I found this this post on Quora in response to me being doubtful of my faith how would you respond

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here is the post.

There is a maxim in Latin: Qui tacit consentire videtur - loosely translated as ‘Silence gives consent’, or in the case of formal proceeding ‘No objection noted’. It was demonstrated in the play A Man for All Seasons. A play by Robert Bolt about the trail of Thomas More during the reign of King Henry VIII of England, religion played a significant part in the events of the time, the play was based upon real historical events.

Thomas More when accused of speaking against the kings annulment (Taking sides with the then Pope) to his first wife despite him never having spoken to anyone about the matter or having given any written opinion contends:

“The maxim is "Qui tacet consentire": the maxim of the law is "Silence gives consent". If therefore you wish to construe what my silence betokened, you must construe that I consented [to the annulment], not that I denied.”

He was countering the argument made by Thomas Wolsey (Cardinal) that… if he made toward a victim with a dagger from behind, anyone witnessing such an event would be guilty under the law in part for any injury to the victim if they did not speak out against such an action.

If you read the play and have some sympathy for Thomas More and his plight, it might behove you to read his history, he tortured and burned people for ‘heresy’ when he had the power of the king. He denied it, saying he only imprisoned Protestants for their safety. No-one imprisoned for being anti-Catholic in those days when Henry VIII was rabidly Catholic and for such given the tile Fidi Defensor by the Pope (A title still used by British monarchs) was spared torture, no-one.

You believe you have faith in an omnipotent omniscient, prescient god who at times spoke directly to humans and gave them written words either in the form of stone tablets, or divine inspiration to write sacred texts? He knows all, the past the future, everything. Why is it that not one of his solutions in the original Hebrew texts ever worked out?

So…

Why did your god stay silent about germ theory - a simple explanation and admonition to boil water, clean down surfaces after soiling with biological decaying matter, a divine design for a microscope? …and wash your hands with soap made from a divinely given formula of easily obtained ingredients would have saved the suffering and needless death of literally millions of babies and children. Even if he only gave such secrets to his ‘chosen’ people? Why the silence on the matter? Silence gave consent to millennia of needless suffering.

Why did your god not speak openly and plainly against the use of violence against children? Why did he test Abraham by asking him to terrify his child into believing he would be offered as a burnt sacrifice? He is tolerant of psychological trauma, or is he ignorant of human psychology? If you are honest with yourself, you know if you saw an old man talking to an invisible being, tying up a terrified child, getting a knife and building a pile of wood to burn that child on - you would call the police, the psychiatric services and child welfare services and you would be very unhappy if that man was ever allowed near a child again - yet if you read it in an old book you were taught not to question you don’t look at with a modern sensibility and credulity.

You would not respect any person who said that such behaviour was reasonable in todays society, so why insist that a believer in such an event should have their views respected? An omniscient being pretends to order a child sacrifice by his father? If you really believed that happened, that alone should tell you that this god is a dangerous insane individual who would be locked up permanently in todays society.

Why would he mandate on his own divinely written stone tablet against taking the life of another human being, and then order his chosen people to go killing a whole race of people without any explanation of why he countermanded his own commandments? Why do you as reasonable person today denounce genocide, and yet laud ‘historical genocide as ‘divine’? Do you really believe it as truthful historical account? If so wouldn’t you be ashamed to ally yourself with such actions?

Why does he not explain why it is that you must ‘turn the other cheek’ at any offence against you and give unconditional forgiveness even if it causes you bodily harm - and yet he could not forgive the stealing of some fruit by a long forgotten human ancestor without the necessity to torture to death another human being? Which reasonable society would hold the child guilty for the crime of a parent, let alone all future offspring. We would consider that notion of inherited guilt insanity.

Why would an omnipotent omniscient being see a human tortured to death as the only remedy to an offence that could in no way hurt him or anyone else? If you took some vegetables from my garden, and I said the only way I will let you off and not torture you forever is to wait until another man is tortured to death and then you can ask for my forgiveness and I might change my mind - You’d say I was batshit certifiably crazy, and you know it. Why is he silent about why you must do what the omnipotent seems incapable of doing himself? ..and even then you have to beg forgiveness every single day or else be tortured yourself for eternity. You offer silence in the face of such insanity?

If I ask you today, do you truly believe that anyone should be tortured for eternity for ANY crime, and if a man said such a thing while standing in front of you and showed he intended to carry it out, what would you answer - truthfully? Would you stay silent?

Why did your infallible ‘loving god’ stay silent when his church leadership was burning people alive in the middle ages?

Why did he stay silent when his ‘followers’ were making rules about taking slaves and beating those slaves to death, or injuring them? Forcing women who had been raped to marry their rapist, or to put the woman to death if she was raped within the city walls and thus ‘could have cried out’ to stop herself from being defiled? You really adhere to such logic?

This is what a dispassionate outside observer sees of a biblical theist - you don’t really believe what is in that book, you don’t follow it’s tenets and you would not tolerate living in such a society. We don’t endlessly forgive violent criminals in a reasonable society, and we don’t spare murders because we might have ‘sinned’ once that wise logic is fallacious and we know it, we would not consider any society that did ‘wise’.

We don’t as a reasonable society require anyone to be tortured to death for any reason, and if you say you do out loud you would be rightly decried for it by your fellow man, and yet believers proudly wear the symbol of torture and murder around their necks. If I took your children and told you they were going to prison for life because their great-grandfather stole some bread - you wouldn’t countenance such a notion.

People who say they believe, don’t really believe at all. Example: you don’t believe that those with psychological problems are possessed by a crowd of demons - Jesus apparently did. You know that modern psychology and medicine is to be trusted, not biblical canon. When someone is sick or in pain you don’t take them to a priest or a prophet, and if you were crazy enough to do that you know you would be condemned by atheist and believer alike as a fundamentalist.

The vast majority of it you ignore and the glaring omissions you don’t even question. Soap. Why no soap? Why no instruction to boil water? Why not give his followers a map of the world as he knew he had made it, it would have saved countless lives of people lost at sea if he had shown them what magnetism was, and how to make a compass.. Indeed if you read any part of that book critically you realise this omnipotent omniscient being knows no more than the average superstitious goat herder about the real world, and what is in it.

You know this really, but your silence gives consent to the proliferation of backward attitudes, monstrous human behaviours in the name of religion and hundreds of years of suffering you accept without question. you know that even with your level of knowledge today gained outside of religious doctrine, if you could go back 2000 years and you saw children dying of dysentery you would tell everyone who would listen - boil the water before you give it to children to drink. When will you accept that your ‘loving omniscient god couldn’t be bothered to do even that for ‘his people’ - or did he just not know? The wonderful sermon on the mount would have been a lot more wonderful if it had included a 20 minute demonstration of how to do CPR.

“I don’t really know much of anything” is not a defence when there are those of us fighting the avoidable suffering caused by superstition and ignorance.. you are either for rational reasonable human behaviour or you are not. Let me remind you what your preferred text says about being lukewarm - it is not an option, it won’t save you. You have to choose… are you really prepared to choose a god who doesn’t know what causes disease, or didn’t care to share that information if he had it?

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You have to choose… are you really prepared to choose a god who doesn’t know what causes disease, or didn’t care to share that information if he had it?

In my daily life I would ignore such a person. The answer for all evil is simply: God permits evil so that some greater good may come about, the good of which are infinite (finite bad + infinite good = infinite good). We do not know what this is in the overwhelming majority of instances, but through the knowledge of God revealed (in Christ most particularly) we know that the reason is in fact there.

Foolish things like this should not concern your faith at all.

Other than that this text makes many false claims. God did not leave the destruction of the Canaanites without explanation, and it introduces a contradiction into the text where there is none by not considering the justified and unjustified killing distinction. The Fall was not some mere "stealing of fruit" as shown by the text of the Scriptures as a whole, and I do in fact believe in demonic possession and explicitly distrust a lot of modern psychology and psychiatry in favor of what has been given to us in the Church. This person seems to assume that Christians and them secretly share the same worldview except we are only kidding ourselves, this is false and I have nothing to do with their vain thoughts on God and His Scriptures.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Abaxvahl
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why did your god stay silent
Well, I see questions in this post you have quoted in your Post #1, and these questions confirm my belief in the existence of humans who claim they are smarter than God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t see how you can reasonably ignore that kind of critique.

I think we need to say clearly that much of Israel thought God wanted things he actually didn’t. As to why God didn’t speak out, part of the answer is that he didn’t have the opportunity, because historians tell us that the OT up to the time of the kings isn’t historical. In fact Israel originated in the highlands of Palestine, and infiltrated the cities over time without major battles.

However the people that put the OT together obviously thought that was the way God wanted people to act. So the question is, did God say otherwise? I think he did. While the editors of much of the historical material thought God had told Israel to kill everyone else, the prophets began to develop the idea that Israel was called to be a light to the Gentiles. The book of Jonah is a biting satire attacking the kind of nationalism that wanted to see other nations destroyed.

By Jesus’ time the concept of the righteous Gentile had developed further, and Judaism had started to become an international religion, which necessarily separated it from the kind of xenophobitc approach you see in much of the OT. This attempt mostly failed, to a large part because the Jews remaining in Palestine kept the older approach alive, and insisted on trying to fight the Romans.

But the NT presents its own moral problems. While Paul envisions the whole world coming together under Christ, Matthew has a harsher vision. Assuming he taught eternal torment for most of mankind (which might not be true, but seems plausible), the resulting vision of God is one that most outsiders would recently see as a cosmic abuser. Jesus certainly said we would be held responsible for our actions, but I don’t believe that represents his actual teaching.

I think we need to reject abusive concepts of God, even when those concepts are found in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
First off God loves everyone, the death of Jesus proves that.
Secondly God knows the future and can see sins people will commit and decide to do something about them or not.
Third God allowed choice, and when Adam/Eve sinned they chose "not God" and thus allowed corruption (sin) to enter his creation and because God gave them rule over it then corruption was their choice for their offspring to deal with (sin).
Fourth, choice means people must be allowed to do evil and thus be judged for doing it without allowing people to sin while giving them only the choice of accepting rejecting him it isn't a fair choice as the opposite of love is hate and as people have to act in faith to love God, they also act in faithlessness (to God) to hate others both these choices prove ones allegiance to God and their allegiance is either a ticket to heaven or hell.
Fifth, and finally as we have nowhere near the intelligence, perfection, and knowledge of people and the future there is no way we can see what effect his acting upon a group of people or individual will have on others. If the people that he had wiped out as a nation were allowed to live likely they would have either attacked and destroyed Israel entirely and thus Jesus would not have been their savior and we would all go to hell for our sins or the people would have been severely tempted and abandoned God enough that the nation would no longer exist to glorify him.

Typically most people that try to judge God by what he does have never considered what they would do if they were in his place with his knowledge of things and the consequences of their decisions if they were wrong.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did your god not speak openly and plainly against the use of violence against children?

Quite plainly:

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I ask you today, do you truly believe that anyone should be tortured for eternity for ANY crime....

If a person rejects forgiveness given freely, then any resulting anguish on that matter is voluntary.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have to choose… are you really prepared to choose a god who doesn’t know what causes disease, or didn’t care to share that information if he had it?

Disease is the result of sin. The solution is to ask forgiveness for ones sins and then enjoy the benefits for eternity. Sure this short life has pain. End the pain with doses of morphine, which works wonders. The problem is that when you inject enough morphine to stop all pain.....then you stop breathing.

So pain and feeling is what keeps us alive and breathing. It is necessary.
It's how we know we are still alive.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did your god stay silent about germ theory - a simple explanation and admonition to boil water, clean down surfaces after soiling with biological decaying matter, a divine design for a microscope?

Immortality is not the goal. God could "--blink--" and we could all have the gift of immortality.

So there is no argument about germs or suffering or lack of information. Immortality is not what God wants for our physical bodies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is what a dispassionate outside observer sees of a biblical theist - you don’t really believe what is in that book, you don’t follow it’s tenets and you would not tolerate living in such a society.

This is another example of where atheists and fundamentalists are strange, but very comfortable, bed fellows. What is the gospel, but living as Christ did, loving as we have been loved by him? If your interlocutor has a quick fix for our inability to love like Christ, then it's worth a response. Otherwise, it's *yawn*.

Silence is not consent. I ignore idiots all day long, every single day.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is another example of where atheists and fundamentalists are strange, but very comfortable, bed fellows. What is the gospel, but living as Christ did, loving as we have been loved by him? If your interlocutor has a quick fix for our inability to love like Christ, then it's worth a response. Otherwise, it's *yawn*.

Silence is not consent. I ignore idiots all day long, every single day.
Silence is not consent in all cases, maybe even in most cases. But when you’re God and are guiding a people, I think we can reasonably ask what kind of guidance you’ve given, and part of that is whether you’ve tried to stop major abuse of others.

Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Silence is not consent in all cases, maybe even in most cases. But when you’re God and are guiding a people, I think we can reasonably ask what kind of guidance you’ve given, and part of that is whether you’ve tried to stop major abuse of others.

Considering that He made man intrinsically good, provided sacrifice for their sins after our corruption, promulgated the Law of Love on all of our hearts, and is "working salvation in the midst of the Earth" (Ps 74), it would seem to me that He has/is.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes, that is a legitimate question for a fundamentalist, for someone whose faith is in the scriptures. For a follower of Christ, the objective is obvious: do what is good and works in favor of life; live as he lived. He came so that we might have life and have it abundantly. He died for the same reason. It's easy. We act like that isn't the simple message because we are bewitched by an idolatry of scripture, which is perfectly critiqued by atheists, but the gospel is not a mystery. If your love is abusive, it's not the love of Christ. We don't have to defend the scriptures, we only have to live the life. If we lived the life, if we loved as we are loved, the critique would hold no weight.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God exists outside of time, so God's timing is always perfect.
This will be obvious after you've seen it all played out to perfection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is the post.

There is a maxim in Latin: Qui tacit consentire videtur - loosely translated as ‘Silence gives consent’, or in the case of formal proceeding ‘No objection noted’. It was demonstrated in the play A Man for All Seasons. A play by Robert Bolt about the trail of Thomas More during the reign of King Henry VIII of England, religion played a significant part in the events of the time, the play was based upon real historical events.

Thomas More when accused of speaking against the kings annulment (Taking sides with the then Pope) to his first wife despite him never having spoken to anyone about the matter or having given any written opinion contends:

“The maxim is "Qui tacet consentire": the maxim of the law is "Silence gives consent". If therefore you wish to construe what my silence betokened, you must construe that I consented [to the annulment], not that I denied.”

He was countering the argument made by Thomas Wolsey (Cardinal) that… if he made toward a victim with a dagger from behind, anyone witnessing such an event would be guilty under the law in part for any injury to the victim if they did not speak out against such an action.

If you read the play and have some sympathy for Thomas More and his plight, it might behove you to read his history, he tortured and burned people for ‘heresy’ when he had the power of the king. He denied it, saying he only imprisoned Protestants for their safety. No-one imprisoned for being anti-Catholic in those days when Henry VIII was rabidly Catholic and for such given the tile Fidi Defensor by the Pope (A title still used by British monarchs) was spared torture, no-one.

You believe you have faith in an omnipotent omniscient, prescient god who at times spoke directly to humans and gave them written words either in the form of stone tablets, or divine inspiration to write sacred texts? He knows all, the past the future, everything. Why is it that not one of his solutions in the original Hebrew texts ever worked out?

So…

Why did your god stay silent about germ theory - a simple explanation and admonition to boil water, clean down surfaces after soiling with biological decaying matter, a divine design for a microscope? …and wash your hands with soap made from a divinely given formula of easily obtained ingredients would have saved the suffering and needless death of literally millions of babies and children. Even if he only gave such secrets to his ‘chosen’ people? Why the silence on the matter? Silence gave consent to millennia of needless suffering.

Why did your god not speak openly and plainly against the use of violence against children? Why did he test Abraham by asking him to terrify his child into believing he would be offered as a burnt sacrifice? He is tolerant of psychological trauma, or is he ignorant of human psychology? If you are honest with yourself, you know if you saw an old man talking to an invisible being, tying up a terrified child, getting a knife and building a pile of wood to burn that child on - you would call the police, the psychiatric services and child welfare services and you would be very unhappy if that man was ever allowed near a child again - yet if you read it in an old book you were taught not to question you don’t look at with a modern sensibility and credulity.

You would not respect any person who said that such behaviour was reasonable in todays society, so why insist that a believer in such an event should have their views respected? An omniscient being pretends to order a child sacrifice by his father? If you really believed that happened, that alone should tell you that this god is a dangerous insane individual who would be locked up permanently in todays society.

Why would he mandate on his own divinely written stone tablet against taking the life of another human being, and then order his chosen people to go killing a whole race of people without any explanation of why he countermanded his own commandments? Why do you as reasonable person today denounce genocide, and yet laud ‘historical genocide as ‘divine’? Do you really believe it as truthful historical account? If so wouldn’t you be ashamed to ally yourself with such actions?

Why does he not explain why it is that you must ‘turn the other cheek’ at any offence against you and give unconditional forgiveness even if it causes you bodily harm - and yet he could not forgive the stealing of some fruit by a long forgotten human ancestor without the necessity to torture to death another human being? Which reasonable society would hold the child guilty for the crime of a parent, let alone all future offspring. We would consider that notion of inherited guilt insanity.

Why would an omnipotent omniscient being see a human tortured to death as the only remedy to an offence that could in no way hurt him or anyone else? If you took some vegetables from my garden, and I said the only way I will let you off and not torture you forever is to wait until another man is tortured to death and then you can ask for my forgiveness and I might change my mind - You’d say I was batshit certifiably crazy, and you know it. Why is he silent about why you must do what the omnipotent seems incapable of doing himself? ..and even then you have to beg forgiveness every single day or else be tortured yourself for eternity. You offer silence in the face of such insanity?

If I ask you today, do you truly believe that anyone should be tortured for eternity for ANY crime, and if a man said such a thing while standing in front of you and showed he intended to carry it out, what would you answer - truthfully? Would you stay silent?

Why did your infallible ‘loving god’ stay silent when his church leadership was burning people alive in the middle ages?

Why did he stay silent when his ‘followers’ were making rules about taking slaves and beating those slaves to death, or injuring them? Forcing women who had been raped to marry their rapist, or to put the woman to death if she was raped within the city walls and thus ‘could have cried out’ to stop herself from being defiled? You really adhere to such logic?

This is what a dispassionate outside observer sees of a biblical theist - you don’t really believe what is in that book, you don’t follow it’s tenets and you would not tolerate living in such a society. We don’t endlessly forgive violent criminals in a reasonable society, and we don’t spare murders because we might have ‘sinned’ once that wise logic is fallacious and we know it, we would not consider any society that did ‘wise’.

We don’t as a reasonable society require anyone to be tortured to death for any reason, and if you say you do out loud you would be rightly decried for it by your fellow man, and yet believers proudly wear the symbol of torture and murder around their necks. If I took your children and told you they were going to prison for life because their great-grandfather stole some bread - you wouldn’t countenance such a notion.

People who say they believe, don’t really believe at all. Example: you don’t believe that those with psychological problems are possessed by a crowd of demons - Jesus apparently did. You know that modern psychology and medicine is to be trusted, not biblical canon. When someone is sick or in pain you don’t take them to a priest or a prophet, and if you were crazy enough to do that you know you would be condemned by atheist and believer alike as a fundamentalist.

The vast majority of it you ignore and the glaring omissions you don’t even question. Soap. Why no soap? Why no instruction to boil water? Why not give his followers a map of the world as he knew he had made it, it would have saved countless lives of people lost at sea if he had shown them what magnetism was, and how to make a compass.. Indeed if you read any part of that book critically you realise this omnipotent omniscient being knows no more than the average superstitious goat herder about the real world, and what is in it.

You know this really, but your silence gives consent to the proliferation of backward attitudes, monstrous human behaviours in the name of religion and hundreds of years of suffering you accept without question. you know that even with your level of knowledge today gained outside of religious doctrine, if you could go back 2000 years and you saw children dying of dysentery you would tell everyone who would listen - boil the water before you give it to children to drink. When will you accept that your ‘loving omniscient god couldn’t be bothered to do even that for ‘his people’ - or did he just not know? The wonderful sermon on the mount would have been a lot more wonderful if it had included a 20 minute demonstration of how to do CPR.

“I don’t really know much of anything” is not a defence when there are those of us fighting the avoidable suffering caused by superstition and ignorance.. you are either for rational reasonable human behaviour or you are not. Let me remind you what your preferred text says about being lukewarm - it is not an option, it won’t save you. You have to choose… are you really prepared to choose a god who doesn’t know what causes disease, or didn’t care to share that information if he had it?

This writer hasn't responded to anyone. Is this a Ghost-Troll then?

Somebody should speak well of him if he died after posting this.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here is what the above post was a response to which I did write.
You know I’ve been looking at this debate from afar for a long time and I decided it waste of time but little did I realize that it was because as a theist and a Christian I have absolutely zero empirical evidence of God’s existence and does anyone else.

Now I realize that I really don’t know much of anything and that I need to examine my beliefs more critically and that have a lot to learn.

I realize some theist and Christians alike are going to bash me for “abandoning my faith” I’m not. What I’am actually doing is being as intellectually honest as possible and admit my ignorance and trying to learn and be a better person and be more accepting of others viewpoints even if they conflict with my worldview because that's what mature adults do.

I might be a christian, but I never understood why religious people feel the need to judge demean or force their beliefs on others. Or deny wisdom and knowledge from others because it conflicts with their view of the world.

No I can’t apart of that anymore. Make no mistake I still believe in God and the gospel but I want to learn y'all viewpoints because ignoring your input would blind and deafen me to so much insight and knowledge.

Not only that I’m disgusted with how religious people have treated people outside their group for thousands of years. Yes I know by continuing to be ignorant I’m part of the problem. Yes I’am aware of my own hypocrisy and I’m sorry and I seek to fix this problem and be better.

I apologize for the long post, I’m not here for attention or praise or clout or to try and be morally superior or anything like that I’m doing the right thing but admitting my mistakes and my ignorance and I’m asking for help nothing more nothing less.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have absolutely zero empirical evidence of God’s existence and does anyone else.

Or deny wisdom and knowledge from others because it conflicts with their view of the world.

Not sure what they mean by "empirical evidence," but plenty of people have evidence for God, and in fact all have access to it as declared by St. Paul says: "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all impiety and unrighteousness of people, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what can be known about God is evident among them, for God made it clear to them. For from the creation of the world, his invisible attributes, both his eternal power and deity, are discerned clearly, being understood in the things created, so that they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their reasoning, and their senseless hearts were darkened."

As for wisdom and knowledge, Christians should not deny it if it is true wisdom and true knowledge and historically have not (making use of classical philosophy for instance to elucidate the faith more clearly), but if it just conflicts with what we have received from God then it is literally worthless and a lie, as St. Paul also says: "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, for it is written, 'The one who catches the wise in their craftiness,' and again, 'The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.'"

Very weird post overall.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfChrist85

Servant Of The True King
Sep 20, 2021
Florida
✟26,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I admit it was weird really should've proof read it when I wrote it but I was venting and for the record I meant I had no empirical evidence that would convince an atheist to convert but yeah it was a weird post.

• Friendly
Upvote 0