Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
My views:
1) TULIP
2) Either the PCA or Lutheran view of baptism
3) liturgical worship
4) clearly defined documents
I know I was told the Anglican ACNA would be a good fit for me but after watching interviews, it seems like I would be an oddball there being a 5 pointer; but then the worship service in the local PCA is very modern with guitars, and everything with a massive number of people where I would just be ignored by all the large families. So I really just think it's pointless for me. I wanted to maybe study in a seminary in order to preach to Muslims with my Arabic knowledge but it seems that I will never be involved enough to be recommended, and I'm an older male anyway now.... thoughts?

As far as Seminary, it is never too late to learn more, but it is never too early to begin talking with those for whom you are concerned, about God and his Word. You don't need to go to a big church to find places you may fit better than you imagine. When I visited my daughter and her husband during the Covid lockdowns, we had liturgical services right there in their house. The Reformed Baptists are often in small churches that are not necessarily insistent on what sort of Baptism anyone holds to, though, of course, they are not normally liturgical in their worship. Also, there are big PCA churches that make a concerted effort to operate in small groups. Maybe you can be a part of opening a new congregation/church, branching out of a big church.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
fair points, honestly the way I see it is if you have 3 sermons on Luke 16. One from PCA, one ACNA, and one LCMS, each gets through a different point that I missed in the other sermon but all 3 combined gives me I think the full idea of what's going on, so I don't see it as a negative to have so many denominations, but I would rather just write books or something, start a newsletter or a journal than start a new denom

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
fair points, honestly the way I see it is if you have 3 sermons on Luke 16. One from PCA, one ACNA, and one LCMS, each gets through a different point that I missed in the other sermon but all 3 combined gives me I think the full idea of what's going on, so I don't see it as a negative to have so many denominations, but I would rather just write books or something, start a newsletter or a journal than start a new denom
I bet God's idea would be different from all 3. Reminds me of the narratives of Job and his friends, of whom Job is the only one that God said told the truth about him, and then turns around and wipes Job back and forth across the floor with how Job had spoken without merit.

"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you."

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not an outgoing person really and Islam is very rational and philosophical so I would need more knowledge to argue with them.

Yes you need to know what and why you believe, as well as some islamic theology.
You want to reach muslims, look around, do a google search for a mosque there will be muslims close to where you are,.
what is stopping you from talking to them?
Most muslims are happy to discus what they believe and by talking regularly with them you can build a relationship as you chat about islam and christianity.

Two things will help with this.

your being willing to talk to strangers and turn them into friends.

and

having a christian community who are supporting you in prayer and to whom you can turn to for help and advice.

Find a missionary minded church and join it.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes you need to know what and why you believe, as well as some islamic theology.
You want to reach muslims, look around, do a google search for a mosque there will be muslims close to where you are,.
what is stopping you from talking to them?
Most muslims are happy to discus what they believe and by talking regularly with them you can build a relationship as you chat about islam and christianity.

Two things will help with this.

your being willing to talk to strangers and turn them into friends.

and

having a christian community who are supporting you in prayer and to whom you can turn to for help and advice.

Find a missionary minded church and join it.
to reiterate, my primary goal is not necessarily to evangelize in person since I'm a shy person. It's more to write academically minded essays that I can low key recommend to people, not in person really, this would require a lot of studying and such. As a shy person, I want to remain in the shadows.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like how ACNA has been influenced by both Lutherans and Presbyterians, its a perfect mix of doctrines rather than a hardline view. I've been researching Presbyterians and ACNA this week and it confirms that they are open minded

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
to reiterate, my primary goal is not necessarily to evangelize in person since I'm a shy person. It's more to write academically minded essays that I can low key recommend to people, not in person really, this would require a lot of studying and such. As a shy person, I want to remain in the shadows.

What ever you do requires training studying and one of the most effective ways of finding g out what people believe is to talk to them.
One does not have to be an extra to be an evangelist, just willing g to talk one to one with people.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So after watching Jordan Cooper discuss Anglicanism with some ACNA people, I decided it isn't for me. I'm currently studying Old School Presbyterianism even though there is no PCA church in my area. I plan on joining/finding an online only church. I no longer think that being physically in a pew is necessary, half the time I can't walk anyway.

• Prayers
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So after watching Jordan Cooper discuss Anglicanism with some ACNA people, I decided it isn't for me. I'm currently studying Old School Presbyterianism even though there is no PCA church in my area. I plan on joining/finding an online only church. I no longer think that being physically in a pew is necessary, half the time I can't walk anyway.

Don’t forget to fellowship.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... thoughts?
Hello! Pray and let the Lord lead you, you'll never know what doors he can open up. Doors that you weren't aware of before. I wondered where to go when I had a bad experience in AOG and then visited several churches and didn't fit. But a door opened up in a church where I least expected it. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
recently getting back into considering ACNA again. Basically, I started reading Gerald Bray's systematics and he is more on the reformed side/ it
s a weird book because it only cites Bible verses to make his points but I like how he sounds Presbyterian on a lot of his views, this encourages me that ACNA is a fit for me, someone with mixed Lutheran and Presbyterian views. My only concern is though that (Lutheran) seminaries have strict reqs like you have to attend a Lutheran church to go to a Lutheran seminary type deal, so the only reason why I don't go is because I don't want it to detract from getting into a Lutheran seminary but maybe it's for the best if I don't. I don't know. I feel like I'm part of the ACNA community in spirit by now. It seems the best option for me. I'm glad I did the research. I also came across the FV "federal vision" or CREC and decided they lack the Lutheran law/gospel distinction which the ACNA church here holds to; and so it is that I admit I'm an ACNA :oops: "Here I stand......."

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are one choosing restrictions into which nothing can fit. If you want to do that work, humble yourself and find a close fit.
I mean one can say the same about the LCMS or PCA too I guess OPC. I've since embraced ambiguity and ACNA

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Many things look great on paper. I went through similar challenges a little while ago. I'd settled on Mennonites and looked forward to fellowship. But when I had an opportunity to engage with Anabaptists I realized how different we were. The emphasis on plainness was disquieting. Many wore it as a badge of honor and made frequent comparisons between themselves and other believers. Nevertheless, I learned a lot and discovered a church plant overseas. I found a wonderful devotional that's edifying and free of charge.

As with most things it comes back to the people. My biggest sticking point was community and I encourage you to pinpoint the same. Don't judge a book by its cover. Spend time in their presence and see how you feel. Although it wasn't the right fit I found two promising churches part of larger ministries that are planting churches, developing leaders and emphasizing community. I love the work they're doing in an area where Christianity is waning. It gives me hope.

There's nothing wrong with agreeing with different perspectives and seeking clarity on your beliefs. But when you've reached a point where you're in a box and nothing fits that's a problem. At the end of the day we all need Jesus. Perhaps this is an opportunity to step outside your comfort zone and have new experiences. You'll never know unless you're receptive.

~bella

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Many things look great on paper. I went through similar challenges a little while ago. I'd settled on Mennonites and looked forward to fellowship. But when I had an opportunity to engage with Anabaptists I realized how different we were. The emphasis on plainness was disquieting. Many wore it as a badge of honor and made frequent comparisons between themselves and other believers. Nevertheless, I learned a lot and discovered a church plant overseas. I found a wonderful devotional that's edifying and free of charge.

As with most things it comes back to the people. My biggest sticking point was community and I encourage you to pinpoint the same. Don't judge a book by its cover. Spend time in their presence and see how you feel. Although it wasn't the right fit I found two promising churches part of larger ministries that are planting churches, developing leaders and emphasizing community. I love the work they're doing in an area where Christianity is waning. It gives me hope.

There's nothing wrong with agreeing with different perspectives and seeking clarity on your beliefs. But when you've reached a point where you're in a box and nothing fits that's a problem. At the end of the day we all need Jesus. Perhaps this is an opportunity to step outside your comfort zone and have new experiences. You'll never know unless you're receptive.

~bella
agreed. I think you're right thanks.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I've never "joined" anywhere because I've never had the assurance I require which would enable me to do it.
If you're not an AI, I'm guessing you joined the human race, without agreeing to it, nor even being consulted.

Upvote 0

Jacque_Pierre22

Aug 13, 2014
nyc
✟47,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've never "joined" anywhere because I've never had the assurance I require which would enable me to do it.
years of study led me to this. If your unsure its a good conservative branch for Lutheran/ presbyterians without being full bore Lutheran or Presby

Upvote 0