Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In my generation I think I'm a pretty odd one. I am in my 20s my first decade as an adult, but I don't like the 2010s world and wish I was at that age during the 50s to early-90s. I feel like it's reached near disaster point and society won't recover not even 20 or 30 years back. I don't have a really bright feeling about all the technology that will change everything and who we are either, even though I use some of it myself. It would've been nicer to grow up when tech was more simple and primitive, and there was a better window to improve things. Like God says "Oh I'm sorry I can't fix it even though your ancestors before you screwed it all up", I have lately become very militant about my point of view.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In my generation I think I'm a pretty odd one. I am in my 20s my first decade as an adult, but I don't like the 2010s world and wish I was at that age during the 50s to early-90s. I feel like it's reached near disaster point and society won't recover not even 20 or 30 years back. I don't have a really bright feeling about all the technology that will change everything and who we are either, even though I use some of it myself. It would've been nicer to grow up when tech was more simple and primitive, and there was a better window to improve things. Like God says "Oh I'm sorry I can't fix it even though your ancestors before you screwed it all up", I have lately become very militant about my point of view.
In the book of Proverbs it is written I think that it is not wise to wish it was like some other time.

We are where we are.... and yes, society is doomed.

Seeking hope ? Joy? Freedom from doom ? Peace ?

That won't be found in society (which God says is evil/ pernicious).

Salvation from doom is found only in Jesus.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I lived through the time period that you're nostalgic for. It was good in some ways, bad in some ways, neutral everyday life in some ways. What particular features about the era do you wish we still had?

Upvote 0

Roidecoeur78

This world is not my home.
Dec 14, 2018
Midwest
✟21,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, that's a common feeling. The world is on its way. Get right with your Creator and you won't have anything to worry about.

"Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold" Matt 24:12
"the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction" 2Pet3:7

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟106,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I lived through the time period that you're nostalgic for. It was good in some ways, bad in some ways, neutral everyday life in some ways. What particular features about the era do you wish we still had?
Well for either Christian or secular reasons too, what really is in front of me now is that modern "political correctness" and everyone being very offended about minor things, I am very supportive of the first amendment and freedom of speech. That is the biggest one I'm thinking about.

And before everything converted to digital technology (and that changed people in many ways too), there was something more special beyond the experience of how stuff worked. An example is cinema, today cinema has changed to all-digital and it's more closer to just popping a disc in and hitting play, while 35mm film has a more special and mechanical meaning. I don't really dislike social networking or other modern things per se, but we never see the old ways and knowledge of doing stuff anymore because they are almost extinct.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I have to agree though I am much older. It seems that people are very addicted to their cell phones and has forgot how to do things. It was nicer in the 80's when I was a teen when technology was just up and coming. As a Computer guy I find myself becoming more of a bit a Luddite, I even bought an old iBook that I use to write my papers in college. I even received a combo style record/CD/Radio player for Christmas and have ordered some records and I like Old time radio and old shows much better, though I do like some modern shows. I even have gotten an subscription to Good old days magazine, Ah the simpler times.

If the technology goes away either through some natural disaster or an emp people are going to have a hard time and possibly, sadly mass suicide because their tech is gone.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Well you do realize that before Jesus comes back, all the world will turn against G-d. I mean this is fundamental to what the entire book revelation is about, right?

So... if the world was getting better and better, and all the nations were turning to G-d.... I would have to wonder if the Bible was lying....

Or, I would have to assume that Jesus isn't coming back for a long time... and honestly that would be terrible.

If I had to be honest, I want Jesus to come back as soon as possible. Life hasn't been all that great for me, so the better he comes back and we're out of here.... the better. So watching society self destruct doesn't bother me that much. I just take it that it means the return of the Lord is coming.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Eh...society may be terrible, but it is very rarely uniquely so. What is the quote popularly attributed to Cicero (d. 43 BC) -- something like "Times are bad; children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book"? Something like that. It is probably misattributed anyway. Point is, though, nostalgia can be good in small doses (say, if it helps you get through a difficult period in your life to remember when things were better, so that you don't lose track of the fact that not everything has always been the way it is now, so if you keep on moving forward maybe it will be better in the future), it's not going to do anything to fix whatever you see as wrong with now. Even if you could go back to the 50s or the 90s (the 50s were a bit before my time, but I lived through all of the 90s and then some), it wouldn't be however you imagine it was. Our memories are more shaped by us than by the facts of whatever actually happened (that's why eyewitness testimony is usually considered a very unreliable form of evidence in court; memory is deceptive), and in any case you'd still be you, and you'd have the experiences you have had since whenever "the good old days" were, so you might not feel as home in it as you may assume that you would. I have a feeling that being around teenaged me of 20+ years ago would just make me want to punch teenaged me. And then adult-me would go to jail, because adults can't just hit children. "Political correctness", indeed. :doh::p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟106,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well you do realize that before Jesus comes back, all the world will turn against G-d. I mean this is fundamental to what the entire book revelation is about, right?

So... if the world was getting better and better, and all the nations were turning to G-d.... I would have to wonder if the Bible was lying....

Or, I would have to assume that Jesus isn't coming back for a long time... and honestly that would be terrible.

If I had to be honest, I want Jesus to come back as soon as possible. Life hasn't been all that great for me, so the better he comes back and we're out of here.... the better. So watching society self destruct doesn't bother me that much. I just take it that it means the return of the Lord is coming.

If Jesus ever came back and we all went to heaven afterwards, one thing that bothers me is that I'll no longer be able to express any negative feelings about these people who were the seeds of this on earth. Why does that sound like we're only accepted and avoid eternal punishment if we sacrifice every part and emotion of who we are down here?

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If Jesus ever came back and we all went to heaven afterwards, one thing that bothers me is that I'll no longer be able to express any negative feelings about these people who were the seeds of this on earth. Why does that sound like we're only accepted and avoid eternal punishment if we sacrifice every part and emotion of who we are down here?

I don't know what you are talking about. Who are these people who were seeds? Why would I need to express negative thoughts about them?

If you mean evil people in general... there is nothing wrong with praying for justice. David prayed for justice against his enemies all the time.

Just understand that it may not happen in this life. And as for Heaven... it isn't that you can't express anger at evil... there just won't be any evil. And it isn't that you can't pray for justice in Heaven, it is just that there will be no need to pray for such. G-d is going to dispense justice on all. Every knee will bow before the Lord G-d of Heaven.

There will be no wrong, that isn't put right. There will be nothing to complain about.

The only exception will be for those who are evil themselves, who will be sealed away from Heaven, in a state of hatred for the Lord. They will complain and nash their teeth for all eternity.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Like God says "Oh I'm sorry I can't fix it even though your ancestors before you screwed it all up"
You're right to be concerned. The Psalms ask, "if the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?". And as you point out with freedom of speech, and with the near-demise of the family and any kind of sexual rationality, the foundations are well on their way to being destroyed.

But the days of yore were not without challenges of equal weight. In retrospect, they look tame. But going through them, they were not tame. Though they had some very good qualities, it's a mistake to fixate on them and idealize them. While we will try to restore what has been lost, going back wholesale is not the answer, and indeed is not possible.

God has promised that a day of re-creation is coming for all those who place their trust in Him: "Behold, I make all things new" (Rev 21.5). And it gets personal, right here and now: "If anyone be in Christ, new creation! Old things have passed away; behold, all things are made new" (2Cor 5:17-ff). Feeding on the promises of God is sustenance and protection for the heart.

We will continue to fight for what is right, here and now. But our true citizenship is from heaven, not the fallen Earthly system. That is where our heart and allegiance first lie.

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the book of Proverbs it is written I think that it is not wise to wish it was like some other time.

We are where we are.... and yes, society is doomed.

Seeking hope ? Joy? Freedom from doom ? Peace ?

That won't be found in society (which God says is evil/ pernicious).

Salvation from doom is found only in Jesus.
Well spoken, Jeff. This world is rotting from the inside out. But this must be just as God has spoken. We as the church are called to be IN the world, but not OF it. Until we learn the difference, we will find it difficult at best to “let not your hearts be troubled.” But praise God, the peace that passes all understanding is still available to any who will turn away from the despair and fix their eyes only upon Jesus. It may be we are the blessed generation who will be a part of the end gathering. I strongly suspect we are. Will I see it? I am not a date setter, and I am also almost 70, but it would not surprise me if I will. God said that once the dominos begin to fall, He will do aquick work on the earth.come quickly, Lord, Jesus.

On a personal note, good to see you again, dear brother.

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We as the church are called to be IN the world, but not OF it. Until we learn the difference, we will find it difficult at best to “let not your hearts be troubled.” But praise God, the peace that passes all understanding is still available to any who will turn away from the despair and fix their eyes only upon Jesus.
Shalom!

The Ekklesia (better identifier) , are in the world and not of the world, we (by definition of Ekklesia) already know the difference, and have no difficulty having the gift of peace , joy and righteousness in Christ Jesus without measure, daily.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟694,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You wish it was like the 50s?

Let me guess, you're white, right?
I don’t think it’s a racist issue at all to long for a more traditional time. The rampant immorality right now is so discouraging. I don’t think it will ever get better.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t think it’s a racist issue at all to long for a more traditional time. The rampant immorality right now is so discouraging. I don’t think it will ever get better.

Just saying that anyone who wants the 50s to return would quickly change their tune if they were African American during that time.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟106,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Also, how many different interpretations do you think there are of Revelation?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.