I guess 'speakeasys' are a thing again.

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NYC sheriffs bust at least 164 maskless revelers at ‘illegal’ nightclub
Another weekend, another alleged illegal nightclub busted in the boroughs.

At least 164 maskless revelers partied in a crammed, illicit, makeshift underground bar in Rosedale, Queens, on Sunday morning, according to authorities.

New York City sheriffs busted the "dangerously overcrowded" speakeasy around 2:30 a.m. and charged a DJ and two unlicensed security guards who were among the organizers with violating COVID-19-related regulations, officials said...

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was watching The Indian Doctor on Amazon Prime and he was dealing with a small pox outbreak.
People did not want to social distance and didn't believe there was a risk.

I guess this kind of response is pretty predicatable.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was watching The Indian Doctor on Amazon Prime and he was dealing with a smallpox outbreak.

I guess this kind of response is pretty predictable.
Given what happened with the 1918 flu, I agree.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was watching The Indian Doctor on Amazon Prime and he was dealing with a small pox outbreak.

I guess this kind of response is pretty predicatable.
Last week I showed the old western TV show, Laramie, there was a smallpox outbreak, and the people of the town were afraid to take a vaccine against it.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,352.00
Faith
Christian
About 1,000 people dying in New York state every week...

Hey I've got an idea - let's cram into an unlicenced nightclub with a couple of hundred other people without masks - no-one can take away my freedum to listen to crappy dance music during a pandemic!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Seems silly to do that in New York of all places where there are potential legal implications (in this case, $15,000 from the sounds of it for the event organizers)... If someone really wants to throw caution to the wind with regards to their health, seems like it'd be cheaper and less hassle to hop on a $49 flight from LaGuardia to Tampa, and go to one of their night clubs that are currently open.

But I think this does highlight something I've been saying for quite some time with regards to the "Covid fatigue". All of the focus was put on the pro-Trump anti-mask folks as the assertion was "Trump is going to encourage his followers to ignore the rules, if we just has a president setting a better example, they would've gotten on board with the restrictions"

And while that has happened to an extent, the aspect nobody seemed to talk about was how they were going to address the 18-25's who are liberal, who don't like Trump, and don't look to him as a thought leader in any regard, but who don't like being cooped up for months on end and just want to socialize with their friends again.

For that age demo, obviously their preferred politicians have been saying all the right things and sending all of the right messages with regards to what needs to be done, but it hasn't seemed to alter their behavior.

If you look at some of the gatherings police have uncovered and had to bust up...
This NYC speakeasy
The packed house parties being put on in Chicago by popular Chicago DJs
Raves in West Hollywood
Multiple bars and coffee shops in Portland and Seattle cited for violations

These aren't exactly conservative strongholds, nor are they frequented by folks who would be of the "I'll do whatever Trump says we should do" ilk.

So the question is, how does a leader (from any political persuasion) encourage 18-25's to comply with the guidelines over the long haul?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems silly to do that in New York of all places where there are potential legal implications (in this case, $15,000 from the sounds of it for the event organizers)... If someone really wants to throw caution to the wind with regards to their health, seems like it'd be cheaper and less hassle to hop on a $49 flight from LaGuardia to Tampa, and go to one of their night clubs that are currently open.

But I think this does highlight something I've been saying for quite some time with regards to the "Covid fatigue". All of the focus was put on the pro-Trump anti-mask folks as the assertion was "Trump is going to encourage his followers to ignore the rules, if we just has a president setting a better example, they would've gotten on board with the restrictions"

And while that has happened to an extent, the aspect nobody seemed to talk about was how they were going to address the 18-25's who are liberal, who don't like Trump, and don't look to him as a thought leader in any regard, but who don't like being cooped up for months on end and just want to socialize with their friends again.

For that age demo, obviously their preferred politicians have been saying all the right things and sending all of the right messages with regards to what needs to be done, but it hasn't seemed to alter their behavior.

If you look at some of the gatherings police have uncovered and had to bust up...
This NYC speakeasy
Raves in West Hollywood

These aren't exactly conservative strongholds, nor are they frequented by folks who would be of the "I'll do whatever Trump says we should do" ilk.

So the question is, how does a leader (from any political persuasion) encourage 18-25's to comply with the guidelines over the long haul?

When the 18-25 year old knows that the chance of Covid having much of an effect upon them is infinitesimally small ? The chance they will care what some old white guy says? ZERO. Could be , since we had in another thread the revelation that millennials in general can't wait for their elders to kick the bucket, I suppose, that they might make an extra effort to gather in larger groups in hopes that the virus is spread far and wide so those who have a much higher chance of being negatively effected will be sped to their final rest more quickly.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sadly Americans are to weak to behave simple rules. I wont agree with bad behavior at all. Or protesting with out mask and social distasting. It's just ignorant to do ,during a COVID-19 pandemic.
This is worse to me. Since it's Christians behaving badly during a pandemic. If they read the bible, Then they know they are doing wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sadly Americans are to weak to behave simple rules. I wont agree with bad behavior at all. Or protesting with out mask and social distasting. It's just ignorant to do ,during a COVID-19 pandemic. This is worse to me. Since it's Christians behaving badly during a pandemic. If they read the bible, Then they know they are doing wrong.
Weakness is not the issue. It is stubbornness and resistance to other people telling us how to live our lives.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok. Stupidly, then.

Stupidity seems to be as much of a pandemic as Covid is . It doesn't end with people being frivolous and incautious about gathering. Government action has been frivolous, inconsistent and whimsical on all levels. Most mandates that have come down seem to be whatever a governor arbitrarily and whimsically feels like doing at the moment and have no basis in the science. And of course when it is inconvenient for the government officials to follow their own mandates they simply ignore them and when called on it basically just say "oops".

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This NYC speakeasy
Raves in West Hollywood

New York has been busting them left and right for these events, fueled by youthful ignorance and anti-Cuomo sentiment. He went too far in his histrionic diatribes and extreme lockdowns all year and has harmed many already. People have had enough.Young people are notoriously undeterred by danger as their brains haven't even developed adult judgment until their mid-twenties.

So good question. Constant non-judgmental input about risks into the ones over which you have influence, I guess. It's all I've got (and prayer).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Weakness is not the issue. It is stubbornness and resistance to other people telling us how to live our lives.
No, it's about people to weak or ignorant to obey simple guidelines to protect themselves from getting COVID-19.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it's about people to weak or ignorant to obey simple guidelines to protect themselves from getting COVID-19.
I disagree. Weak people blindly follow without question.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok. Stupidly, then.

I think most people know that 18-25's will make risky (and in some cases stupid decisions), I think we've all be guilty of that a some point in our youth.

The pleads for "we need to have a consistent message and instructions" seemed to be politically motivated, without any regard for the fact that there are other "trusted institutions" apart from "executive branch of the federal government".

Trump not providing clear and consistent messaging may explain why Trump's loyal followers chose to ignore some of the rules. However, it ignored the 55% of the people in the country who didn't like or trust him, and instead trusted other institutions, and those institutions weren't giving clear and consistent messaging either.

If there's going be a demand that "institutions that are in a great position of social influence need to be conveying a direct and consistent message", then that onus needs to be applied evenly across all institutions...and not just highlighted in instances when it allows a person to take a cheap shot at political rivals.

It seems that all of the focus was put on the institutions that far-right conservatives look to for guidance and aimed at highlighting their inconsistencies, but nobody bothered to look and see what kind of mixed messaging was occurring with regards to the the institutions that liberals and moderates look to for information.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟456,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If there's going be a demand that "institutions that are in a great position of social influence need to be conveying a direct and consistent message", then that onus needs to be applied evenly across all institutions...and not just highlighted in instances when it allows a person to take a cheap shot at political rivals.

It seems that all of the focus was put on the institutions that far-right conservatives look to for guidance and aimed at highlighting their inconsistencies, but nobody bothered to look and see what kind of mixed messaging was occurring with regards to the the institutions that liberals and moderates look to for information.

Talk like this is very discouraging to me, considering these people who can't handle themselves VOTE. Most rational people do not need top-down "messaging" or micromanagement from government or institutions. They are educated enough, intelligent enough to do what they can to avoid potential bad outcomes, because hey, unless you've been living under a rock, you know this thing is out there.

I'm very concerned with the trajectory of this country when I keep hearing the message repeated, that we Americans "need messaging and instruction". I realize your point here is that messaging needs to be be even and apolitical, a point I can appreciate, but I think it is pretty irrelevant.

Cuomo did that (messaging), ad nauseam. Nobody did it better (or worse, if you take his actions in totality). The man LOVES to hear himself rattle on for hours, and he did, preening before the camera for hours a day for anyone who will listen, and everyone listened, early on.

New York is in the same place as everyone else now.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Talk like this is very discouraging to me, considering these people who can't handle themselves VOTE. Most rational people do not need top-down "messaging" or micromanagement from government or institutions. They are educated enough, intelligent enough to do what they can to avoid potential bad outcomes, because hey, unless you've been living under a rock, you know this thing is out there.

I'm very concerned with the trajectory of this country when I keep hearing the message repeated, that we Americans "need messaging and instruction". I realize your point here is that messaging needs to be be even and apolitical, a point I can appreciate, but I think it is pretty irrelevant.

Cuomo did that (messaging), ad nauseam. Nobody did it better (or worse, if you take his actions in totality). The man LOVES to hear himself rattle on for hours, and he did, preening before the camera for hours a day for anyone who will listen, and everyone listened, early on.

New York is in the same place as everyone else now.

From a personal perspective, I don't think most people need to top-down messaging either for what it's worth... I think it was just a convenient smear opportunity for folks to bash their rivals for "setting a bad example"

The main part of my point was that what's good for the goose is good for the gander... Meaning, someone can't sit back and bash conservative governors advocating for re-opening, but then try to rationalize liberal leaders and pundits advocating for social justice protests.

Even members of the medical communities (the same ones who are currently filming commercials pleading with people to stay home) were saying things like this a few months ago.

Suddenly, Public Health Officials Say Social Justice Matters More Than Social Distance

"“We should always evaluate the risks and benefits of efforts to control the virus,” Jennifer Nuzzo, a Johns Hopkins epidemiologist, tweeted on Tuesday. “In this moment the public health risks of not protesting to demand an end to systemic racism greatly exceed the harms of the virus.”"

So the demands for consistent messaging need to be applied equally if they're going to be applied.

Upvote 0