I don't want a debate I'm just confused about something....

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't want a debate or to be called names I just simply want to understand something I don't understand...please honor that.

What I don't understand. Yesterday I listened to most of Trump's speech dealing with Charlottesville...now I keep hearing people bash the president over his statement that there were innocent people on both sides of the issue and they should be applauded while those that were guilty should be condemned. What is wrong with that honesty? I mean why not give credit to innocent people for coming in peace to speak their minds and hearts while condemning those that came in anger, hostility, and violence. I don't get it...

That being said, I did see a segment where the president was taken out of context so that his words could be twisted and I get how that would upset people but shame on anyone who accepts manipulation of words over the actual words being said...so what did I miss in his speech and why should I be upset by it?

Reactions: Tutorman

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't want a debate or to be called names I just simply want to understand something I don't understand...please honor that.

What I don't understand. Yesterday I listened to most of Trump's speech dealing with Charlottesville...now I keep hearing people bash the president over his statement that there were innocent people on both sides of the issue and they should be applauded while those that were guilty should be condemned. What is wrong with that honesty? I mean why not give credit to innocent people for coming in peace to speak their minds and hearts while condemning those that came in anger, hostility, and violence. I don't get it...

That being said, I did see a segment where the president was taken out of context so that his words could be twisted and I get how that would upset people but shame on anyone who accepts manipulation of words over the actual words being said...so what did I miss in his speech and why should I be upset by it?
That is not what he said.

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You missed the part where the press HATES Trump, and will twist anything he says. And they'll twist it so loudly and so often that eventually people will believe it's true.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You missed the part where the press HATES Trump, and will twist anything he says. And they'll twist it so loudly and so often that eventually people will believe it's true.
Yet no one has the guts to post Trumps actual words compared to what the media says are his words.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Trump is very similar to Obama. When he was running, his supporters projected what they wanted to see on him, and now his detractors do the same except in a negative light. No matter what he says or does, those who hate him will view it through the prism of what they already believe about him. At the end of the day, both were simply egotistical men who care more about themselves than any core values. You can agree or disagree with some of the things that they have or will do, but it is foolish to think that they are messiahs or anti-Christs.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is not what he said.
That's also not what happened. The central event here was a protest planned and carried out by white supremacists for the purpose of advancing white supremacy. The planned protest was an abomination. That there are Nazis and Klansman marching in the streets of an American city in 2017, under Nazi flags and chanting "Blood and soil!" and "Jews will not replace us" is an abomination. It makes me want to vomit.

That such an event attracted opposition and violence is hardly surprising but incidental to that central fact. That it also prompted a terror attack is also tangential. If people, any people, committed acts of unprovoked violence there, arrest them and prosecute them; that's what we have a justice system for. We deal with acts of violence all the time. Open, organized racism is something else, something that requires total rejection both from the government and from the broader public. Such racism has been a powerful and often dominant force in American life, and suppressing it is vitally important for our health as a nation. This is something everyone from Republican politicians to the Joint Chiefs to corporate CEOs recognizes. Everyone but Donald Trump.

There is no equivalence here. That was evil on display.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
if you notice in the OP I did not miss that point...which is why I stated how irresponsible it is to rely on what someone tells you to believe rather than on the words that came out of his mouth.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why not just watch the press conference yourself?

The relevant remarks begin around 7:20. The remarks that people are specifically objecting to begin about seven minutes later, but I'd recommend watching from 7:20 on to get the best context.

• Informative
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet no one has the guts to post Trumps actual words compared to what the media says are his words.
lol as I was listening to his speech it struck me that none of his speech writers would have written or allowed him to say anything nearly as controversial as some of the media is presenting by taking bits and pieces and twisting them. I mean that is how the political system works, he has speech writers who guard against the things he is accused of saying. IOW's the speech wasn't even his own words but the words of his speech writer....

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trump is very similar to Obama. When he was running, his supporters projected what they wanted to see on him, and now his detractors do the same except in a negative light. No matter what he says or does, those who hate him will view it through the prism of what they already believe about him. At the end of the day, both were simply egotistical men who care more about themselves than any core values. You can agree or disagree with some of the things that they have or will do, but it is foolish to think that they are messiahs or anti-Christs.
true enough but even Obama had speech writers...we didn't hear his own words yet judged the man based on what others told him to say to paint him in the best light...same applies here.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I recall him calling one of the white supremacist leaders a good person though...that's what caused me to go eh... idk if I can give Trump a pass on this one.

I'm one of those that never supported him but thought he was alright...even gave him a pass on Putin....but once I read about his health care legislation and the possible negative impact it could have on millions and the increase on premiums started to get doubts...and his speech addressing charlote sort of enhanced that.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's also not what happened. The central event here was a protest planned and carried out by white supremacists for the purpose of advancing white supremacy. The planned protest was an abomination. That there are Nazis and Klansman marching in the streets of an American city in 2017, under Nazi flags and chanting "Blood and soil!" and "Jews will not replace us" is an abomination. It makes me want to vomit.

That such an event attracted opposition and violence is hardly surprising but incidental to that central fact. That it also prompted a terror attack is also tangential. If people, any people, committed acts of unprovoked violence there, arrest them and prosecute them; that's what we have a justice system for. We deal with acts of violence all the time. Open, organized racism is something else, something that requires total rejection both from the government and from the broader public. Such racism has been a powerful and often dominant force in American life, and suppressing it is vitally important for our health as a nation. This is something everyone from Republican politicians to the Joint Chiefs to corporate CEOs recognizes. Everyone but Donald Trump.

There is no equivalence here. That was evil on display.
so, let me see if I get you right...you wanted Trump to come out in favor of destroying free speech in this country because you didn't like what the protesters were saying? Therefore you have the right to condemn his saying that there were peaceful people on both sides of the issue? Did I get that right?

• Winner
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess another problem is that he didn't seem... I guess people expected him to be less tolerate towards the actions that took place then he was by sort of establishing a sort of moral equivalency it seemed between the two groups in charlotte but eh idk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I recall him calling one of the white supremacist leaders a good person though...that's what caused me to go eh... idk if I can give Trump a pass on this one.

I'm one of those that never supported him but thought he was alright...even gave him a pass on Putin....but once I read about his health care legislation and the possible negative impact it could have on millions and the increase on premiums started to get doubts...and his speech addressing charlote sort of enhanced that.

I posted the full press conference in this thread.

If he said that "one of the white supremacist leader" was a good person, it should be simple enough to give the time stamp where that occurs in the video I posted, and everyone can verify it for themselves.

• Winner
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I posted the full press conference in this thread.

If he said that "one of the white supremacist leader" was a good person, it should be simple enough to give the time stamp where that occurs in the video I posted, and everyone can verify it for themselves.
He did his name started with a C I watched the video myself it wasn't just a new report although IDK if this was in the main conference and k

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I guess it depends on your definition of innocent.If you march in support with Nazis and anti- semites,can you really claim that you are not a Nazi or anti-semite? There is no straddle the fence equivalency

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who's no one? Certainly not CNN or MSNBC. But other networks play side by side Trump's statement and then the twist. It's pretty obvious v

• Winner
Upvote 0