Sep 4, 2010
✟8,018.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone, this isn't a big deal but bothers me at times. I have been born again for as long as I can remember, I was also filled with the spirit about 2 years ago. Their is also someone about my age at my church who is really on fire for God, and she also says she doesn't remember. I know i've said the prayer of salvation 100 times growing up. But I remember being a little boy and believing in Jesus Christ and that has never changed. I used to say I was saved in highschool, because I rededicated my life to Christ at an Aquire the Fire event and began growing, but that isn't totally true because i've believed and trusted in Jesus since as early as I can remember.
I'm going through some tough times in my Christ walk, and this seems to add to my stress. Is their anyone else out their that doesn't remember exactly when they first believed?

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, this isn't a big deal but bothers me at times. I have been born again for as long as I can remember, I was also filled with the spirit about 2 years ago. Their is also someone about my age at my church who is really on fire for God, and she also says she doesn't remember. I know i've said the prayer of salvation 100 times growing up. But I remember being a little boy and believing in Jesus Christ and that has never changed. I used to say I was saved in highschool, because I rededicated my life to Christ at an Aquire the Fire event and began growing, but that isn't totally true because i've believed and trusted in Jesus since as early as I can remember.
I'm going through some tough times in my Christ walk, and this seems to add to my stress. Is their anyone else out their that doesn't remember exactly when they first believed?

I too have no idea when I first born again. My parents said it happened when I was in my highchair eating dinner as a toddler haha.

Sometimes I feel jealous of people who had a wonderful salvation experience, but then I remind myself that the only reason it was so wonderful to them is because they actually know what it is like to be separated from God.

I think that something that a lot of Christians do not understand is that there is a difference between "being saved" and "giving your life to Jesus". When I was 21, the Lord spoke life into my heart and showed me that even though I was saved and going to heaven, I was living for myself and had been my whole life. So much emphasis is placed on starting the race (your initial salvation experience), that people don't even realize that they haven't been running it. I don't know if this applies to you, but I always tell people that I believed in Jesus since I was old enough to understand how to (because my parents raised me the way I ought to go - proverbs 22:6), but I gave him my life when I was 21.

Upvote 0

justpassingthrough21

Sep 4, 2010
✟8,018.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow that was powerful! I've never seen it put like that before. I would have to say my experience is exactly like yours. I can remember when I was about 6 or 7 and listening to Carmen on cassette tapes and just being so in love with Jesus. And I remember being convicted of sin when I was so young. But when I got married to my wife, something happened in my life and I started hungering for God so much, and just surrendered everything to Him. I also do not remember not ever knowing Jesus, and i'm glad for that. So I can totally see what your saying. Thank you
~Aaron

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Wow that was powerful! I've never seen it put like that before. I would have to say my experience is exactly like yours. I can remember when I was about 6 or 7 and listening to Carmen on cassette tapes and just being so in love with Jesus. And I remember being convicted of sin when I was so young. But when I got married to my wife, something happened in my life and I started hungering for God so much, and just surrendered everything to Him. I also do not remember not ever knowing Jesus, and i'm glad for that. So I can totally see what your saying. Thank you
~Aaron

I do remember when I was born again, it was March 20th 1993.

I do not however remember when I was born! I have no recollection of being born at all. However, accurate recollection of being born is not proof I am alive physically. The proof of being born physically is that there is blood running through my body, that my heart is beating, that my lungs are inhaling air, that I can live, breathe, speak, dance and sing.

Now,you do not remember when you were born again. You have no recollection of being born again. However, accurate recollection of being born again is not the proof that you are alive spiritually. The proof that you are alive spiritually is that you have a passion for the things of God, that the Word is alive when you read it, that you enjoy holiness, that you can hear His voice. That you are spiritually alive right now. Praying, learning, growing, moving.

And on that basis, it is obvious you are born again. Destination: heaven.

Upvote 0

PastorMike

Newry Christian Centre
Oct 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟26,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I remember exactly when I was born again it was 26th January 1986, I remember it vividly...

It is not my place to tell anyone whether they are or not just to preach the gospel and one thing that God has impressed upon me lately is to tell people to make sure they are born again, don't leave it to chance or to might be's or maybe's, know for sure and then you will have no fears or doubts...

God bless,

Mike.

• Winner
Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

I have no remembrance of my being born again either but I've been in personal relationship with Him for over 50 years. I know that I'm saved. The moment I believed on and trusted in Him I was born again. I don't think it's important that I remember when just that it did :)

If you are believing and trusting in Him for your salvation you are on the right path. He is your light on the path. Don't listen to anyone who tells you differently.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think people mistakenly equate their "decision" to "make Jesus the Lord of their life" as their salvation date. I think God gives us faith for salvation, and this so-called "decision" is merely our mind catching up with our spirit. I think I was saved some time before I made any "decisions." I do not think God cares about our carnal, soulish decisions. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by a word spoken from Christ. This is not dependant on any "decision" on our part. I used to teach that we were "suddenly saved" because we are actually saved by revelation and not by decision. God saves us by imparting faith to us... not by our agreeing or "allowing" Him to do it.
So I think that we kid ourselves into thinking that our salvation occurs only when we do something... when in fact our salvation occurred when He did something... that is speak the word of faith into our hearts.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I was saved and saved and saved again - LOL - I was raised in a church that everytime you committed a sin you had to start from scratch again - I've never had a time that I was not a Christian - even though I was only a church pew warmeing Christian.

However when I was filled with the Holy Spirit - I had a touch from Heaven that I could never forget - it was so strong that it was so very, very special and life has never been the same.

I don't think it is so important that you remember the date - you would know in your heart if you were not saved.

Upvote 0

justpassingthrough21

Sep 4, 2010
✟8,018.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you so much for your words Sharon. I probably would have never even brought up the topic except that I was having some battles within my mind, and at that point I began really thinking about my salvation. I had a touch from the Holy Spirit when I was about 7 or 8, but I filled when I was 21. It was a really wonderful experience that I will always remember. After hearing everyones comment I realize I don't need to know an exact date but just to focus on where I am at now and moving upwards from here.

Upvote 0

Angieh

Oct 18, 2004
✟15,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I too am relieved to hear that others have the same concern! I also couldn't give you a date.... I love the post referencing the fact that although we can not remember our physical birth we know we have been born! I may use that when those around me are sharing their Got Saved dates :) Have a blessed New Year!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justpassingthrough21

Sep 4, 2010
✟8,018.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now I realize their are lots of people out their that don't know. They are spiritually alive today, but they don't remember when they exactly started their journey. I asked my wife and she doesn't know, she says she doesn't remember a specific day she was saved. She always believed the Word about Jesus, but never lived for Him. Then she started going to church and a few months later she was filled with The Spirit.

Upvote 0
J

JIMOH

About remembering and salvation...

1Co 15:1-4
1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HI jpt21, Many cannot remember the date but the experience is another story. A real salvation, according to God's Word, includes one making a conscious decision to turn their life around; otherwise known as repentance. Look up what repentance means. At salvation, one must realize their sinfulness and total depravity and the eternal damnation and suffering in torment which their condition deserves and will get without the redemption Christ's blood brings. You say that you believed as far back as you can remember. Jesus tells us that even demons believe. Salvation must include an agreement with God about the futility of our own way and a determined decision to follow Christ's way. Jesus told us that if we were going to be a Christian, or as He put it, a follower of Him, we must DENY ourselves, TAKE UP our cross, and FOLLOW Him. These are all ACTIONS on our part which will be an ABRUPT CHANGE from our previous SELF-CENTERED mode of thinking/operation. Like I say in my signature, in effect, Christ took a bullet in the head, which was meant for us and of which we deserved. When one is saved they should have an understanding of this in some manner. This is why many believe in what is called "the age of accountability" or such for children. Until a person is able to comprehend and responsibly respond in some life-changing degree to the salvation message, there can be no assurance of salvation.

I place a significant amount of blame upon those who "bring the new convert to the Lord" or other such descriptions. A critical point of the Gospel message is our sinfulness and our pending eternal damnation and another is that true repentance involves one immediately turning their life around and changing to some significant degree the way in which they live. This is only a normal and expected result after one realizes what Jesus, the Christ, did for them and receives the gift. Such change, one would remember. Allow me to offer an excerpt from C. H. Spurgeon's autobiography:

"From Spurgeon's Autobiography
The Great Change—Conversion
indent.gif
I have heard men tell the story of their conversion, and of their spiritual life, in such a way that my heart hath loathed them and their story, too, for they have told of their sins as if they did boast in the greatness of their crime, and they have mentioned the love of God, not with a tear of gratitude, not with the simple thanksgiving of the really humble heart, but as if they as much exalted themselves as they exalted God. Oh! when we tell the story of our own conversion, I would have it done with great sorrow, remembering what we used to be, and with great joy and gratitude, remembering how little we deserve these things. I was once preaching upon conversion and salvation, and I felt within myself, as preachers often do, that it was but dry work to tell this story, and a dull, dull tale it was to me; but, on a sudden, the thought crossed my mind, "Why, you are a poor, lost, ruined sinner yourself; tell it, tell it as you received it; begin to tell of the grace of God as you trust you feel it yourself." Why, then, my eyes began to be fountains of tears; those hearers who had nodded their heads began to brighten up, and they listened, because they were hearing something which the speaker himself felt, and which they recognized as being true to him if it was not true to them.
indent.gif
Can you not remember, dearly-beloved, that day of days, that best and brightest of hours, when first you saw the Lord, lost your burden, received the roll of promise, rejoiced in full salvation, and went on your way in peace? My soul can never forget that day. Dying, all but dead, diseased, pained, chained, scourged, bound in fetters of iron, in darkness and the shadow of death, Jesus appeared unto me. My eyes looked to Him; the disease was healed, the pains removed, chains were snapped, prison doors were opened, darkness gave place to light. What delight filled my soul!—what mirth, what ecstasy, what sound of music and dancing, what soarings towards Heaven, what heights and depths of ineffable delight! Scarcely ever since then have I known joys which surpassed the rapture of that first hour.—C. H. S." Pasted from: The Great Change—Conversion

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now I realize their are lots of people out their that don't know. They are spiritually alive today, but they don't remember when they exactly started their journey. I asked my wife and she doesn't know, she says she doesn't remember a specific day she was saved. She always believed the Word about Jesus, but never lived for Him. Then she started going to church and a few months later she was filled with The Spirit.

I agree with Pastor Mike above. I, nor anyone else, can say with certainty whether another is saved or not. I can ONLY say that if you have recurring moments of doubt yourself, which you have told us you do, then I would suggest that you make a conscious decision today to recognize all of which Jesus Christ has done for you and admit your desperate need for His sacrifice for you, the only true salvation, and accept this free gift in faith of its effectual restoration and reconciliation with God, the loving and merciful and most gracious Father. Then you WILL have a moment to remember for assurance of your salvation and the plague of your recurring doubt will be history, once and for all.

Please, forgive me if I seem intrusive with the following but in my opinion, a certain denomination handicaps its believers with a constant fear of losing their salvation and the potential need to be "saved" multiple times in their life which can foster and even encourage doubts of one's salvation. If you belong to such a church please endeavor to seek the truth in God's Word relative to eternal security of salvation. Also, I belong to the group of believers who embrace all of the Scripture which says or indicates that we are filled with the Holy Spirit from Salvation. How much we appropriate the Holy Spirit into our lives is up to us and a variance throughout life. A belief that one is filled with the Spirit at a different time than one's Salvation in light of Scripture which does not agree with idea open's up room for doubt and confusion relative to one's security of salvation, not to mention their being filled with the Holy Spirit. There is much distracting confusion and division/derision in the ranks of such a denomination preventing many of its members from being an effectual ambassador for Christ, IMO.

( I know that this is almost to the day 9 yrs after your OP but as you indicate it is a recurring problem which you have accepted, I see applicability in responding even now.)

Upvote 0