✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would our sun lose its gravity?

As it evolves towards red giant phase the solar wind is expected to be much more significant (partly because the edge of the sun is so much further from it's center of gravity), so that mass loss will be greatly increased, meaning less gravity on the planets, so that they move away.

Here's an article that hits a few bases (though in a popular science level, it's expert researchers actually writing it).

"When the Sun reaches this late stage in its stellar evolution, it will lose a tremendous amount of mass through powerful stellar winds. Basically, as it grows, it loses mass, causing the planets to spiral outwards. So the question is, will the expanding Sun overtake the planets spiraling outwards, or will Earth (and maybe even Venus) escape its grasp?"
Will Earth Survive When the Sun Becomes a Red Giant? - Universe Today

That question is an open question last I read, about whether the mass loss of the sun would be enough to allow Earth to get far enough away not to be swallowed. It's all just a fun intellectual exercise though, believers understand. We are here because God intends for us to be. Our end won't be in a runaway greenhouse effect...nor of course a red giant swallowing the cinder Earth, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Their vocabulary was different. They did not mean planet and Universe, they meant land and sky.
Yup, and that means...well, the Earth and all we can see above at night. :D I love modern telescopes

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟372,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Realistically, it will take 4-5 billion years for the sun to become a red giant. It's extraordinarily unlikely that human life will still exist on the Earth. Judging by he fossil record, all life forms eventually go extinct. IIRC, sponges are the the oldest living multicellular animal species. And they've only been here for 600 million years or so. It's a virtual certainty that an asteroid, or some other cosmic catastrophe will get us before the Sun expands. So if Homo sapiens hasn't gone extinct in 4 billion years, it's because we've developed the technology to leave this planet.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Realistically, it will take 4-5 billion years for the sun to become a red giant. It's extraordinarily unlikely that human life will still exist on the Earth. Judging by he fossil record, all life forms eventually go extinct. IIRC, sponges are the the oldest living multicellular animal species. And they've only been here for 600 million years or so. It's a virtual certainty that an asteroid, or some other cosmic catastrophe will get us before the Sun expands. So if Homo sapiens hasn't gone extinct in 4 billion years, it's because we've developed the technology to leave this planet.
I'd agree those natural events would make Earth uninhabitable much sooner, unless prevented -- we could eventually deflect asteroids, etc.

But the natural evolution of the sun already understood to heat Earth enough to make Earth deadly to life as we know it now within 1 billion years is a pretty hard limit. What conceivable tech could change that rather sooner evolution of the sun?

The far later red giant phase is only a fun intellectual exercise, as no worthwhile living conditions would persist past 1 billion years unless we could move the planet outward.

But other major events will come far sooner than that, and I think sooner than even just a thousand years also.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟730,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello again, you know they say the earth will be swallowed by our sun one day, but when the sun gets bigger and less dense, our planet will be driven away from it not into it, they miscalculate the gravitation effect like they do with dark materie, they made up dark materie to fill in the gaps in their theory but it have never existed in the first place, and since we are moving very fast in space our planet will enter orbit around another sun one day, so life here on our planet is infinite should be because of this, because when enough energy and materie has entered a black hole it becomes a new sun again and that it how it goes, so life won`t end here on our planet, does god say anything about here on our planet being forever by the way?

I see no reason to doubt the scientific consensus. Without any intervening events if things continue as they are eventually the sun will exhaust its hydrogen reserves and eventually swell up to very likely engulf the earth. That will not happen for about another five billion years, however. That said, the earth will have become completely uninhabitable long before that point. By the time the sun reaches that point all life on the planet will have gone extinct. As by about a billion years from now the energy output of the sun would have reached a point where it would be scorching the planet, the oceans will have dried up, and life would not be able to survive on the surface.

That's if things continue as they are.

As a Christian I believe in God's intervention in the universe, relevant here is the Eschaton--the conclusion of history at Christ's return, the resurrection of the dead, and the renewal of all creation.

Yes, the earth and life on earth will be forever in the Age to Come, as there will be no death and suffering. The Christian hope is not to live as a ghost up in some place called "heaven" for eternity, but is in future resurrection of the body, and everlasting life on earth as God has made all things new. In this way God dwells with His people, and they with Him, forever.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Infinitas1985

May 29, 2019
Lena
✟8,163.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I see no reason to doubt the scientific consensus. Without any intervening events if things continue as they are eventually the sun will exhaust its hydrogen reserves and eventually swell up to very likely engulf the earth. That will not happen for about another five billion years, however. That said, the earth will have become completely uninhabitable long before that point. By the time the sun reaches that point all life on the planet will have gone extinct. As by about a billion years from now the energy output of the sun would have reached a point where it would be scorching the planet, the oceans will have dried up, and life would not be able to survive on the surface.

That's if things continue as they are.

As a Christian I believe in God's intervention in the universe, relevant here is the Eschaton--the conclusion of history at Christ's return, the resurrection of the dead, and the renewal of all creation.

Yes, the earth and life on earth will be forever in the Age to Come, as there will be no death and suffering. The Christian hope is not to live as a ghost up in some place called "heaven" for eternity, but is in future resurrection of the body, and everlasting life on earth as God has made all things new. In this way God dwells with His people, and they with Him, forever.

-CryptoLutheran

I think he`s right, the sun will lose its gravitational pull firstly not swallow the planet near it

Reactions: Temirlan
Upvote 0

Temirlan

Jun 28, 2019
Almaty
✟5,058.00
Country
Kazakhstan
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hello again, you know they say the earth will be swallowed by our sun one day, but when the sun gets bigger and less dense, our planet will be driven away from it not into it, they miscalculate the gravitation effect like they do with dark materie, they made up dark materie to fill in the gaps in their theory but it have never existed in the first place, and since we are moving very fast in space our planet will enter orbit around another sun one day, so life here on our planet is infinite should be because of this, because when enough energy and materie has entered a black hole it becomes a new sun again and that it how it goes, so life won`t end here on our planet, does god say anything about here on our planet being forever by the way?

Well, God can pretty much dissolve all matter into non-existance if he so wishes.

Upvote 0