I don't know anything at this point

oldtimedude

Seeking the Lord for HIs grace
Mar 31, 2017
central Illinois
✟646.00
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if I've ever believed from the heart. I know a lot of theology but I understand that doesn't cut it, and you need a heart change. God says we must be born again by water and his Spirit. I'm not sure I know the Spirit. People say you have to accept Jesus in your heart as your savior, yet the bible says God makes us born again (1 Peter chapter 1), and there's nothing we do because the action of the Spirit is like the wind. And besides, God elects and chooses who he saves.

I have thought for so long I might be a Christian because I study the word of God and I was baptized, and I try not to sin, although I'm lousy at that. But anyway, like I said, I don't know if my heart actually believes, maybe I've been doing this all on my own strength and trying to earn God's favor by trying to be good. I really question whether I'm saved or not.

I have asked so many times for a heart change, for God to save me, but what if there is a wall up and he won't hear me? I have sin in my life, but doesn't everyone struggle with sin? I even talk to God and tell him about my sins, although I don't know if I'm motivated by fear or love.

Bottom line, I don't know if I died today, whether I'd be judged or whether I'd be saved in grace. I really don't know. I'm actually getting upset and mad at God for not clearing my spiritual sight and spiritual ears. I am very mad, because he knows how hard of a life I've had, and I although I realize my behaviors bring condemnation, I also know I struggle to perceive reality. I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, and I don't know how much that has played a part in my thought process and my heart attitude.

I'm in a real trap, a mental block of sorts. Jesus celebrated the fact that the Father reveals his kingdom to people with child-like faith and hides it from the wise and prudent. I think a person can have mental blocks.

I've struggled with sexual sin for most my life. It feels like I've been putting the effort to flee sexual sin all on my own. Again, I don't know if my heart has been changed and been given the Holy Spirit, so I could be struggling with this all by myself.

Does any of this sound familiar to any of you, or does anyone have any advice for me?

• Prayers
Reactions: CodyFaith

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I often doubt my salvation as well but am slowly coming out of it, thanks to God. There is hope, there is a light.

It takes time... it doesn't come overnight. Ask God to reveal it to you if you're saved or not. Pray, pray, pray - seek, seek, seek. Remember that scripture says those who diligently seek the God of Israel will be rewarded (Hebrews 11:6). It may (and most likely is, but we never can tell these things for a fact) be that you already have found him and are just struggling, in which case still seek him and seek something you can hold on to (like I'm sure you have been doing already).

You're not alone... sooo many people doubt their salvation - people who truly seek Christ with all their hearts and demonstrate as such, plenty on this forum openly and plenty not on this forum who struggle silently.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi Oldtimedude & welcome to CF!

And besides, God elects and chooses who he saves.

Sounds like you've been listening to a 5 point Calvinist. Their theology is wrong, you do have a choice. For a clear explanation of this, click here~~~> https://d3uet6ae1sqvww.cloudfront.n...ds-choice-or-ours-predestination-election.pdf

I have thought for so long I might be a Christian because I study the word of God and I was baptized, and I try not to sin, although I'm lousy at that. But anyway, like I said, I don't know if my heart actually believes, maybe I've been doing this all on my own strength and trying to earn God's favor by trying to be good. I really question whether I'm saved or not.

In Mark 1:15, how did Jesus say we are saved? "Repent and believe the gospel." Concerning the initial step of salvation, to repent is to change your mind about Jesus. And the gospel, believe that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried and rose from the dead.

22)We are made right in God’s sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in the same way, no matter who we are or what we have done. 25) For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God’s anger (wrath) against us. We are made right with God when we believe that Jesus shed His blood, sacrificing His Life for us. (Romans 3:22, 25)

9) For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10) For it is believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. (Romans 10:9-10)
Then after that, you've got to trust Jesus to do what He said He will do. I used to have problems with this, not sure of my salvation, praying to be saved, over and over, until my pastor preached on this saying, you've done what the Bible says to do, now you've got to trust Jesus to do what He said He will do. I've never doubted since.

Reactions: CodyFaith
Upvote 0

oldtimedude

Seeking the Lord for HIs grace
Mar 31, 2017
central Illinois
✟646.00
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate your responses. Today I felt all alone for a while, telling God that it's been too hard to believe in him and I would rather quit seeking him altogether because I'm hurt and he's not helping me believe. But I made a choice to have hope and continue down the road of faith, despite these challenges. It made me vulnerable but I believe in Jesus still. I will continue to carry my cross and seek to follow him.

I believe I've been in a desert land, and God is testing my faith like he tested the Hebrew people in the wilderness desert, and like he tested Jesus in the desert for 40 days/nights. I have made provisions for the flesh, jumped off of the pinnacle, and bowed to Satan during some of my desert testing. I didn't do as well as Jesus did. But like the Hebrew people looked on the serpent that was lifted up, I can always look up to my Savior at the cross.

Upvote 0