Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's true, I don't like it... In my opinion, it's better to "like" things because a lot of times, I think people hit the agree button when 30 seconds beforehand, they had never even contemplated the thing that they're agreeing with, but they hit it just to make themselves appear to have already known something.

What I think this tends to lead to, is the fostering of arrogance, and what that then leads to, is the inability to promote learning, because when you stop "liking" and prefer "agreeing", you're not encouraging others to be creative. And so what you're left with, is stagnation and not growth.

This is a hypothesis.

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's true, I don't like it... In my opinion, it's better to "like" things because a lot of times, I think people hit the agree button when 30 seconds beforehand, they had never even contemplated the thing that they're agreeing with, but they hit it just to make themselves appear to have already known something.

What I think this tends to lead to, is the fostering of arrogance, and what that then leads to, is the inability to promote learning, because when you stop "liking" and prefer "agreeing", you're not encouraging others to be creative. And so what you're left with, is stagnation and not growth.

This is a hypothesis.

Actually, your making assumptions about people who hit agree, that may or may not be true.

If something is new information to me, I click the "informative" button.

However, I may click "informative" and "agree" in the same thread, because there may be a portion of the information that is new which I have given full consideration before. The "new" aspect may in fact only be new in portion, rather than in total.

But saying you don't like the agree button because the person pressing that button has never before so much as considered the information, is making an assumption you don't have enough information to assert.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This is a hypothesis.

I like it because sometimes people express something that closely matches your position. While the Like button to me just says "Hey you made a good point!", or "cool idea", nice picture or video etc.

So I see it as stronger emoticon, something you would use less often but showing more identification with something that just saying cool.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, your making assumptions about people who hit agree, that may or may not be true.

If something is new information to me, I click the "informative" button.

However, I may click "informative" and agree in the same thread, because there may be a portion of the information that is new which I have given full consideration before. The "new" aspect may in fact, only be new in portion, rather than in total.

But saying you don't like the agree button because the person pressing that button has never before so much as considered the information, is making assumption you don't have enough information to assert.

Well the main thing for me is supporting other people's creativity. I think that's the real reason I prefer "like".

So, when would you use the like button as opposed to the agree button? I guess I just see them as competing notions, and I see one as humble and modest, while simultaneously supportive... The other is just kind of like... I don't know, worthless information..?

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well the main thing for me is supporting other people's creativity. I think that's the real reason I prefer "like".

So, when would you use the like button as opposed to the agree button? I guess I just see them as competing notions, and I see one as humble and modest, while simultaneously supportive... The other is just kind of like... I don't know, worthless information..?

I sometimes "like" posts that I only partially agree with, or just in support of the poster (more rare but I do this sometimes, especially if I like the poster as a person). I use winner for any information, new or known, that I think is an awesome response or thought process.

But informative for me is the button I use when it's new enough information to delve more deeply into, whether that be to just fact check or to actually meditate over. And if it's something I need to fully consider, I may never actually respond in a thread as it usually takes me a while to fully consider new perspectives...

So informative for me probably says something different than agree. Your right in saying agree means I know what your saying and agree to the premise. While informative means I need to consider it more fully in some way. And like generally means I agree in part or just support the individual.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

This is a hypothesis.
If I'm not sure that I agree 100% I won't click 'agree'. I might just hit 'like'. I use 'informative' in a positive sense in that I appreciate the information.

I know why we don't have any 'dislike' and 'disagree' buttons, but I sometimes really want them. But that's a different thread.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I'm not sure that I agree 100% I won't click 'agree'. I might just hit 'like'. I use 'informative' in a positive sense in that I appreciate the information.

I know why we don't have any 'dislike' and 'disagree' buttons, but I sometimes really want them. But that's a different thread.

I dislike the disagree... I'd be pushing it too much, and people may feel their opinions unwelcome, which would not be the case. I'd rather just say why I disagree, it's more accurate than a button.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For me "Like" is often a more general approbation, one in which I don't have to agree with all the details, but only the sentiment. "Agree" is a stronger affirmation. It most often is for something I already had an opinion on, but it may be that I recognized the truth of what was just said for the first time. I won't hit Agree if I have significant reservations about what was said, but I might hit Like if the good overrules the bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I hit agree when I agree. Seems simple to me. I think the optimistic button can very obviously be a double edged sword. That can be a sarcastic button just as well sometimes. If one finds themselves just wising off with buttons it's probably best to not hit any at that time or it may come up on judgement day.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This is a hypothesis.

I don't agree, but there's no button for that. Which brings us to the most worthless button on the forums, the notorious rainbow. That is the surreptitious "disagree" button.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

This is a hypothesis.
Can we agree to disagree on this?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't agree, but there's no button for that. Which brings us to the most worthless button on the forums, the notorious rainbow. That is the surreptitious "disagree" button.

I can see how that could be used sarcastically. Good point. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

This is a hypothesis.
When stagnation is growth, it's cancer I think.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is a hypothesis.
It never occurred to me that "agree’ meant I already knew something. Could you give a specific example of scenario? Including how the ‘like" could encourage creativity?

For myself, "agree" means I agree with what was said.
‘Like’ means I like your post, but I don’t necessarily agree with every word. Or you posted something clever or funny/entertaining
‘Informative’ means cool I learned something
‘Useful’ is often a compliment to how the comment added value to the discussion

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like it because sometimes people express something that closely matches your position. While the Like button to me just says "Hey you made a good point!", or "cool idea", nice picture or video etc.

So I see it as stronger emoticon, something you would use less often but showing more identification with something that just saying cool.
I AGREE! Lol.

Upvote 0