New Zealand
✟8,610.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've had it with people, I've had with fighting with them over my faith, I've had it with the contradictions of the bible, I've had it with not being able to understand the word, I've had it with not being able to speak to God. I've had enough. No more. I can't do it anymore. What is there in the bible worth fighting for? God has not blessed me with the intelligence I need to explain scripture, I always lose, I always look like the fool. I'm beaten and I don't want to turn to God for an explanation, he hasn't given me any answers or tools or anything to fight with. He expects me to fight against an army of views and opinions that will only rip me apart? Why? How much does he want me broken? I've decided that I'm not going to speak anymore of my faith, there's no point. Its become an embarrassment, or maybe I've become the embarrassment to it? I'm not sure. I want to stay in my room and not leave the house, well I've done it for weeks so far. Why won't God tell me when I'm not ready to speak? Why does he let me do this? Why do Christians suffer, at what price? What is there to gain? What glory does God get from this?

I am hurt. I lack so much, the issues are so big. I wish God could just end me so I won't make him, everyone else and myself look like a fool. Wouldn't that be the nicest thing he could do? :sigh:

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If I can make a suggestion, why not take a break from trying to defend God and the Bible. Most people are better off just living the way Christ told us to: loving other people and being useful servants. Paul tells us that different people have different gifts. You may not be intended to be an apologist. Or you may not be ready yet. But everybody can love God and their neighbor, and in most cases that's a better approach anyway.

Upvote 0

billypayton

† Brother of Jesus
Supporter
May 15, 2010
NC
✟28,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
If I can make a suggestion, why not take a break from trying to defend God and the Bible. Most people are better off just living the way Christ told us to: loving other people and being useful servants. Paul tells us that different people have different gifts. You may not be intended to be an apologist. Or you may not be ready yet. But everybody can love God and their neighbor, and in most cases that's a better approach anyway.
I agree with hedrick, just try to love God with your heart, and Jesus will
take over. People can be scary sometimes, but there is love in some of us.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God has not blessed me with the intelligence I need to explain scripture, I always lose, I always look like the fool.

1 Corinthians 1:18-25 For, take a good look at your divine summons , brethren, that not many wise men according to human standards, not many men of dignity and power, not many who are of royal or aristocratic lineage are given that divine summons , but God selected out for himself those individuals among the world of sinners characterized by the aforementioned foolishness, in order that He might put to confusion those who are wise. And those individuals among the world of sinners, characterized by weakness, God selected out for himself, in order that He might put to confusion those who are characterized by strength. And those individuals among the world of sinners, who are not of royal or noble ancestry but belong to the common people and those who are utterly despised, God selected out for himself, the aforementioned classes of individuals looked upon as nonentities, in order that He might deprive of force, influence, and power those who think themselves to be somewhat, to the end that humanity may not in a single instance boast in His presence. (Wuest translation)

We are "fools" by the worlds measure.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

I was flipping through the TV channels one night and stumbled across some show like the bachelor. There were a group of men and one was saying that he had chosen to remain a virgin until marriage. The others were not able to contain their amusement. One man said, "I respect your choice..." and even while he was saying it he couldn't contain his laughter.

Why won't God tell me when I'm not ready to speak? Why does he let me do this? Why do Christians suffer, at what price? What is there to gain? What glory does God get from this?

You are discovering the difference between walking in the Spirit and the flesh. An example of walking in the flesh is Peter saying, "let's build a tabernacle" at the Mount of Transfiguration or Paul "kicking against the goads".

It is an interesting study to examine at the time of Jesus trials when He spoke and when He remained silent. Pilate was the secular authority. The Sanhedrin was the religious authority. Herod was a political buffoon looking for someone to amuse him.

No one was ever won to Christ with an erudite and compelling argument.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

God gets glory from truth. When we walk in truth, we are able to draw nearer to Him. When we walk in truth, we are brought to real humility. The truth is we are not smart enough, cleaver, enough, or articulate enough to accomplish anything on our own. If we "accomplish" anything good, it is only God working through us.

I have experience walking in the flesh and can testify to the overwhelming frustration it usually produces. The alternative to the frustration of the flesh is the surrender to the Spirit and walking in truth and humility. It is a common tactic for Satan to get people to think they need to take control and make things happen. I reality, there is already someone running the universe and while He can make anything happen He wants;

Luke 19:39-40 And some of the Pharisees from the throng said to Jesus, Teacher, reprove Your disciples! He replied, I tell you that if these keep silent, the very stones will cry out.

God provides us an opportunity to be used by Him. Our usefulness is not determined by what we have learned, how smart we are, or how motivated. Our usefulness is determined by the degree to which we have surrendered ourselves and our faithfulness.

2 Corinthians 5:15 And He died for all, so that all those who live might live no longer to and for themselves, but to and for Him Who died and was raised again for their sake.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes actions speak louder than words.Show your love of God through how people see how you live your life...For me, that is the greatest witnessing tool we have.
Sometimes our words can bog us down..our Christian conduct should not.

Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Leave the bible be for now. Write poetry. Read poetry. Try Goethe. But while you dont have to think of God, pray each evening for God to make you happy. Sometimes our mind must be liberated from the past. Be happy stubbornly. Eventually God will make you use that stubbornity in believing in Him. You are valuable, immensely valuable. Christians can be an annoying, wicked bunch of people, even when we run around clothed in Christ. Blessings!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Matariki. You had some good and loving advice. Jesus told a Lawyer, in Matthew: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Straightforward and easy to remember. Then Jesus states a very important truth: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Let us just remember where we came from, and who made us in His image, and what God wants from us: or can you think of better News and advice?? Let Love rule us, treat all we know and all we meet as we would love to be treated: with kindness and consideration, smile friendly rather than ignore, or look the other way. Show to all what God wants from us, our love and care, forgiveness rather than angry words or scowls. God will see our sincere efforts to be as He wants us to be, to follow His Commandments to love selflessly, and no conditions tagged on. God can see that we love Him, because we follow His Commandments to love and care, and God will bless us. Jesus will give us His Love and Joy, and the Holy Spirit will give us His Love, too.
Jesus told us to " ask and ye will receive," then we thank God and share all with all around us. People will notice and do the same, Love will grow and grow, Love is very catching and has great power. Love is a Christian`s strong weapon, Love will protect us and lead us on and on. We might stumble and fail at times, but we get up again and ask God to forgive us, and God will forgive us as we will forgive others. God is Love, and His Love will always protect us and lead us on and on, Love is the Greatest: as Paul reminds us in 1) Corinthians, chapter 13, vers 13. I say this with love, Matariki. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Ecclesiastes 1
2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."
What does man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun?

8 All things are wearisome, more than one can say. The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing.

2:15 Then I thought in my heart,
"The fate of the fool will overtake me also. What then do I gain by being wise?" I said in my heart, "This too is meaningless."

So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me.

And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless.

So my heart began to despair over all my toilsome labor under the sun.

For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it. This too is meaningless and a great misfortune.

What does a man get for all the toil and anxious striving with which he labors under the sun?

All his days his work is pain and grief; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is meaningless.

A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?

4:1 Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun: I saw the tears of the oppressed-- and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors-- and they have no comforter.

And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive.

But better than both is he who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun.

And I saw that all labor and all achievement spring from man's envy of his neighbor. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

The fool folds his hands and ruins himself.

Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind.

Again I saw something meaningless under the sun: There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. "For whom am I toiling," he asked, "and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?" This too is meaningless-- a miserable business!

-Solomon

You are not alone.

Upvote 0

Hog Red

Narrow Minded
Jul 29, 2008
Arkansas
✟8,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
praise God you are being persecuted. it means you are actually doing something. dont be too hard on yourself, Jesus and his disciples were scoffed at, laughed at, so you are in good company. dont worry about trying to convince others, it isn't your job, your called to be a Witness to the saving grace of the Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit does the rest. Many well meaning Christians and false Christians try to be the Judge, Jury, Prosecutor when all we are tasked with is being a Witness.

Upvote 0

NoelAsa

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
At Computer
✟23,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Sometimes actions speak louder than words.Show your love of God through how people see how you live your life...For me, that is the greatest witnessing tool we have.
Sometimes our words can bog us down..our Christian conduct should not.

Teaching by the example of your life can be a better tool than words. Sometimes testifying to non Christians can come off as nagging, which can be a deterrent. Study the bible and pray to God. He will let you know when you are ready to approach people about your faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnny Todd

Sep 19, 2011
✟673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had it with people, I've had with fighting with them over my faith, I've had it with the contradictions of the bible, I've had it with not being able to understand the word, I've had it with not being able to speak to God. I've had enough. No more. I can't do it anymore. What is there in the bible worth fighting for? God has not blessed me with the intelligence I need to explain scripture, I always lose, I always look like the fool. I'm beaten and I don't want to turn to God for an explanation, he hasn't given me any answers or tools or anything to fight with. He expects me to fight against an army of views and opinions that will only rip me apart? Why? How much does he want me broken? I've decided that I'm not going to speak anymore of my faith, there's no point. Its become an embarrassment, or maybe I've become the embarrassment to it? I'm not sure. I want to stay in my room and not leave the house, well I've done it for weeks so far. Why won't God tell me when I'm not ready to speak? Why does he let me do this? Why do Christians suffer, at what price? What is there to gain? What glory does God get from this?

I am hurt. I lack so much, the issues are so big. I wish God could just end me so I won't make him, everyone else and myself look like a fool. Wouldn't that be the nicest thing he could do? :sigh:
Maybe your frustration is trying to defend a eroneous doctrine, free will and election and predestination are all correct, its when you stand for one only and do not acknowledge the others as also being true, do you fall into an unbalanced view of what we plainly see being taught by Jesus and His disciples.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I always lose, I always look like the fool.
Take a look at this phrase. I think everyone feels that.

I believe that is the key to why people destroy each other, compete for spiritual attention and prowess in the church, try to sound like they know all truths, and pray to sound like they are closer to God and more devoted to prayer. Humans focus on each other instead of on God.

Think about the star-bellied sneetch story, where sneetches are continually going through the machine to add or remove a star, racing to be ahead of the others in stature.

God asks us pray in secret. Lay down our lives for each other. Meditate on His word day and night. Pray without ceasing. I wonder how much of that is being done, between all the efforts to show each other who is better at being a Christian. Does God get squeezed out? Is He missing in the picture?

I have to be honest with myself periodically, and face how much I'm doing that to other people. It gets worse when people challenge me, demean or talk down to me. Sometimes I love a spiritual challenge because I subconsciously see "I can do that" -- fasting, singing, teaching, whatever... imagining at the end of the challenge, people will see that I am good at it. That's not God's plan for our ministry at all!

It's supposed to be Him working through us: more of Him, less of me.

Upvote 0

Pal Handy

Irregular Member
Jun 15, 2011
Southeast Michigan
✟20,508.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are not the first to become fustrated and turn away from Christ simply because you
could not understand what He is saying to you.

Peter proclaimed his love and willingness to follow Christ even to death and
then he ran away because he failed to understand that Christ must suffer
and die for the sins of all men.

Below many of those who followed Christ decided they could no longer
follow Christ because His words became too hard and so they left Him

But I love what Peter said to the Lord.....

John 6
66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.
67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”
68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life.
69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ,
the Son of the living God.”

Where are you going to go?
Who can you turn to?

Only Christ has the words of eternal life.
Only Christ can save you and give you wisdom.

Many have said that you need to strengthen your walk with Christ and
I agree because if your relationship was strong with Him you
would never even think of leaving Him simply because you don't understand
His words or know how to defend your reasons for believing in Him.

Go to God in prayer and appologize and ask Him for His help and then
get with other Christians that love Him and learn to be loved and to love others as Christ loves you.

Don't do to be....but instead enter into a relationship with God that starts
with Him loving you before you ever did anything for Him.

Let God love you and don't worry about defending your relationship
with Him at this time and just allow the love to grow between youself and Christ and
let God use you the way He wants instead of the way you think He should.

You are young and have alot to learn.

Remember, we have to endure to the end to be saved.

We have to keep our faith to the end so you better settle
in and deepen your relationship with God and put down deep
roots in Him or else you may try to save the world and lose your
own soul in your misplaced efforts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Matariki, Hedrick is correct. Forget the arguments. 99% of the time, at minimum, they do nothing to advance the Kingdom.

We are called to abide in the Lord, in His rest. From there everything flows. Look at all the argumentation that goes on even in Christian forums. Isn't it not much more than scandalous division?

Look at 1Pe3, where wives are called to win their husbands without a word. There is a time to say something, and a time to just dwell in the healing, edifying comfort of the Lord. Return to the gentle ways of the "meek and lowly" one (Mt 11.22 ff), and let Him restore you. Then ask for wisdom to know how to give answer for the hope that lies within you (1Pe 3.15).

Upvote 0

NewUser777

Aug 31, 2011
✟9,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've had it with people, I've had with fighting with them over my faith, I've had it with the contradictions of the bible, I've had it with not being able to understand the word, I've had it with not being able to speak to God. I've had enough.

You need to calm down. I understand what you're saying, but you need to stop "fighting" with people. This is not what God wants you to do. Like someone else said, no one has ever come to Christ through losing an argument.

I agree, you need to withdraw from these people, or just not bring up God with them. You are not strong enough yet to do so. You clearly have the hunger, so seclude yourself with God whenever you can. Remember, God is the One who loves you, more than these people who are fighting with you.

Cut out the world, and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the Word to you. He will.

And yeah, we've all been there ... talked about the Lord with someone and said the wrong thing. Or afterward felt we didn't defend God properly. The most important thing when talking with people about God or the Bible is to do it with love. The Holy Spirit will do the rest.

And about contradictions of the Bible ... there are no contradictions of the Bible. God is right and everyone else is wrong. I've lived enough years on this earth to know that for a fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Ha ha ha! Thanks for the laugh. I remember when I was motivated to defend God's honor. God doesn't need you or I to stand up for him beyond us not denying him like Peter did. God will express himself to everyone in ways they will undeniably understand according to their nature, as he has done with us. Pray for the ignorant and bask in God's grace. Its all in his hands and according to his plans.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You aren't suppose to be fighting/arguing with people...this is the reason why I don't like so called debates-- nothing but arguing, fights, hurt feelings etc.
You live out your faith.
Love others like you love yourself.
If they don't want the gospel, shake the dust off your shoes and leave.

I can't name anyone whose won somebody to the Lord by arguing scripture with them.
I can name countless people who have been won over by the love of Christ and the word being given/ lived out before them in a consistent manner.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2011
✟8,355.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yeah buddy you need to hold off on the amount of arguments and debates you are getting into way too many.

The word is a precise tool and you just don't stab out there blindly any time anyone says something contradictory about the word. Recognize the enemy, that most of the time people are just getting stuff off their chest. Sometimes listening to these people brings you to a place where you can learn from their perspective.

I know whenever I open my mouth I can silence anyone, so I don't do it constantly, I just live with them and live life with them and make light of our circumstances. I joke around A LOT.

People say things incorrect about the word and truth, it doesn't mean they are scholars or expert debaters. It means they are confused and mad, and venting out. They already know, a lot of the time, what you're going to say.

There is a time for correction and debate, watch and listen and calculate your words for when the time is right. In the meantime live a life they will be forced to respect.

Upvote 0

lemon-aid stand

Sep 12, 2011
canada
✟422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

we are all commanded by Christ to go into the world and make disciples of all people.. that is a command.. the bible also says that salvation comes by hearing the word.. how else are we to hear the gospel.. if not by God's elect.. in Christ.. dale

Upvote 0

lemon-aid stand

Sep 12, 2011
canada
✟422.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

hey you.. lol..lol.. i am laughing because i can already see the works that our Father is doing in your life.. just so that you know.. He is preparing you for a life of servitude.. thats right.. servitude in Christ.. you see. first He has called you and set you aside from the rest[those people that you hang out with].. you are only now realizing just how different you really are.. you didn't really think that as a vital member of the Body of Christ, that you could just hang out with the same old crowd.. did you? nope. even Jesus said that a prophet is not recognised in his own town.. what He is saying is that, they remember who we used to be.. you are no longer that person that fit right in.. because you are no longer the same as them.. you see. you are now a new creation in Jesus.. they still live in darkness..they are dead in their transgressions[sin].. not you.. you are alive in Christ.. no longer can you walk in the same ways as they are.. the ways that you used to.. so this change in you is going to bring about resistance in itself.. i mean you did say that you lack so much.. you are right. you do.. we all do... this is nothing to do with how well you know scripture.. its that we are learning that we know nothing outside of Christ.. God is humbling you.. as He does to all His children..when you gave your life to Christ. you did give yourself completely, didn't you? of course you did.. well, God is taking the prideful you and humbling it.. and believe me. any christian will tell you that its not easy to part with the old us.. do you remember back when you were really young, and your mom said, "okay you, in the bath".. ya.. ouch is right... hahaha.. i still remember how i didn't think i needed that bath.. so i had a little mud on me.. big deal.. lol..lol.. well, God is in the progress of making you, Christ like.. thats right.. and it is completely natural to wanna rebel against these changes.. after all you are a sinner.. in fact as long as we are in the body we are always going to be sinners.. lets just say that we are under construction.. but we are covered in His righteousness. so, to God. we are righteous, because of Christs righteous blood covering us and we can now come before Him in prayer[worship]... you mentioned that God never gave you the tools.. what about the bible.. moreso. you are now equip with the Holy Spirit.. thats right... He is right there.. how else could any of us tell the message of the gospel.. It is the Spirit in us.. Gods Holy Spirit that tells the people about salvation.. it really isn't us telling them.. we are only being obedient and allowing the Spirit to use us as a vessel to deliver His message.. you see. we cannot save a soul.. not even ourselves.. so the same Spirit that revealed the news of salvation to you, is the same Spirit that works through you to reveal the message to others.. but, it is so much more than just uttering words.. its by a complete transformation of you.. when people see you living out your life in the Spirit.. they will ask.. it won't happen over night but, it will happen.. i can only thank God that after Jesus ascended to the Father that the apostles didn't say, 'wow. nobody is wanting to receive the message. lets give up".. none of us would have a hope at salvation.. but, it is with perseverance that they pressed on toward the goal.. and they finished the race.. you see. when you tell people the good news of the gospel. you are doing the very thing that was commanded you and all christians, by Christ himself.. He told the disciples to go out and make disciples of all people.. telling them that the kingdom has come.. so in doing this. through your obedience God is receiving His due Glory.. its not about how much we know.. its about what we are doing with what we already know.. whether you know the scriptures throughout. or never read the bible.. your testimony is what you tell people.. how you came to Christ.. what He is doing in you.. your christian walk and the words that you use in everyday speech.. these are the things that will convict the people around you.. keep walking in the light.. read the bible each day.. even if it is just a paragraph.. then mull it over throughout the day.. get around other like minded people.. true christians such as yourself.. they don't care how little you know.. they love you regardless.. remember you are in the world. so, live at peace with the people in the world.. be merciful to the unbeliever, because our Lord was merciful to you when you were lost.. love even your enemy.. with everything in you love everyone. just as our Christ loves even those that are dead in their transgressions[sin].. moreso, know that i love you and also all of the true body of Christ. and when one of mine own is suffering. i suffer also.. so, please don't lose heart.. Jesus loves you and He is finishing the work that He has started in you.. change is never easy.. but, it is necessary for the christian.. God hears your prayers.. it took gabriel 21 days to appear to daniel after he started praying.. it wasn't because God wasn't listening.. it was because there is a war going on in the spiritual realm.. take confidence in knowing that you are so important to Him that He gave His son for you.. His "only" Son, Jesus.. with love and i will pray for you.. in Christ.. dale.. ps> isn't it awesome that you are considered worthy to suffer for Christ name sake.. amen..

Last edited:
Upvote 0