Aug 23, 2007
✟782,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have a question. It involves a hypothetical, but I'm still concerned for certain reasons.

Let's just say you are self-employed but want to hire a couple people to help you out (as I said, I'm not in this situation, but let me just ask). If your little business starts succeeding, do you have to provide health insurance to them? Doesn't all health insurance cover birth control? Does this mean Catholics should not own their own business? I'm sorry if this looks stupid or anything.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, they are trying but keep getting attacked for their position.
I think the Little Sisters of the Poor cover their employees with-out offering birth control coverage.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have a question. It involves a hypothetical, but I'm still concerned for certain reasons.

Let's just say you are self-employed but want to hire a couple people to help you out (as I said, I'm not in this situation, but let me just ask). If your little business starts succeeding, do you have to provide health insurance to them? Doesn't all health insurance cover birth control? Does this mean Catholics should not own their own business? I'm sorry if this looks stupid or anything.
I think very small businesses can get by without covering health care for their employees. But check your state's laws on that.

You can probably get a better employee, or keep a good employee longer by offering health care.

New Trump regulations mean that you as an employer may claim a religious or moral exemption from covering contraception. I don't know the mechanics of that.

So how do you find an insurance plan for one or two employees that doesn't already have contraception baked in?

I think the health care sharing organizations like CMF CURO or Solidarity Healthshare also will not be involved in contraception. I did not do an exhaustive search, but it seemed every individual plan from the other big insurance companies I looked at to cover myself did cover contraception. Since I was not going to use it anyway I just got one of the common individual plans. That's a moral but low pass solution for me.

If you can find a plan without contraception, great. If not then your option would be to instruct your employee to buy the individual coverage they want and you can reimburse them for the coverage. You aren't directly buying a plan that covers contraception that way. It's kind of a low pass way of avoiding complicity. We should have better options, but that might be as good as you can practically do.

Do look at the health share groups which were formed specifically to be moral options concerning abortion and contraception.

Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Basically, it becomes mandatory when you have 50 employees. There are tax credits available if you offer it with less than 50 employees.

What are my 2019 small business employer health insurance requirements?

Does My Employer Have to Provide Health Insurance?

Upvote 0