Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have come to the realization that I have become so jaded I am constantly questioning EVERYTHING that a guy says to me. Words are only words after all...

Do you readily believe what people say? Do you trust easily? Or has the society we live in caused us to become constant skeptics?

Spicy McHaggis

I don't know nothin 'bout birthin no babies
Apr 30, 2002
Chicagoland
✟29,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm in the same boat with chicks.

But, I think I work myself into a place where the potential lies aren't going to affect me, as opposed to questioning and wondering.

that way, it doesn't matter what they do because I've hedged my bet.

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Princess - Just a Little Girl
Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm in the same boat with chicks.

But, I think I work myself into a place where the potential lies aren't going to affect me, as opposed to questioning and wondering.

that way, it doesn't matter what they do because I've hedged my bet.
But that's just it... now you are living with a safety net.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I take my time getting to know a guy so that I hopefully don't get surprised by anything he might do/say. Which is why I still can't figure out how my ex hoodwinked me. :doh: I have found that a person's actions and their words will match - for better or for worse - if they are forthright about who they are.

I find myself studying my dates when they're talking/doing something to see if they seem genuine. If they do, then I feel more comfortable putting myself out there. If they don't, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but have no one to blame but myself if they end up disappointing me.

Upvote 0

justaGUYnamedROB

If anything could ever be this good again...
Jun 8, 2007
✟10,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have come to the realization that I have become so jaded I am constantly questioning EVERYTHING that a guy says to me. Words are only words after all...

Do you readily believe what people say? Do you trust easily? Or has the society we live in caused us to become constant skeptics?

What's that added skepticism doing for you?

Upvote 0

graceymay

Laughter is timeless
Mar 15, 2008
U.S.
✟8,493.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think I am like that. I don't usually make a habit of trusting any guy right off the bat. They have lied to me before so I guess I think they could be now. The more though I get to know them, I can tell if they are for real or not. When I make friends with girls I usually don't have this problem; it's mainly with guys.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single

You know the guys that say 'I care about you' to a girl to get into her pants?

Well, I've learned that girls do the same thing.

Do I believe what people say? Not really.

Upvote 0

justaGUYnamedROB

If anything could ever be this good again...
Jun 8, 2007
✟10,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Protection?

skep·ti·cism
n. 1. A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind; dubiety.
2. Philosophy a. The ancient school of Pyrrho of Elis that stressed the uncertainty of our beliefs in order to oppose dogmatism.
b. The doctrine that absolute knowledge is impossible, either in a particular domain or in general.
c. A methodology based on an assumption of doubt with the aim of acquiring approximate or relative certainty.

Skepticism starts with doubt. (We may as well say fear, because that's the root cause here.)

Isaiah 41: 10 said:
Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice.
2 Timothy 1: 7 said:
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.
Hebrews 13: 6 said:
So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?

Do you notice the trend here?

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You know, gottabe...Rob has a point. If you're typically skeptical of the guys you're dating - chances are good you're typically picking the wrong guys to date. At least, that is what I've found to be true for me. However, picking the right kinds of guys to date doesn't necessarily translate to them being the "right" right guy for you - so don't get disheartened by not finding the right guy right away.

(Do I win a prize for using the word right so many times? :p)

Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I know... it's a problem. I was not saying I was proud of my skepticism by any means!

I would LOVE to not be afraid and give someone a real chance for once.

"Ok, Heart, don't be scared anymore! You should learn to trust people!"
^_^ Ok, I am good now.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Protection?

You can protect yourself without being completly untrusting.

For example. . . I belive no one here would steal my identity if they had the opprotunity. I trust that.

But I don't post my social security number. They don't need to know.

Also if guys are saying something to you and you don't trust it, then you my instictually be correct. I've met way too many guys who have the most far flung ridiculous stories. Such as the auto-mechanic that makes 80,000 a year but lives with his dad.

Of course there was a girl there and she was nieve.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thomas1984

*Expect the Unexpected*
Jun 6, 2006
✟19,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I typically take words at face value until that person gives me a reason not to do so....

"fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Coach

Same here, I like to give the benefit of the doubt to people I meet, and to those I build friendships with, whilst keeping a reasonable amount of guard up. That is, to say, I don't blurt out everything about me in one go, but I am honest about what I share.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I know... it's a problem. I was not saying I was proud of my skepticism by any means!

I would LOVE to not be afraid and give someone a real chance for once.

"Ok, Heart, don't be scared anymore! You should learn to trust people!"
^_^ Ok, I am good now.
I think that's why Rob shared those verses with you. :) If you are afraid, then you are not trusting God with the matter. If there is someone you like, pray over that person. I do it. It doesn't have to be complex. Something as simple as: God, if this guy is the one for me, then reveal it to me. If he's not, then show me that and protect me from getting hurt.

That was a nice little life lesson that came along with divorce. Try to learn it without having to experience divorce. lol

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think that's why Rob shared those verses with you. :) If you are afraid, then you are not trusting God with the matter. If there is someone you like, pray over that person. I do it. It doesn't have to be complex. Something as simple as: God, if this guy is the one for me, then reveal it to me. If he's not, then show me that and protect me from getting hurt.

That was a nice little life lesson that came along with divorce. Try to learn it without having to experience divorce. lol

That is good advice. I prayed a similar prayer not too long ago and God did show me that a certain person was not any good for me. That hurt for a bit after breaking it off, but ultimately I am thankful that He showed me the truth about the guy.

Reactions: ido
Upvote 0

gottabemore2life

Nov 8, 2007
Home
✟9,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I think it comes back to not holding past relationships against new prospects. I have become a Grade-A Hypocrite.

Upvote 0

Balugon

o( ' . ' )o
Jul 18, 2005
The Looking Glass
✟32,114.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
it wouldnt surprise me if overall girls trusted guys less, a typical guy is well.... more visually attracted and therefore his hormone brain overrides common sense and manipulation and those "why in the world did i say that?" moments come out.

As for me, as far as dating trusting, i believe what they tell me if it seems true, but i keep an eye on them and try to make sure to go at things from an analytical standpoint. i try to keep my head on and give a lot of thought to situations. The last mistake i need is one that will be stuck by my side for over 50 years.

As for the world in general, as far as beliefs and extravagant news and stuff like that, no. Weight loss ideas, no. Things they may say are fun or "safe" when they are questionable, usually not. Im pretty cautious about stuff people say to me; the devil can get even the closest of friends to make mistakes sometimes.

Upvote 0