I don't know anything about my faith-help

StrugglingWithLife

Jun 19, 2015
✟11,465.00
I have a hard time understanding anything about what Christianity is. I have so many questions: how do I rid myself of all the "garbage" that turned me away from Jesus in the first place, how do I make new amends with him, et cetera. Are all the answers I need written in the bible and only the bible? What do I need to seek being closer to him?

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a hard time understanding anything about what Christianity is. I have so many questions: how do I rid myself of all the "garbage" that turned me away from Jesus in the first place, how do I make new amends with him, et cetera. Are all the answers I need written in the bible and only the bible? What do I need to seek being closer to him?

Hello SWL,

I'd say that the first step in coming to grips with Christianity is to see it not so much as a challenge in your life (although it can be that to some extent), but to see it mainly as an exploration into the existence in which God has placed you by His Spirit, with a focus on Jesus as your "go to."

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is a really good step to recognize such need and begin seeking answers and hope. God cares much as He said in John 3:16 (and one should see all of the Gospel of John in a sound Bible ---I much recommend the venerable KJV Bible. There is a sound web site at www.biblecounsel.net, where one can read Bible ministry each month and ask questions. It seeks to show what God intends for His testimony in the world, and it holds to Bible-only. Any spiritual matters can be explained if one is a sincere seeker. Look up always, for God cares always!

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Want to grow closer to Jesus? My best suggestion is to read the first four books of the New Testament in the Bible. They are Matthew, Mark, Luke & John. I'd recommend starting with John, then Matthew, Mark & Luke. These 4 books tell of the life, ministry, death & resurrection of Jesus. You can start reading right here~~~> Bible Gateway passage: John 1 - New King James Version

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What do I need to seek being closer to him?
Ask Him the same question. Sounds like you are on the right track already. Just try to maintain that momentum. None of us are perfect so don't feel you have to be either.

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The second thing I'd recommend is to clearly identify the way in which it is that you feel you struggle with the "garbage" that turned you away from Jesus.

Thirdly, if and when you come to Christ, you make "amends" by learning to obey and appreciate God's Will.

Fourth, you should expect that the Bible wasn't given so that you might "solve" your problems in life, but rather so you would learn to recognize the right way in which to live your life. So, you should expect to find some directives and meanings in the Bible that will bring some clarification to what it is to live in the Will of Jesus as your Lord and Savior. But, acquiring practical answers for some things will have to come from outside of the Bible.

Fifth, to begin to get closer to God, you'll need to understand what prayer is for, what the Bible is for, and what fellowship with other Christians is for.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Open your Bible to John 14:6. Next, John 3:16-17. Next, John 3:35-36. Then John 5:24. Now flip over to Ephesians 2:8-9. Turn back to Romans 8:1.

You've just completed Christianity 101. Those references are promises. Ready? Ready? Turn to Romans 10:8-13. Thereafter, REJOICE!

Find a simple, straight-forward assembly of people who have already done that. Drop in on their fellowship. Visit with their Pastor. Go to their meetings each Sunday morning. Check out the Bible study options available there during the week.

Be blessed as you seek Him. He is already seeking you.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to think that the Bible could solve our secular problems as well. Not really eh.

Probably not, at least as far as it depends on us anyway (hint, hint). ;)

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the bible can be your gretest enemy or your best friend, it all depends on your mindset. There are some very horrible people in the world that do their actions because they act from their bible....

If you can have as your foundation what the bible starts out with, that God is omnipresent and is the source and upholder of all things and in him we therefor all live, and never stray from this basic truth, then you will realize that what we call evil and temptations and sin, doesnt actually come from him, it only exist in a realm we have fallen into because of making us dependant on the tree of knowledge, which means we take it all into our own hands and judge good and evil as if we were god. This kind of lifestykle and mindset is where death comes from, death here includes all sin, suffering and curses and also physical death. Its "deaths" in plurarl in the hebrew. That means its simple. its either eating of that tree, or eating of the tree of life. Two trees, one choise, life or death. its NOT about fighting sins in our ilfe and trying to overcome all kinds of temptations. Thats legalism, which is nothing more than just keeping eating from taht ree of knowledge of goodf vs evil. Paul literally says that the law is the power of sin and death,. So lets stop going there, Every timne i see something evil and tries to overcome it etc, im actually living by the law, becaue im trying to change to get the blessing. God said it doesnt work that way, it is finished by the gospel, all we have to do is to go out of the law all togheter and start living with a clear mind that only receives the omnipresent presence of this good god. The fallen world is only existing to us because we keep it alive by our eating of the tree. Christians will not accept this, but this is the teaching of the bible It would stop existing if we stopped eating of that tree.
What jesus say is that, this is where death and suffering comes from. Thats why god told adam not to eath of taht tre (its a metaphorical tree) Jesus coems and tells us to change back, not to go fater our thinking reasoning judgning opinion lead lifestyle, but instead receive the faith and consiounsess that the omnipresent good god is rigth there within us, in fact IS the very life of our being. THIS is what seperates a sinner from a rigthoues.

ALl the things we call sin and temptations are merely fruits on a tree. You can pick them forever, they will always come back. Repentance is laying the axe at the root, which is changing the mind all together. Its called repentance. "repent for the kingdom is here" is the gospel. its all VERY simple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I used to think that the Bible could solve our secular problems as well. Not really eh.
well its true in the sense that the bible isnt about hwo to solve every problem, since every problem ultimatly has only one root, and its about how to cut ourself off from that root.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
since every problem ultimatly has only one root, and its about how to cut ourself off from that root.
probably need more clarification.
some problems might include:
-lack of career success
-lack of confidence
-not enjoying others company
-lack of political awareness to survive in the workplace
(sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack)

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
probably need more clarification.
some problems might include:
-lack of career success
-lack of confidence
-not enjoying others company
-lack of political awareness to survive in the workplace
(sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack)
yeah i totally agree. Lets take an example. Some ppl struggle in their marriage, some well meaning pastors or leaders arrange marriage semniars where they teach from the bible on how to have a great marriage, They use the well known verses where jesus or the letters mentiones anything about marriage. Still the church in many cases have more divorces than in non belivieving circles! So it obvisouly dont work.

So all im saying these verses isnt even about how to save a marraige, or your finances or anything like that, its about how to go from earthly to spiritual living, its about how to repent in order to enter the kingdom of god. But, THEN i would say that a bonus from seeking the kingdom first instead of trying to find solutino to all our problems in the bible will still end up finding a solution to all our problems anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
But, THEN i would say that a bonus from seeking the kingdom first instead of trying to find solutino to all our problems in the bible will still end up finding a solution to all our problems anyway.
:)
That is good news indeed!

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
how do I make new amends with him, ?

There is onyl one way, he finished the work, he died for us, he doesnt hold us or the world accountable for the sins. Its literally written in the bible. Do we accept this, then thats how we make amend. Its not something we can add to his perfect work for our salvation, h did it all. We accept it or we dont. Dont we accept it, then we are not believers. And if we are non belivers, then as nonbelivers we can of course not excpect God to do anything, i mean if i dont believe im a sinner, then why would i believe in jesus who died for my sins? If i dont believe in god then why would i try to amend myself for him? So now we know that anyone who ask the question you ask is already a beleiver in god and all you do then is to accept that you are a beliver. You wouldnt even ask these questions unless you arelady had the tug on your hearth and already belived that god is (as the bible says anyone who coems to him must believe that god is, hebres 11:6 ) It really is that simple. Youre job isnt to find out how to amend yourself, its been done, your job is to jsut accept it as a fact. It all works by faith. grace works by faith, as paul says in ef 2.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
3 Jesus answered and said to him: Amen, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith to him: How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born again?
5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh: and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Wonder not that I said to thee: You must be born again.
8 The Spirit breathes where he will and thou hear his voice: but thou know not whence he comes and whither he goes.
So is every one that is born of the Spirit.
John 3:3-8

Start by reading the gospel of John, which explains that believers would receive the indwelling Holy Spirit - the Spirit of truth.
Jesus and the Father residing in you, teaching you, leading you, empowering you.
You cannot get any closer than by having God within you; experiencing God.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said to them, Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ to remission of sins,
and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Act 2:39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all those afar off, as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:38-39
You will speak (or rather pray) in 'tongues' - a spiritual language belonging to God and the angels. You will pray with power
and conviction, and thereby enjoy many miracles and healings, and increase your faith and joy.

20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
21 keep yourselves in the love of God, eagerly awaiting the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to everlasting life.
Jude 1:20-21

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are dealing with Almighty God who became man, lived amongst us, lived and suffered and died for our sins taking our punishment upon Himself; rising from the dead, interceding for us from where He will return for us.
The Bible centers on a Person, called Jesus willing to forgive you and make you His Child.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do I rid myself of all the "garbage" that turned me away from Jesus in the first place

Essentially through what scripture calls "the renewing of the mind" (Romans 12:1-2). Technically, this had to do with humbling yourself so as not to think you alone were God's gift to humanity, but instead recognizing yourself as only one of the many members in the body of Christ, and hence only one of the many sources through whom He could reveal wisdom (Romans 12:3-7). But this principle of renewing the mind also applied in general to simply relearning everything anew. If you start praying to the Holy Spirit to become your Teacher and reveal to you His word, He will begin doing so, and slowly the old thoughts in your head and your old ways of thinking begin to be replaced by new thoughts, new perspectives and new insights.
How do I make new amends with him, et cetera

Piece of cake. Pray, "Lord, I'm very sorry for not giving my heart and mind to You in the past. Please forgive me, and help me to come into a closer relationship with You now than ever before in my life."

If you feel maybe the first time didn't "take," then just pray it again, and as many times as necessary until you begin to feel a peace in your heart that you finally know He is hearing your prayer, and has accepted it.
Are all the answers I need written in the bible and only the bible?

No, actually. I sometimes say things that get me in hot water with other believers, but I have a responsibility before God to answer truthfully, regardless of whether it "sounds" right or not. The Bible is your primary source document against which everything else is to be measured. However, there are numerous passages in scripture that simply cannot be made sense of without consulting other extra-Biblical material. I won't site examples unless someone forces me to, but trust me, there are a bunch of cases of this. Again, you pray to God that He begins teaching you through the Holy Spirit. When you do this, He will lead you to all the answers, even if they have to come through extra-Biblical sources sometimes.

The help of the Holy Spirit, attained through prayers asking for His grace.

Upvote 0

No.5

Mar 16, 2017
Malaysia
✟19,116.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Hi StrugglingWithLife,

Try breaking down the challenge of understanding Christianity into smaller chunks, one question at a time. Start with the basics of Christianity, e.g. what was God doing on the cross. The bible is a definite must-read and I'd recommend reading bible commentaries and apologetics resources to help you better understand the bible.

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the complete revelation of God. In other words, we had a partial revelation before Jesus came. Jesus said that he does only what he sees the Father doing. Meaning, Jesus is what God looks like. Jesus allowed his enemies to torture and kill him, and as he was dying on the cross, he asked God to forgive his murderers. THAT is what God looks like. Jesus shows us what God love looks like -- it looks like "enemy love." Now, although we would do well to imitate Jesus (God), it's not like God expects us to muster up enough courage and love to die for our enemies. Maybe our loved one, but an enemy? Although, that would be amazing if we all could. I mean, that kind of love would change the world. I guess my point is, Christianity is about growth. It's waking up every day seeking to be more like Jesus. But when we fail, which will be often, God continues to love us with a love that never gives up. NEVER. You will have doubts (which is what faith is...if you're certain then you don't need faith). You will make mistakes. You will even do mean and nasty things sometimes. And God will love you anyway. It's not like he'll be happy that you do something unkind because God knows that it doesn't only hurt *others* when you do that; it hurts YOU and your transformation into the beautiful human being that God is guiding you into being. I'm rambling! Just know that even if you don't believe in God. He believes in you. Even if you hate God. He loves you. Even if you give up on God. He'll never give up on you.

Upvote 0