✟15,356.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
(I'm new to this forum, so hi)
I've been raised a Christian, but I don't think any of my family's connection is very strong. Lately I have been trying to strengthen my relationship with God, and in doing so I've been praying a lot more, and trying to learn to trust God more. It feels weird to say it, but I don't know if I'm praying right.
For example, this year I have university exams at the same time as I was going to go on a ski trip with family. The ski trip is from the 17th to the 20th, and my exam is on the 18th. I really want to go on the trip, so I prayed about it, something along the lines of "if You want me to go on this trip, have someone change my exam time, etc."
Is it wrong to ask something like that, like make someone do something? It feels like I'm being greedy or something, but I'm not sure how else I should word my prayers.

Reactions: Hazelelponi

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been raised a Christian, but I don't think any of my family's connection is very strong. Lately I have been trying to strengthen my relationship with God, and in doing so I've been praying a lot more, and trying to learn to trust God more. It feels weird to say it, but I don't know if I'm praying right.
For example, this year I have university exams at the same time as I was going to go on a ski trip with family. The ski trip is from the 17th to the 20th, and my exam is on the 18th. I really want to go on the trip, so I prayed about it, something along the lines of "if You want me to go on this trip, have someone change my exam time, etc."
Is it wrong to ask something like that, like make someone do something? It feels like I'm being greedy or something, but I'm not sure how else I should word my prayers.

I think it's not the appropriate way to pray. You should ask God to advice you in the heart.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thats good you are getting closer to God . What I do is ask for greater awareness on things not for things .So I can go out and make it happen. Like your ski trip and exam and something might pop up like ask parents change date ? What I also do is describe out loud ( gives it authority ) all my activities during day : when say Christ Victory x3 works .

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟685,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Prayer is about bringing our will into lockstep with God's will, not the other way around.

When we pray for God's name to be hallowed, (hallowed be thy name) we are asking God to help us hallow it, in us as it is in heaven. When we hallow God's Name, we trust Him, obey Him and glorify Him etc.

We learn in prayer and through study of the Word, the kinds of things God wants so that we, in turn, can pray for it.

We pray (ask) for His Will to be done, so that our will becomes the same to His own. The more we ask God for those things He wants, the more they become the things we also desire.

Upvote 0

AutumnRose

Oct 17, 2018
Vancouver
✟15,356.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thats good you are getting closer to God . What I do is ask for greater awareness on things not for things .So I can go out and make it happen. Like your ski trip and exam and something might pop up like ask parents change date ? What I also do is describe out loud ( gives it authority ) all my activities during day : when say Christ Victory x3 works .
That is helpful, thank you. The problem is both the dates for the exam and the trip are fixed (though it is possible the exam date could change). That's why I prayed that someone change the exam date, because that's the only variable that could make it work, as far as I can see.

• Prayers
Reactions: John Bowen
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Well today be the 17th, so your family already gone skiing?
Or are you talking about them going in a different month?

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi! Welcome!

Your understanding of prayer is very common. Somehow the idea that God is a kind of drive-through-window for our own desires has more or less become the secular view of prayer. It's wrong.

Start your prayer with praise for who God is - worship Him.

Thank God for all He has given you.

Ask God to forgive you for your misdeeds.

Tell God your only desire is to do His will.

If God's will is to go skiing - so be it. If not, that's fantastic also. He has provided you with time to be alone with Him.

Prayer is a time to sit and talk with God. He knows precisely what you need. There's no need to bring Him a list because your list is likely not what you need. Spend your prayer time trying to get to know God better. He will provide all your needs.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are God's little children. It's perfectly fine to ask Him for things, especially since we are commanded to ask Him for things! :)

There's lots of books on prayer; I recommend looking at one of the classics (e.g., by E.M. Bounds).

He could very well answer your prayer just as you asked, but there's alternatives for you, too. Come before Him with reverence, humility, and a willingness to accept whatever He causes or allows in your life—but ask Him for help with everything you want help with.

There's something called "putting out a fleece" (read the story of Gideon), but your situation isn't quite that. Gideon believed He knew what God wanted him to do, but it was difficult, so He wanted more assurance that he was hearing God correctly. Asking for signs from God is best left for super important things that you have struggled with for a while trying to understand what God wants you to do through much prayer. Only ask for a sign when you will accept His decision whatever it is.

In your case, the best thing going for you is that you really want to go on the trip. God knows that as well as the importance of family (which your professor may or may not know). He also knows all the consequences to you of going as well as not going. Trust Him with whatever happens.

IMO, a great prayer would be to ask God to make it possible for the professor to give it to you on another day and that God would also give you favor with the professor. Pray that for a while, then ask the professor if you could take the exam a couple days earlier, because your family is traveling and you'd like to go with them. Btw, this is not a strange request; professors sometimes have to make accommodations such as when you have two final exams at the same time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums