Mar 26, 2017
Earth
✟16,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello.

What is the purpose of prayer? Does prayer accomplish anything? Does God answer prayers? If something you pray for seems to have been answered, how do you know it was God intervening and not coincidence? Furthermore, is it selfish to pray about problems in your own life when there are worse problems being experienced by other people? For example, is it okay to pray about your job situation, or for your family, when there are children dying of starvation and disease in other lands?

I haven't prayed in a few days. These questions are weighing heavily on my mind. I'm outright scared to pray to God at this point.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hello.

What is the purpose of prayer? Does prayer accomplish anything? Does God answer prayers? If something you pray for seems to have been answered, how do you know it was God intervening and not coincidence? Furthermore, is it selfish to pray about problems in your own life when there are worse problems being experienced by other people? For example, is it okay to pray about your job situation, or for your family, when there are children dying of starvation and disease in other lands?

I haven't prayed in a few days. These questions are weighing heavily on my mind. I'm outright scared to pray to God at this point.
To not only stay in touch with God but to draw closer to Him more and more.
Good prayer accomplishes good things. That is why I try to improve the quality of mine. Respect and reverence help.
Good conversations with people require not only speaking skill but listening skill. I think the same applies with talking to God. We need to listen as well.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I think you should pray about just that. To me, prayer is a dialogue with God. It's building up your trust in Him. I believe God does answer prayers, although not always quickly and not in the way we expect. I also think He loves and cares about us all, and there is no problem too minor to bring to Him.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

Oh, just relax. Praying to God isn't going to hurt you, ever. And its perfectly OK to pray about your job, when there are children dying of starvation and disease in other lands. There are others who are directly acquainted with those children, it is there part to pray for them. God is infinitely wise, knows all things, and just because you pray for one thing does not mean you are going to, somehow, make Him neglect another.

What temptor is succeeding in making you afraid to pray to God? Are you going to let that temptor win out? Reject that fear. Trust God's love.

God arranges for some blessings to be released through prayer so that we can participate in His great love for us all. So don't let those blessings go unclaimed!

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Newbienow

Dec 19, 2016
Ireland
✟9,542.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Eathlyhope. Sometimes i have gotten those thoughts also. But what i usually do is ask those questions during prayer. I know you are saying you are afraid to pray right now but thats what you need to do. As a child we ask our earthly father questions & for help. Even if at times we were selfish, then our earthly father would teach us to think of others, so God tells us to turn to him, that he will provide for us. He loves us even more, he wants us to turn to him. So even if our prayers get a bit selfish, God knows what we need before we ask. If we need to be less selfish, then ive no doubt God will provide opportunities to be more humble. If you are upset because you know others suffer more then offer a prayer for those who need it, and when faced with opportunity to help others do so. And yes I believe from my heart our prayers are answered. Keep praying & be patient.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟326,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having an active prayer life is vital to the christian lifestyle. It's very easy to get sidetracked in life, but when you pray not only do you feel the comfort from God but also it helps you reset your mind and spirit to stay aligned with your creator.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello.

Well........... have no fear. He listens 24/7/365. His answers are Spiritual. They come to you through the Holy Spirit who beautifully and eternally occupies you. He/God can never be a coincidence. Peacefully pray for your problems and those of others, including your job, your family. Your prayers echo through the Halls of Heaven. Just say, "God, I include in my prayer those children dying of starvation and disease in other lands. Go there, Lord, embrace them, and speak to the hearts of those responsible. Speak, Lord, to those who know about their situation but are not doing anything to correct it. Raise up Christian Warriors who will electrify the hearts of all concerned. I love you, Lord. Amen."

• Agree
Reactions: Newbienow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums