Alabama
✟7,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i dislike money strongly and i am not sure what to do about that; i have no desire for it because i think it would or will corrupt me, so i stay away from it, but i realize that in our world that there seems to be a requirement for it in order to buy materials that people may require

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Check out the 'minimalist movement.' There are people living lifestyles that are no longer centered around material gain. Of course you need to put food on the table and a safe place to stay, but there are plenty of like minded people, including Christians, who are living differently with a different perspective on stuff, since life is so short you know.

Just stay out of debt if you can and you willl be richer than most.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i think theres more to life than money and clothes

That's true, I guess with our nice weather here in Southern California clothes are not an necessity.
But, in snow country they come in handy.

Sorry about that -- on a serious note.
I have known many who thought as you do when they were young. They never seemed to care about money or their future. They wish now that they would have worked harder and saved for their retirement years.

Don't let it come back to bite you in the end.

The Bible supports those that believe in
hard earned money.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
i dislike money strongly and i am not sure what to do about that; i have no desire for it because i think it would or will corrupt me, so i stay away from it, but i realize that in our world that there seems to be a requirement for it in order to buy materials that people may require
It's the love of money that is a problem. We are in the world, so money is essential. One way to break its hold is to give as much as you can. Then it becomes a blessing, not a curse.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Good for you. People kill for money.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i think theres more to life than money and clothes

I think that I would add food in there?

I've got some friends that thought as you do when they were young. Now older they don't have many of the comforts of life. Many wish that they would have hit it a little harder and saved for their retirement.

With a decent income retirement is sweet.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Seems Jesus had nothing against money?

If you wish to be poor all your life
no one can or will stop you.

I know many older ones now that never thought highly of money nor saving for their future. Most now wish they would have had a different attitude.

Having some money in retirement is nice
real nice.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not the money that will corrupt you it is if you love the money. That is the problem. In this world money is necessary for life. The Bible is full of men of God who had great wealth yet their heart was centered on God. It also has examples of those who loved their money more than anything else. Anything you love too much is harmful. So, money can corrupt and so can love or works and other things. It is easy to focus on money and many people will teach that it is best to not have wealth at all as it corrupts. But again it is when the money controls you or when it gets between you and God or you and your loved ones that it is an issue. Seek first the kingdom of God and all these other things will be provided for you. Words to live by.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having some money in retirement is nice
real nice.

I once thought like this presumably young man, just guessing. You hear a lot of teaching about wealth and money in the church, most of it negative if you keep it. However I learned that some of the men we consider giants of faith, some in what is sometimes referred to the chapter of heros in Hebrews had great wealth and also hearts given to God. That is the differential. Where is your heart? The story of the stewards teaches us that we should multiply what God provides us, be that wealth or intelligence or whatever talent we have. Then think occasionally, if you do gain even a small amount of wealth, it is all relative anyway, does it control me or does God control me and what do I use it for and do I generously and without concern help those around me who have need when I can. Then you can stay on track.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know many that thanks to their huge bank accounts are able to help a lot of people. They supply jobs for others and spread their monies around.

Their Good Works towards charities shine as a bright star.

Without money one can do neither of the above.

M-Bob

Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know many that thanks to their huge bank accounts are able to help a lot of people. They supply jobs for others and spread their monies around.

Their Good Works towards charities shine as a bright star.

Without money one can do neither of the above.

Amen to that. An older gentleman took the time to point that out to me and sent me searching the scripture to understand many decades ago. I am not a rich person but God has seen fit to bless me through life and through a career and enabled me to be in a place where others can be blessed. I take no credit for it as it is the will of God that works in me to do as He pleases. It is certainly not me but Christ in me. If it were up to me I would not be as charitable. Thankfully He is still at work in me. Blessing my brother.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know many older ones now that never thought highly of money nor saving for their future. Most now wish they would have had a different attitude.

Yeah, I bet it is a popular wish on death bed.

God I wish I had used more hours to work instead being with my family and loved ones or doing things that resonated with my soul.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I bet it is a popular wish on death bed.

God I wish I had used more hours to work instead being with my family and loved ones or doing things that resonated with my soul.

I don't think that is what is meant. There are some who decry any amount of wealth. Wealth is relative you know. For some it is a relatively small amount for others it is much more. The point is there is nothing inherently evil about it, there is if it is your love which will result in what you stated but one can be blessed with a moderate amount of wealth without sacrificing family, God or anything else. I know a few younger people who have been taught that any amount of money brings separation from God and interferes with His work in our life and have left careers for that reason alone, something a pastor said that may have even been taken out of context. Although I have heard some preach vehemently about money right before they went on a ten minute mission to separate the congregations from them. So yes, the love of money is evil and so is sacrificing the ones you love for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i guess i'm just ranting about money but it just seems so corruptible and i think theres more to life than money and clothes

That's understandable to some degree since we know how money drives organized crime and so forth. But, just keep in mind that even for Paul the Apostle (and for Jesus), it is the "love of money" that is the main problem, not merely having some moderate amount of it. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0