Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I feel closer to God in my sins because I acknowledge that is a sin, and it makes me acutely aware of my weakness and imperfection before him and makes me magnify and glorify him more and more, realizing how small I am and how big he is.

I also know since I am sinning because I think it is going to put a band aid on my troubles, but I am wrong, and I sin when I broken down, and I feel God draw closer to me when I sin, because I think he knows I am trying to use it as a band-aid to cover my pain, and I just feel him draw closer to me when I'm down...

My sin also keeps me more humble before God...

Is this wrong?

Last edited:
G

gideons300

I feel closer to God in my sins because I acknowledge that is a sin, and it makes me acutely aware of my weakness and imperfection before him and makes me magnify and glorify him more and more, realizing how small I am and how big he is.

I also know since I am sinning because I think it is going to put a band aid on my troubles, but I am wrong, and I sin when I broken down, and I feel God draw closer to me when I sin, because I think he knows I am trying to use it as a band-aid to cover my pain, and I just feel him draw closer to me when I'm down...

Is this wrong?

I pray this does not offend you, dear brother, but sadly, yes. In essence, it is a repeat of what Paul said some would say about grace.

"Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God, forbid, how can we, who are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

Think for a minute. Suppose a man had an Achilles Heel sin.... the one satan really attacked him with.... and it was drugs. If you were a non-believer and heard this man say that continuing there made him feel close to God and kept him humble, what would you say? Would you want to serve a God that smiles on sin?

How about if a man who had been addicted to drugs came to you in excitement and said "I was an addict, and drugs my God, but praise God, He has delivered me and set me free indeed just as He promised!"
It is our unbelief that is causing us to faith, rooted in the truth that up ill now, we do not hate that old man who loves sin. But when we finally "get it", that God sent His Son to not only forgive us, but to cleanse us of all unrighteousness as well, to set us FREE INDEED, all will change in our walks.
Humility will not need sin to be effective. Being given brand new natures that hate sin and can say no to it, no matter how strong the temptation, that is what will make humility real and lasting.

Do we believe God can deliver us from evil, as Hos son taught us to pray?

Do we believe that our God will NOT allow us to be tempted above our ability to resist it?

Do we trust that our shields of faith WILL quench every fiery arrow thrown at us by the enemy?

Did God actually promise us that He would CAUSE us to walk in obedience to Him?

Dear brother, He did! Our problem is not weakness, but unbelief. May we decide, no matter what it does to our theology, to take God at His word. He will not fail us, for we serve a God who CANNOT lie. Praise God.

Blessings,

Gids

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I pray this does not offend you, dear brother, but sadly, yes. In essence, it is a repeat of what Paul said some would say about grace.

"Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God, forbid, how can we, who are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"

Think for a minute. Suppose a man had an Achilles Heel sin.... the one satan really attacked him with.... and it was drugs. If you were a non-believer and heard this man say that continuing there made him feel close to God and kept him humble, what would you say? Would you want to serve a God that smiles on sin?

How about if a man who had been addicted to drugs came to you in excitement and said "I was an addict, and drugs my God, but praise God, He has delivered me and set me free indeed just as He promised!"
It is our unbelief that is causing us to faith, rooted in the truth that up ill now, we do not hate that old man who loves sin. But when we finally "get it", that God sent His Son to not only forgive us, but to cleanse us of all unrighteousness as well, to set us FREE INDEED, all will change in our walks.
Humility will not need sin to be effective. Being given brand new natures that hate sin and can say no to it, no matter how strong the temptation, that is what will make humility real and lasting.

Do we believe God can deliver us from evil, as Hos son taught us to pray?

Do we believe that our God will NOT allow us to be tempted above our ability to resist it?

Do we trust that our shields of faith WILL quench every fiery arrow thrown at us by the enemy?

Did God actually promise us that He would CAUSE us to walk in obedience to Him?

Dear brother, He did! Our problem is not weakness, but unbelief. May we decide, no matter what it does to our theology, to take God at His word. He will not fail us, for we serve a God who CANNOT lie. Praise God.

Blessings,

Gids

I'm not condoning sin, I don't want to draw close to God when I am sinning, because I don't feel worthy, but all I'm saying is is that those times is when I feel God call me to draw closer to him, but I don't want to sometimes, cause I'm afraid and I feel unworthy.

Upvote 0
F

fozzy

Is this wrong?

Yes, it's wrong - very wrong.

Sin is not an action or word or deed, sin is a state of mind or condition and Jesus is the cure.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, it's wrong - very wrong.

Sin is not an action or word or deed, sin is a state of mind or condition and Jesus is the cure.

I think God knows my struggle with sin, and that I do not give up, but sometimes I stumble and fall, when I stumble or fall, and I commit a sin, Afterward, I immediately begin asking for forgiveness and acknowledging God's greatness, and my weakness. Now, I do not give up on not sinning, I try to moderate my habits (which takes some small measure of self control) Anyways, I moderate my habits if I don't feel strong enough to do away with them completely

I have had some success in what I'd call behavioral or charachter flaws, sins that can hurt other people, but I am having difficulty with the sins that I feel like I'm only affecting myself, sins like smoking and masturbating and looking at inappropriate content.

Anyways, when God draws close to me, I feel like he's saying to me "Don't give up, remember all sin makes a person miserable, but I am her to comfort you and help you and lift you up, just don't give up in your struggles against sin, I'll meet you there...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
F

fozzy

I think God knows my struggle with sin, and that I do not give up, but sometimes I stumble and fall, when I stumble or fall, and I commit a sin, Afterward, I immediately begin asking for forgiveness and acknowledging God's greatness, and my weakness. Now, I do not give up on not sinning, I try to moderate my habits (which takes some small measure of self control) Anyways, I moderate my habits if I don't feel strong enough to do away with them completely

I have had some success in what I'd call behavioral or charachter flaws, sins that can hurt other people, but I am having difficulty with the sins that I feel like I'm only affecting myself, sins like smoking and masturbating and looking at inappropriate content.

Anyways, when God draws close to me, I feel like he's saying to me "Don't give up, remember all sin makes a person miserable, but I am her to comfort you and help you and lift you up, just don't give up in your struggles against sin, I'll meet you there...

God Bless!

This is the problem. You need to give up! You need to surrender everything to Jesus. Unconditional surrender is what God requires. He wants your mind, body and soul and he will not accept anything less.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I agree with you. I take comfort in my nothingness beside God's infinite love and power. Funny thing is, He wants to adopt us all as his brothers and sisters, so we actually share in his divine life in the Mystical Body of Christ, in the very Trinity, itself; which sounds even better.

More dignified and blissful - but in the right place at the right time, thanks to having been given his grace to play our role in his redemptive work, during our life here in this vale of tears - albeit as his 'unprofitable servants'. Also curiously reassuring!

I knew a man who tried to be perfect by his own efforts. A nice bloke, but confused: he couldn't stop shoplifting even from a Catholic bookshop.

I think he's doing fine, nooby. Everything takes time. Are you saying he must be without sin. St John had harsh words for those who believe they are sinless.

Upvote 0
F

fozzy

Are you saying he must be without sin. St John had harsh words for those who believe they are sinless.

No, I am not. We are all sinners who are like helpless minnows in a pool of sharks. We are in constant need of God's mercy, love and grace.

But (isn't there always a but) the sin, repent; sin, repent; sin, repent cycle that many Christians find themselves in is not a good place to be. Reminds of the man in Romans 7 who can do nothing right until he transitions to Romans 8 and all his condemnation is taken away.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This is the problem. You need to give up! You need to surrender everything to Jesus. Unconditional surrender is what God requires. He wants your mind, body and soul and he will not accept anything less.

I'm going through this problem right now, I'm learning that struggling isn't the answer, I' learning to "Let go, and let God" but it's easier said then done.

I'm practicing something in my spirit, that is like passive resistance when it comes to sin...

I've had days recently where I "let go (and let God), and I felt very free, very light on my feet and I didn't have the desire to sin that (on those) days, it's like God's presence has the power to wash away the desire for sin, or at least, I hope so as I am in the process of drawing closer to him

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree with you. I take comfort in my nothingness beside God's infinite love and power.

We "need" this don't we? or how else do we acknowledge this (taking comfort in acknowleging our nothingness beside God's infinite love and power) if not through our sins. How (it (our sins) can, in some cases) make us acutely more aware of him (God) the perfect, sinless one.

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've found its best to come to see our sinful condition as a sickness, with the grace of God being our treatment and cure. Don't think of it as breaking laws and getting acquitted. Spiritual life is and growth is fundamentally therapeutic, not legalistic.

Salvation is a life-long spiritual pilgrimage in which, by the grace of God, we are made more holy, loving, and Christ-like. We should aim for these three things to be more and more present within ourselves, and we achieve this by living humbly in the grace of God, renewing our minds with spiritual truth.

I also have besetting sins that I'm having a hard time letting go of. Nevertheless, I trust that God will lead me in holiness and, with time, love and devotion will remove more and more of my sinfulness. Relax, trust God, and strive to be like Jesus.

And always remember, God alone is the sovereign judge, and God alone determines one's eternal destiny. We are not to pronounce God's judgement, one way or the other, on anyone. That is his domain. We are to merely trust God and strive to be like Christ. Spiritual life in Christ is about bearing the image of God in the likeness of God. We all bear the image, we are called to grow in the likeness.

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

I'm not condoning sin, I don't want to draw close to God when I am sinning, because I don't feel worthy, but all I'm saying is is that those times is when I feel God call me to draw closer to him, but I don't want to sometimes, cause I'm afraid and I feel unworthy.

Brother, I understand and believe you when you are saying that you are not condoning sin. But if that is what it takes to feel close with God, and our obedience does not, something is wrong. Do you see that?

What if God devised a salvation so good, so foolproof, made just for the weak so that they.... we... can indeed "run and not be weary, and walk and not faint?" What if he really did make it so that sin will no longer have dominion over us? What if He really does make sure that when we are tempted to sin, not only will He make a way of escape, He will also see that we take that choice? Amazing God That is exactly what he has promised us. What does He ask of us? Simple. Faith that He has given us new natures, where sin loses its grip, where amazingly, we see fruits begin to develop that were noticeably missing previously. :)

He has done just that.. Yet the devil has succeeded for almost 1900 years to suppress that truth. We have been like Samson, have we not? Gifted from God, but a man who saw no danger in flirting with the darkness. He saw that sin to rob him of his strength, and instead of vanquishing the enemy, he went round and round, blind to all around him. In the same way, we too have accepted sin as necessary, and then excusing it with saying it keeps us humble. The result? We go round and round, always learning lessons, only to forget them the next time the devil comes tempting. Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof. Ouch.

But a change is in the air. Can you feel it? Sense that the beginning of the final drama is about to be played out before our very eyes? Yes, times are about to get hard. Yet in spite of that, the times of refreshing will soon be here as God begins to awaken His saints to the truth that they ARE light, not trying and failing to act like it. This is what Paul taught:

"...but now are you light in the Lord. Walk as children of light."

Note the order here. We are not told to "do light-type" things and that if we do enough of them, we will grow into being children of light. No, far from it. We are told a fact first. We ARE light. Not "going to be light". Then, as we believe it, grab hold of it and know that our old man is not dying but DEAD, we find to our delighted amazement that we now shine with light. Obedience, once hard and pain filled, has now become simply doing what our natural self does. it shines. It obeys. Not by white knuckling it, but simply having our hearts captured by a larger love.

Sadly, I know that some in what we know as church will condemn this message. They like a grace that allows us to keep our pearls and still get the big one, and we promise to give up all our pearls....eventually. Right?

For some reason, this message will irritate them beyond reason. They iike it with them in control, satisfied that even if we see all our works burned up and get less rewards, we STILL get eternal life. Can we not see the sickness, the evil in such a mindset?

But God has promised. Some will awake, willingly lose their old self's right to exist, and put on their new natures in the same way we would let a luxurious robe settle in over us. They will have parted ways willingly with their collection of pearls, and made Jesus their sole treasure instead.

Guys, I cannot stress this enough. Salvation is free, but it is an exchange. We surrender our lives to get His inside us. I pray we see, that our hands must be empty to receive the gift He offers. And brothers and sister in the Lord, once the surrender of self to death occurs by our leap of faith, our "reckoning it so", and the shield of faith in who we are is hoisted, the hard part is past. It really does now become "joy unspeakable and full of glory". Not 'positional' freedom. Real freedom. Free indeed.

Blessings,

Gids

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
We "need" this don't we? or how else do we acknowledge this (taking comfort in acknowleging our nothingness beside God's infinite love and power) if not through our sins. How (it (our sins) can, in some cases) make us acutely more aware of him (God) the perfect, sinless one.

God Bless!

Thank you Neogaia. It's good to find someone else who understands what I mean. It does sound odd on the face of it.

To put it another way, I suppose we could say, while I like to insist that there can be no faith without works, since faith in a person cannot but move him to help to alleviate the suffering of the afflicted, nevertheless, it comforts me that I must rely on the prior inspiration of God, through my faith in Him, in order to perform good works, and not be able to take credit for them for myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigo1984

Nov 2, 2014
✟9,268.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God wants to deliver you from those sins. You will not quit them using self control. only the holy spirit can change you. I have overcome some sins and it was the holy spirit that made it possible. I still struggle with others though, but I know he who started a good work in me will perfect it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I am not. We are all sinners who are like helpless minnows in a pool of sharks. We are in constant need of God's mercy, love and grace.

But (isn't there always a but) the sin, repent; sin, repent; sin, repent cycle that many Christians find themselves in is not a good place to be. Reminds of the man in Romans 7 who can do nothing right until he transitions to Romans 8 and all his condemnation is taken away.

That's just it though, that is where we always will be. We are imperfect, always sinning, therefore it will always be sin, repent, repeat as needed.

In regards to the op, in my opinion, the only way it could be wrong is if you are sinning BECAUSE of the fact that you feel closer to God. You should always be repenting and trying to stop the sin, making an active effort to avoid it. You will undoubtedly fail and that's where His grace comes in and we repent, we try our hardest it happens again, we repent, God forgives, and again, repeat as needed.

Upvote 0