fix my heart. How do I fix my heart? I want a pure heart, not an evil unbelieving heart. This really disturbed me.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought that I wanted my brothers and sisters to go to hell with me. I don't know where that thought came from, but it was evil.

Immediately I felt my faith decrease, probably because the Holy Spirit is grieved and it is only by Him that I am able to remain in the faith and believe.

I need to fix my heart. How do I fix my heart? I want a pure heart, not an evil unbelieving heart. This really disturbed me.

You just took the first step by recognizing what you did.

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem with intrusive thoughts - and even people without OCD have them - is that they disgust us so much that we "work" really hard to get them out of our head. I've had them before many times. And that's what I used to do. I don't have OCD, but I do have GAD - general anxiety disorder - so I know how intrusive thoughts can terrify you.

Metaphorically speaking, I got my heavy duty "broom" and began trying to sweep those thoughts out of my mind and I could think of nothing else.

That was my problem.

I was wrestling with those darn thoughts and trying hard to sweep them out of my mind....stomp them like roaches.....panic over them......metaphorically "showering" my mind like one would shower and scrub a child who fell in pig feces.....and on and on.

By doing all that - I was keeping the thought IN my mind. And my biggest fear was what God thought of me when those thoughts came. I was terrified he was super mad at me.

I don't do that anymore.

I still get the occasional intrusive thoughts. I still am disgusted by them and still am shocked and wonder where on earth they come from, but I don't wrestle with them anymore.

I simply let them pass from one ear and out the other. I may whisper to God, "I know that's not true....it's part of this fallen world. It's not who I am in Christ."

And I move on. And they don't linger anymore.

They haven't fully gone away. BUT, they no longer stay. I have put out the no vacancy sign.

Upvote 0

Daniel Hoseini

Sep 1, 2021
North-Brabant
✟43,201.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I suffer the same things in my subconscious mind. I think these are not really our own thoughts, but the thoughts of a demon or demons in us. This demon is working to bring each of us to identify with himself, but without us knowing it. Therefore, we think that all our thoughts and emotions are always from ourselves. In such negative cases, we are not free from guilt and responsibility. But our guilt and responsibility is often not that we create this evil in ourselves, but that we accept it from demons, even if we don’t see them. Therefore, may God grant us to enlighten our minds with prayer, soul-beneficial reading and contemplation of God, in order to strive for purity of mind, in the image and likeness of Jesus Christ, who is ready to forgive the repentant sinner.

Upvote 0