TheYearOftheLady

Sweets :)
Apr 10, 2014
New York
✟7,633.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm a born again Christian. c: Please to meet you guys. ^^

My relationship with God when I became a born again, it was like a kid in the candy store or looking at the candy store from outside...I had an emotional high. Not too long ago did this emotional high just went away...and I don't understand what is going on. I really don't. I just don't feel God like I used to. The relationship with Him used to be like I'm warped up in blanket of love and warmth and such, however like I said earlier...not feeling anymore, this all started to happen last week Monday by the way, thought the feeling would die out.

+ I had a dream and my boyfriend tells me perhaps God is trying to tell me something.

I had a dream that I was going home from somewhere and I came to a bridge, the bridge is well kept, something was telling me to not worry, that I will be fine, don't bother looking down, just look ahead of how, however in my dream, I looked down and it's like I saw something I didn't like and flee from the area and took a different route, however on this route, someone ran pass me on fire and screaming in agony, trying to get the flames off.

I don't know what is going on, I just don't feel God anymore and even worst, I don't even feel like praying anymore and God just seems to not be there anymore, the feeling of Him is just gone and I don't like it because this never happened to me until now. :( :confused:

Did anyone ever went through this and what happened when you did?

C

Chickadee3

Every new relationship (with God included) has an intense honeymoon period marked by emotional highs. It's new, and exhilarating. However, just as you don't leave a spouse or a boyfriend because those emotions settle into something less intense, don't abandon God simply because it doesn't feel as strong. He's still there, and our trust in Him can't be measured by fallible human emotions. Every Christian goes through those peaks and valleys of feeling, but they do not correspond to Christ's steady commitment to us. It remains, and we need to keep going on our end even if it's not immediately felt.

Upvote 0
C

catholichomeschooler

I'm a born again Christian. c: Please to meet you guys. ^^

My relationship with God when I became a born again, it was like a kid in the candy store or looking at the candy store from outside...I had an emotional high. Not too long ago did this emotional high just went away...and I don't understand what is going on. I really don't. I just don't feel God like I used to. The relationship with Him used to be like I'm warped up in blanket of love and warmth and such, however like I said earlier...not feeling anymore, this all started to happen last week Monday by the way, thought the feeling would die out.

+ I had a dream and my boyfriend tells me perhaps God is trying to tell me something.

I had a dream that I was going home from somewhere and I came to a bridge, the bridge is well kept, something was telling me to not worry, that I will be fine, don't bother looking down, just look ahead of how, however in my dream, I looked down and it's like I saw something I didn't like and flee from the area and took a different route, however on this route, someone ran pass me on fire and screaming in agony, trying to get the flames off.

I don't know what is going on, I just don't feel God anymore and even worst, I don't even feel like praying anymore and God just seems to not be there anymore, the feeling of Him is just gone and I don't like it because this never happened to me until now. :( :confused:

Did anyone ever went through this and what happened when you did?

This might help. It is challenging but well worth it!!

Dark Night of the Soul (Dover Thrift Editions): St. John of the Cross: 9780486426938: Amazon.com: Books

Upvote 0

TheImmortalJellyfish

Unnaturally elected...
Oct 20, 2014
✟8,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Honey, I wouldn't give up on God just yet. You are born again and saved, so no matter what you decide, you will not lose your salvation. That is God's promise. You are still growing, and there is much to learn. Take heed to your Bible doctrine, and use what you learn in your daily life. Don't let others try to steer you away from your love for God. If you have questions, I would encourage you to ask your pastor-teacher, and if he cannot answer them, it may be time to start finding one who can. I can help if you need. :)

Upvote 0

softspokenLamb

Jesus Forgives, Forgave, and will Forgive.
Apr 3, 2015
✟7,665.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
God is always present, whether we feel Him there or not, or, for some, whether we want Him there or not.
While this is true, sin is still rampant in the world. We won't always feel good about ourselves, and we won't always feel good in the presence of God, or thinking about God. Satan strikes right as we feel we are safe, planting doubts when things get strange or difficult. It's important to always take whatever we feel to God, because He is always listening.
About your dream: while it does have a lot of parallels with stories and teachings from the Bible (The story of Peter and Jesus on the Sea of Galilee, the lesson in Matthew 7:13-14, and others), I wouldn't place too much importance on it. While God has used dreams as means of forwarding His Word, we shouldn't base our faith on what dreams tell us. Rational thought and a thorough understanding of God's Word take precedence.
Finally, take heart. Jesus loves you too much to let you go, as long as you continue to lay your faith in Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You won't always feel his presence. God is who is he is, regardless of your feelings. If you have been born again, you are still his daughter, regardless of your feelings.

Every new relationship (with God included) has an intense honeymoon period marked by emotional highs. It's new, and exhilarating. However, just as you don't leave a spouse or a boyfriend because those emotions settle into something less intense, don't abandon God simply because it doesn't feel as strong. He's still there, and our trust in Him can't be measured by fallible human emotions. Every Christian goes through those peaks and valleys of feeling, but they do not correspond to Christ's steady commitment to us. It remains, and we need to keep going on our end even if it's not immediately felt.

Honey, I wouldn't give up on God just yet. You are born again and saved, so no matter what you decide, you will not lose your salvation. That is God's promise. You are still growing, and there is much to learn. Take heed to your Bible doctrine, and use what you learn in your daily life. Don't let others try to steer you away from your love for God. If you have questions, I would encourage you to ask your pastor-teacher, and if he cannot answer them, it may be time to start finding one who can. I can help if you need. :)

God is always present, whether we feel Him there or not, or, for some, whether we want Him there or not.
While this is true, sin is still rampant in the world. We won't always feel good about ourselves, and we won't always feel good in the presence of God, or thinking about God. Satan strikes right as we feel we are safe, planting doubts when things get strange or difficult. It's important to always take whatever we feel to God, because He is always listening.
About your dream: while it does have a lot of parallels with stories and teachings from the Bible (The story of Peter and Jesus on the Sea of Galilee, the lesson in Matthew 7:13-14, and others), I wouldn't place too much importance on it. While God has used dreams as means of forwarding His Word, we shouldn't base our faith on what dreams tell us. Rational thought and a thorough understanding of God's Word take precedence.
Finally, take heart. Jesus loves you too much to let you go, as long as you continue to lay your faith in Him.

I agree with all of the above.

As to your dream trying to tell you something... it might be or it might not be. But here's something I notice in that dream. You mentioned on one path there was a reassurance "don't look down" and "everything will be fine just keep going" and when you did differently is when things got scary and you found yourself on a different path altogether.

My favorite hobby is rock climbing and God speaks to me using rock climbing metaphors. So I'm going to try to explain what I see in a metaphor. When you are up high, the typical advice is "don't look down." Why? Because when you look down you see how far away you are from the ground and you start to fear what might happen to you if you were to fall. When I teach people to rock climb for the very first time, I often go above them and encourage them from the top of the cliff. That way, they never have to look down to get reassurance or advice. I tell them to focus on me and on where they're going, rather than looking down and getting scared. As long as they are focused on me and on the task at hand they're okay and they make progress. As soon as they look down, they become paralyzed by fear (often, not always).

So, in your dream... when you hear assurance "don't look down" "keep going" "everything will be fine" I think of it as you're meant to be going ahead - keeping your eyes on Jesus and having faith in His promises. When you look down, you are distracted - you're no longer focused on Jesus - and you get scared of what might happen to you if you were to "fall" (meaning fall into sin or lose salvation or something like that). If it is meant to teach you something, maybe it's to keep your focus on Jesus and what He calls you to and don't be afraid of falling. Whether your emotions are high or low on any given day or year or whatever... it doesn't matter. Just focus on Jesus and keep walking in His way... keep following His footsteps... keep listening for His voice. Don't look down. Keep moving forward. Jesus has you in His arms - you are His child - and everything will be alright.

Hebrews 12:2 "looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." (ESV)

1 John 4:18 " There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love." (ESV)

Upvote 0
I heard the same story like yours from different people, saying they felt really good their first moments with God and then not so good afterwards. I think I can relate a lot, because I felt very good when I first became a real Christian, and not so good afterwards. But my feeling good was during times that I was taking some mental medication (that I found out later I completely didn't need), so it might have been because of medication.

Anyway, a well-known pastor that I looked up to said that those who do this, feel good during their early times with God and lose that feeling, are often those who develop opinions about their Christian faith that divide themselves from churches, and this divisive spirit takes away their joy. On the other hand, he says it's a very common behavior in new believers.

In my own knowledge, Jesus' words come to mind: "The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy, but since they have no root, they last only a short time (Matthew 13:20)." The seed Jesus is talking about here is the good news, which is sown in new believers, who often take it with joy at first before losing that joy to some factor in life. So you are definitely not lonely in what you experience as a believer.

Interestingly, a place in Song of Songs, if one interprets the book to be about the believer-God relationship, speaks about a period of loneliness (so not all our relationship with God is marked by closeness or pure joy).

You might want to consider these into your question about your faith. Or it all could just be you are really stressed, like much of the world is, and you need to lighten up and stay happy :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0