• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I give up

MooCow

Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have determined that I will never grow any further in my Christian walk than I am right now. I am too self-centered, too busy, too lazy, and too unwilling to do any work to get any further.

I never pray. I never go to church. I never read the Bible.

I'm just thankful that God knew this a LONG time ago, and he has already forgiven me for it.

See you in Heaven, guys :-/

strengthinweakness

Engaged to be married to Starcradle!
May 31, 2004
Maryland
✟8,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
BlazerSax,

Hi, my brother in Christ. :) You sound a lot like how I have been for most of my life as a Christian-- very down on yourself, feeling as if you should be "closer to God," putting intense pressure on yourself to "live a better Christian life," etc. Well, I have some great new news for you-- news that I wish I had heard years ago! :) When it comes down to it, you aren't the one who is going to make yourself more like Christ-- because you can't ! Just as we are not the ones who save ourselves from sin and Hell (Jesus is), we are also not ulltimately in charge of our sanctification (the process of becoming more like Christ). Jesus saves us, and Jesus sanctifies us. We are utterly incapable of saving or sanctifying ourselves. In that sense, it is a very good thing that you are "giving up"-- because when we give up our own feeble attempts at righteousness, then we are ready to completely turn our sanctification over to God (who has always beem in charge of any it way). As someone once said, "The end of ourselves is the beginning of God"-- and therefore, the end of despair (which is based in ourselves) and the beginning of real, genuine hope for change (which is based in God).

Furthermore, even the desire to God's will is a gift from God Himself. I struggled in frustration for years, trying to somewhow increase my desire to do the things that I knew God wanted me to do... but the pull of sin was so strong, and I seemed to basically almost go nowhere in my attempts (sincere attempts) to do right. Later, I learned that this was because I had been trying to do right through my own strength , rather than truly, deeply relying on God to work change within my heart. If we do not rely completely on God for our sanctification-- and by that, I mean leaning on Him in utter desperation for minute-by-minute help in avoiding sin and doing what is right. If we aren't relying on Him, then we will inevitably end up relying on ourselves (and/or other sinful human beings) for the strength to do what is right. Then, when we inevitably fall into sin, because of our weakness, we struggle with frustration, bitterness, despair, and anger against ourselves. If we truly understand and believe that we that are fatally sick (in a spiritual sense) with sin though, and that only Jesus can "cure" us (through His atoning death for our sins on the cross), then we won't fall into despair when confronted with our weakness or even our hardheartedness and spiritual laziness-- because sanctification is a process , and God is our sanctifier, not ourselves! In other words, we can't "make" ourselves better, but He who began a good work in us (including you!) will be faithful to complete it! :clap: We just have to remember that and rely on Him!

I want to recommend a a great Christian book to you. It may just change your life- it has definitely changed mine! It's titled Revolution Within , and the author is Dwight Edwards. Many of the thoughts in this post are paraphrases from that book. Edwards is incredible at showing how to "unleash" God's transforming power in our lives! We can't truly change ourselves, but He can!

Don't lose hope, my brother. :) We may be weak and sinful, but with God, all things are possible-- including our becoming more like His son! Lean on Him, desperately lean on Him, and He will change you. It's a process, but the change will come. I am praying for you! :)

In Christ's love and hope,
Chris

Upvote 0

MooCow

Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's the problem, though. I've tried leaning on God and praying and reading the Bible and stuff, but I don't feel any closer to God than I did 3 years ago when I first accepted him.

In the words of God, I am a "lukewarm" Christian, and I am not "on fire" for him.

Upvote 0

jbarcher

ANE Social Science Researcher
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,136.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Blazer, I came across this when checking out your posts. :)

I only have one thing to say. Do not use feelings as a judge of where you are in relationship with God. Moods, for instance, almost always find their start in the physical condition. Yet your physical condition generally has no bearing on your relationship with God (it might, if you've been fasting and are physically weakened). One of the men who worked with Isaac Newton, and I forget his name at the moment, wrote (I paraphrase) "Where is the joy that I once had when I first met Jesus Christ?" A few sentences later, he wrote that the world could never fill the void that he had--isn't that a wonderful reminder from God to constantly seek Him?

I personally do not chronically experience a profound sense of joy, although I have. And yet the testimony of others about me is quite strong compared to my time and length as a Christian. If you'd like, I'll share a bit about myself, so you can really see that feelings don't matter as much as information.

God bless! :wave:

Upvote 0

MooCow

Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sweetsoulsong said:
Hi Blazer, I came across this when checking out your posts. :)

I only have one thing to say. Do not use feelings as a judge of where you are in relationship with God. Moods, for instance, almost always find their start in the physical condition. Yet your physical condition generally has no bearing on your relationship with God (it might, if you've been fasting and are physically weakened). One of the men who worked with Isaac Newton, and I forget his name at the moment, wrote (I paraphrase) "Where is the joy that I once had when I first met Jesus Christ?" A few sentences later, he wrote that the world could never fill the void that he had--isn't that a wonderful reminder from God to constantly seek Him?

I personally do not chronically experience a profound sense of joy, although I have. And yet the testimony of others about me is quite strong compared to my time and length as a Christian. If you'd like, I'll share a bit about myself, so you can really see that feelings don't matter as much as information.

God bless! :wave:
Yes, please expound, because I don't get what you're saying. :(

Upvote 0

strengthinweakness

May 31, 2004
Maryland
✟8,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Blazer, I am wondering.... just a thought... do you have a close relationship with both of your parents (if they are stll together and/or in your life)? Sometimes, when one has trouble feeling "on fire" for God, or he/she is just not ever really excited about the awesome reality of having a relationship with Him, it can be partially due to a lack of love from, and closeness with, one's parents. I don't mean to irritate you with my amateur attempts at Christian psychology. :) Please forgive me if I have irritated or offended you. That has definitely not been my intention.

Take care of yourself, my brother in Christ. Hang in there. You aren't beyond hope... no Christian is beyond hope, because our hope is not in ourselves and our attempts at righteousness (sincere though they may be) but in God and what He has done for us (dying on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins) and still will do for us (namely, carrry His good work in us through to completion!). I am praying for you. Thanks for replying. :)

Your brother in Christ,
Chris

Upvote 0

MooCow

Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
strengthinweakness said:
Blazer, I am wondering.... just a thought... do you have a close relationship with both of your parents (if they are stll together and/or in your life)? Sometimes, when one has trouble feeling "on fire" for God, or he/she is just not ever really excited about the awesome reality of having a relationship with Him, it can be partially due to a lack of love from, and closeness with, one's parents. I don't mean to irritate you with my amateur attempts at Christian psychology. :) Please forgive me if I have irritated or offended you. That has definitely not been my intention.

Take care of yourself, my brother in Christ. Hang in there. You aren't beyond hope... no Christian is beyond hope, because our hope is not in ourselves and our attempts at righteousness (sincere though they may be) but in God and what He has done for us (dying on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins) and still will do for us (namely, carrry His good work in us through to completion!). I am praying for you. Thanks for replying. :)

Your brother in Christ,
Chris
Actually I have a very close and healthy relationship with my parents, which I'm really happy to have since most people don't seem to have it.

Upvote 0

strengthinweakness

May 31, 2004
Maryland
✟8,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm very glad to hear that you do have a good relationship with your parents, Blazer. That is a true gift which (as you said) many people do not have. Praise God! :) Unfortunately, I am not that close with my parents (actually, my birth mother is deceased), but I do love them, and I have a Heavenly Father who loves me infinitely, so it's all good (did I actually just say the phrase "it's all good"?! lol)!

One major thing in my life that God has used to set me "on fire" for Him is a deepening awareness of my own depravity... of just how wretched and horrible I am when I don't continually turn to Him and desperately rely on Him to work within me to resist the pull of sin in my life. I think that the "turning point" (or at least one of them) in my walk with God, when I really "fell in love" with Him, so to speak, and my relationship with Him became not just intellectual, but very emotional, passionate and deeply committed, was at a Promise Keepers' convention that I attended just a few months ago. The change within me happened as we rose to sing "How Great Thou Art." In the singing of that one song, I was brought face-to-face with God's incredible, unfathomable goodness and my own terrible sinfulness and hardness of heart. When I began to truly see all that Jesus had rescued me from (sin, death, Hell... and myself) by paying the supreme sacrifice on the cross for me, I felt deeply moved and profoundly grateful. I actually started crying-- God broke my heart by showing me just how much He loved me and just how little, thus far, I had been loving Him. The fact is, He loves me more intensely and more committedly than I could ever love Him-- how could I not want to serve Him with every fiber of my being? When we truly begin to see our the depths of own wickedness (very scary, sad stuff!), then we also begin to understand just how much God loves us and then where and how far He was willing to go to save us. Simply put, He went to the cross and died an unspeakably agonizing death to save us, sinners who by nature spit in His face or at least ignore Him. Now, that is love. Given that He has loved me with such a stunning love, I can't help but be on fire for Him! What He has done for me and for all sinners is far better than even being healed of a terminal disease! Actually, He has healed all believers of not one but two terminal diseases-- slavery to sin and death. Think deeply about that, and really pray about it. It just may begin to break you of your lukewarmness. In Christian love, I pray that you might truly be open to being broken, so that you can live the radically loving, holy life that you were designed by God to live. May God bless you, my brother in Christ. :)

In His name,
Chris

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
See...there's your first mistake...you have given up...God can work in your life, even if you don't work...we can't do anything to change us anyway...the only way to change is to have God change you...even if you don't pray, god can change you...so, I'll pray for you...and I'll make sure and seek you out when we get to heaven...

Upvote 0

MooCow

Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LAWise520 said:
See...there's your first mistake...you have given up...God can work in your life, even if you don't work...we can't do anything to change us anyway...the only way to change is to have God change you...even if you don't pray, god can change you...so, I'll pray for you...and I'll make sure and seek you out when we get to heaven...
:)

Upvote 0

strengthinweakness

May 31, 2004
Maryland
✟8,717.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
LAWise520 said:

My sister in Christ, you just said it ALL! :) AMEN!

Your brother in Christ,
Chris

Upvote 0

cdj

Jan 8, 2004
Guernsey
✟7,674.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Blazer

I just wanted to let you know that I am feeling the same way as you are and have been for some years, even though I still pray every day, I cant seem to get myself in church, maybe its because I have been through so much rubbish in my life, and it all seems to get in the way, and when something goes wrong in my life, I feel further from him than I ever have and wonder why I bother praying.
is that how you feel when things go wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dexx

Aug 17, 2004
✟15,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can relate. In 1984 i committed my life to Christ. The years that followed were difficult. I always felt that i was letting God down and felt he was distant/silent. The only growth i had was in knowledge. I did not grow as a Christian. Depression was my normal state and bible study & prayer were dry and condemning.

A few years ago i gave up believing that i would ever change. God was not personal. My mind was not renewing. I was not growing in Christlikeness and had little desire to persue Godliness. At the begining of 2004 (20 years after starting) I gave up. If God is there (and i even doubt that these days) then he will need to intervene. I have no strength or will to try any more.

Upvote 0

MooCow

Aug 21, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
✟9,858.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dexx said:
I can relate. In 1984 i committed my life to Christ. The years that followed were difficult. I always felt that i was letting God down and felt he was distant/silent. The only growth i had was in knowledge. I did not grow as a Christian. Depression was my normal state and bible study & prayer were dry and condemning.

A few years ago i gave up believing that i would ever change. God was not personal. My mind was not renewing. I was not growing in Christlikeness and had little desire to persue Godliness. At the begining of 2004 (20 years after starting) I gave up. If God is there (and i even doubt that these days) then he will need to intervene. I have no strength or will to try any more.
he is trying to intervene, but neither of us are listening. Don't expect some huge ray of light and a big booming voice...that's now the way God works anymore.

Upvote 0