• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

I finally got it!

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by AureateDawn, Aug 6, 2013.

1. AureateDawn

AureateDawn Love & Peace

+129
    Other Religion
    Single
    So I posted on Facebook how I loathe being gay. I had a couple of friends on there say that I need to love myself and get counseling. I said that I love myself and my life, and that I am relatively happy - I just hate being a homo (not due to church or society or anything. Just my own preference). One friend persisted: "That's like saying I love being black, I just hate black culture and black people and being a ***. Darling, let's call a spade a spade shall we ... you just stated self hate."

I then responded with this: "I still disagree about self hate. I'm gay, sure, but I don't think that means that a core part of who I am as a person is gay. I don't think that any part of who I am is defined by my sexuality. My sexuality and my "me-ness" are two separate things."

And after I typed that out, it hit me. I finally got it! What all of you here have said for so long, I've heard, but never really truly understood. And just now, it finally hit me! Now I understand. Guess I just had to get there on my own. :)

Just thought I'd share my little "Aha!" moment.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. truthseeker32

truthseeker32 Lost in the Cosmos

+47
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Congratulations on the realization. Funny enough I had a similar realization when I was your age as I began considering conversion to Catholicism.

3. Antony in Tx

Antony in Tx a sinner

+218
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    That's wonderful that you can see this. I know that when I've had moments like this, it feels like a great weight is lifted and I start seeing so many new possibilities in life. May God continue to bless you and keep you in His grace!

4. 27B6

27B6 Veteran

+93
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,185
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    Great expression of what so many others may be feeling - and I agree 100% with the sentiments on the OP poster's thoughts.

Praying..

6. isshinwhat

isshinwhat Pro Deo et Patria

+605
    Eastern Orthodox
    :)

7. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+679
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    I may be picking up too much on your wording here, which may have been quite casual, but most people who have this problem I have spoken to would not, I think, quite say that it should be ignored. More that it should be used or perceived in a different kind of way.

I think most of the particular temptations we face are one side of something that is more whole and positive. If we ignore the capacities altogether, then we can also lose the strengths they can give us.

8. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,580
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    yep Justin, you nailed it!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  9. 27B6

27B6 Veteran

+93
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  10. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,926
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    :)

11. choirfiend

choirfiend Senior Veteran Supporter

+498
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    We are all very much more than the sum of our parts. Most of which are dysfunctional anyway.

12. Orthohawk

Orthohawk Newbie

+1
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    One way to keep the "gay=self" crowd at bay is to stop referring to your self as "gay" at all. Say you are "same-sex attracted". The term "gay" is nowadays too wrapped up in the social milieu of the "gay community" to the extent that to be "gay" is more than just your attractions.

13. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+8,231
    Christian

What I remember of the Gay 'lifestyle" is that it centered around Sex. Sex was the core of everyone's existence. what was once the club social scene is now replaced by hooking up online. sex is anonymous and frequent.

Even married or "committed" gay men often 'play on the side. it is often a negotiated part of the gay relationship. Even when it is not negotiated, they often "play' on the side.

I know gay men who would cry and tell me that they were so sick of hooking up, but then they would go right back at it.

We are all trying to anesthetize our loneliness . No one seems to connect on a human level anymore. Some use booze, drugs and sex.

The reason people continually have sex, is that their needs are never met. it becomes a cycle that leads to even further alienation which compounds itself.

what are your thoughts? what have been your experiences in the 'gay"world?

14. HalupkiMonster

HalupkiMonster Guest

+0
    I'm so happy to see this, Justin!

Our Lord has revealed an amazing truth to you. It takes a long journey for Orthodox like you and I to realize this. In our society, which is ever more telling us who we are, it takes a lot of courage to step away from that and realize who we truly are.

If you ever want to talk about this or anything, feel free to message me.

I know more gay/same sex-attracted/etc. Orthodox Christians than I care to admit, and it's always amazing when this happens. You've just set off on an amazing journey with Christ. (Now get your butt back to Church, m'kay?)

15. HalupkiMonster

HalupkiMonster Guest

+0
    ^THIS