Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've never asked someone to "pray for me". Not that I don't need them in a sinful sense. Just I feel selfish asking for them. And I see other peoples' problems are much more serious than mine.
There are people who lose jobs, are suffering abuse at home, have serious debilitating mental health issues, lose a loved one, are physically sick or are just recovering from past trauma.
So no, I'm not asking for prayers now. I just want to admit this to you and wonder if anyone else feels the same.
I do pray for others now, which is progress to say 12 months ago. And I do believe in the power of prayer.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel the same way, actually.

Although I do ask for prayers, because I believe it helps a lot.
Doesn't change the fact that I don't like doing it, because put in the light of say, starving orphans, my problems are pretty trivial.
Sorta how I look at it.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm the same way. Not only because my problems seem insignificant in relation to bigger things; but also because I simply accept everything that happens to me as the will of God, which I am perfectly content to endure. So praying about myself feels a lot to me like being discontent with the will of God, so I don't do it. Honestly, these days I pray the Lord's prayer, and let the Spirit do the talking, even in that I don't know what exactly to pray for, as the apostle wrote something similar: Romans 8:26.

But in the end, if someone is praying for something, I'd certainly rather it was about something besides me; something, I don't know; important?

• Informative
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm the same way. Not only because my problems seem insignificant in relation to bigger things; but also because I simply accept everything that happens to me as the will of God, which I am perfectly content to endure. So praying about myself feels a lot to me like being discontent with the will of God, so I don't do it. Honestly, these days I pray the Lord's prayer, and let the Spirit do the talking, even in that I don't know what exactly to pray for, as the apostle wrote something similar: Romans 8:26.

But in the end, if someone is praying for something, I'd certainly rather it was about something besides me; something, I don't know; important?
I like the scripture you cited.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that's OK. I was that way too, and I guess I still am. Honestly I think it depends on your spirituality. You should really talk to an experienced priest or spiritual director if it bugs you a lot. I'm a bit like John above too, I try to appreciate the will of God in everything, and sometimes that gives me less reason to ask for things to be any different. Perhaps I have become too fatalistic, however?

Now days I pray less, and less the sorts of prayers that I used to. I don't know if it's good or bad, honestly. I suppose I just feel freer to not do so. I find occasional moments of silent thanksgiving and appreciation, and occasionally I pray for my church and my pastor. Other than that, I'm not exactly the most prayerful person. But I guess maybe that's the Lutheranism rubbing off on me. As Garrison Keillor joked, "Lutherans believe in prayer, just not always out loud".

I asked my pastor why I have awkwardness with prayer, comparing myself to my perceptions of a "normal" way to be a Christian, and he told me, I'm just going through a major transition in my life, and to not rush to any judgments on myself. Maybe something is going on in your life?

Alot of my prayer is really just meditation, I guess. Thinking about God and the mysteries. That's still prayer in the Catholic sense. Especially if it leads to contemplation. But I'm not sure most Protestants would talk about it as prayer.

You know, Dietrich Bonhoeffer as a child sat for hours in bed meditating on eternity, transfixed by that idea. Yet sometimes in his life he complained in letters of not even picking up a Bible, and wondering if he was a hypocrite. Perhaps sometimes we judge ourselves too harshly because our spirituality is not conventional. But it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I just hope my questioning of Catholicism and Christianity is in the right spirit and not restless immaturity. :)

I have a sense it is a certain amount of immaturity, but I wouldn't blame you. With live in a confusing world. I know in my case, I still wrestle, but learning to accept that took a certain amount of just giving up and surrendering to my own finitude and surrendering to the sense of calling I felt. Taking a leap of faith and getting out of that left-brain analysis. In my case, I believe a sense of lack of trust and being wounded from previous church experiences played a part

I really have regrets sometimes I did not stay at a liberal independent catholic parish I used to go to, at times. But I also realize I was far too wounded to make the kind of commitment. I had very little trust in authority figures at that time, even liberal ones. And some things about the church just weren't comforting, the polity of the church left me uneasy (one of those episcopus vagans situations).

So, maybe the issue is down to a lack of a sense of calling or mistrust of authority (or misunderstanding of authority?). I hope my experiences might give you something to relate to.

Upvote 0

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've never asked someone to "pray for me". Not that I don't need them in a sinful sense. Just I feel selfish asking for them. And I see other peoples' problems are much more serious than mine.
There are people who lose jobs, are suffering abuse at home, have serious debilitating mental health issues, lose a loved one, are physically sick or are just recovering from past trauma.
So no, I'm not asking for prayers now. I just want to admit this to you and wonder if anyone else feels the same.
I do pray for others now, which is progress to say 12 months ago. And I do believe in the power of prayer.

Peace be with you.

Do you know about this?

Confraternity of the Rosary - Wikipedia

Rosary Confraternity Enrollment Form

It's Good Stuff.

God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums