• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I don't know what to do

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've always had fatigue due to health issues from premature birth. I also have depression which can cause fatigue, but I am on Wellbutrin for it. Lately, I haven't' been sleeping well. I don't go to bed late. On weekdays I go to bed at 9. But sleep has been hit or miss. Some nights I sleep well, although I never feel rested. Other nights, like last night, I'll come back from going to the bathroom and can't go back to sleep. Sometimes this will last for hours with me not being able to go back to sleep until the wee hours of the morning, if at all.

I am in a program for people with disabilities, and sometimes I call in when I don't feel well enough to go, usually when I wake up and can't go back to sleep. I am considering quitting the program all together, although they assured me that they're happy to have me when I can come.

But this day program is the most interaction I get with people. I can't drive and the bus system is unreliable and difficult to figure out, and I often don't have the energy to trudge to the bus stop. If I quit the alternative would be to stay home all day with my Mom who has depression. And it's just not healthy to spend all one's time around one person.

I am having a meeting with the program's founder on Monday to discuss what can be done. I feel hopeless. I think "if i can't attend for a few hours, then what will the rest of my life be like? I won't be able to hold down even a part time job." I feel like a failure, worthless, like life is passing me by. And I don't sit on my butt and do nothing. I have hobbies that I do when like shooting my bow, writing, reading, or making jewelry, if I am not too tired, but those things don't feel like enough. I am on SSI.

With fatigue some days are worse than others.

I am thinking maybe I have insomnia. I feel angry or irritable most of the time or want to cry a lot, or am too tired to care about much of anything.

Please pray that God shows me, my Mom , and the program founder what to do.

Last edited:

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It sounds like a difficult situation. I also have trouble sleeping, but I probably do not have the stress you have, plus I do get a nap most evenings. There are many suggestions on how to sleep better, some work and some do not. I only tried a sleep medication once 25-30 years ago and did not like the side effects, but I understand that they have made improvements since then. Some people recommend the supplement Melatonin. I have never tried it, but I think my sister said that it did not help her..... I just remember that if I am desperate, I pop a Benadryl, an over-the-counter allergy pill and it almost always knocks me out, but my sister says it would keep her awake. Everyone is different on how we respond to various foods, drinks, meds and supplements.

I will say a prayer for you tonight.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I got kind of dependent on Benadryl for sleeping 15 years ago. At first one pill knocked me out, but after maybe six months, my body adjusted and then I had to take two of them, though I never took both pills at once. Anyway, I finally quit as they dried out my eyes too much and my eyes became extremely light sensitive. Once I started back on the pill for off and on mild allergies, maybe 2-3 years ago, I only take one pill to sleep maybe every 7-10 nights.

Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟21,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you're going to sleep, turn on some white noise.

Just search on youtube or whatever, for rain, sea, snow, beach, jungle, there's too many things to list.

Here's an example of arctic sounds:

Make sure that you give whatever white noise a listen for a bit before using it to go to sleep, to make sure it doesn't irritate you. Some are of poor quality, but I believe the above example is relatively high quality.

Here is one with rain:

But there are many more.

I suggest finding a favorite and sticking with that one, so that your body becomes used to it. But also, perhaps don't use it every night, just have it ready for when you need it.

Praise Yahweh!

Reactions: God is good
Upvote 0

nutsofacto

Supporter
Jan 31, 2018
Las Cruces, New Mexico
✟25,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe you could find relief from a good (hopefully Bible-believing) psychiatrist as you sound like depression and/or anxiety are part of your symptomology. And you sound like a very sharp and talented and gifted person and deserve to get relief from 'those thiings that bind. And I sincerely hope you can find a same-sex friend that is a mature bible-believing Chhristian and a welcoming bible-based church to get really involved in....do these things and you possibility of an entire ne life is VERY, VERY likely!!! GOD BLESS YOU! nutsofacto (doclaire@hotmail.com)

Upvote 0