United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you feel about people who you’ve never spoken to in class trying to add you on social media just so they can ask you for notes?

Someone has done this with me and even sending me a message saying “hello how are you?”. I never speak to them so what’s going to happen is I get roped in to replying to them and then they ask me for my notes.
I hate this and do not want to share my notes with people.

How do I get out of this situation?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How about replying to the initial contact with something that sounds pleasant but unspecific. But then if the incoming messages continue, just stop replying.

That way you won't look hostile from the start and the end of the exchanges won't seem to him to have an obvious explanation.

If the guy ever speaks to you in person later on and it comes up, you can just say you got too busy or don't keep your notes indefinitely or whatever. If you're lucky, he'd have found someone else by then.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How about replying to the initial contact with something that sounds pleasant but unspecific. But then if the incoming messages continue, just stop replying.

That way you won't look hostile from the start and the end of the exchanges won't seem to him to have an obvious explanation.

If the guy ever speaks to you in person later on and it comes up, you can just say you got too busy or don't keep your notes indefinitely or whatever. If you're lucky, he'd have found someone else by then.
Everyone knows I do my notes electronically

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If they're registered in the class, you have no real choice but to give them notes if you generally give it to class members.

If they're not in the class it's totally up to you, and might depend upon who they are. At least at my institution, the content of a course is the intellectual property of the instructor, for actual faculty. For instructors it's possible that it could be work for hire, and thus the institution's property.

Institutions may, of course, have different policies. E.g. some major institutions have decided to make all or some of their courses public.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Okay. I'm just suggesting that at that point you can use whatever excuse you think best and your earlier reply to his contact by social media will buffer the problem. With luck you won't look like you were a sorehead from the start. By the way, I am assuming that you are a fellow student, not the instructor.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay. I'm just suggesting that at that point you can use whatever excuse you think best and your earlier reply to his contact by social media will buffer the problem. With luck you won't look like you were a sorehead from the start. By the way, I am assuming that you are a fellow student, not the instructor.
Yes a student who doesn’t like giving things away to people he doesn’t know very well

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Hey! Good to hear from you. Since you ask, I'm trying to balance my checkbook. What a mess. LOL"
I replied and they followed with another question related to exams. They’re going to go in for the kill soon!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I replied and they followed with another question related to exams. They’re going to go in for the kill soon!
Apparently.

There is nothing that you can do to stop the messages, however, so you either can reply with some comment that has nothing to do with class or else address it and say that it's not your policy to do that (because of a bad experience with someone else you tried to help, maybe?).

In the end, all you can do is turn over the notes or else try not to look uppity while not doing it.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why are you not giving out your notes? It can't hurt your grade unless the instructor has a grading curve. Even if the person was your enemy what would God say to that? I know those notes represent your work but it would seem to me that sharing them would glorify God if they knew you were a Christian. Remember too that someday you might not be in class and may need access to another student's notes.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are you not giving out your notes? It can't hurt your grade unless the instructor has a grading curve. Even if the person was your enemy what would God say to that? I know those notes represent your work but it would seem to me that sharing them would glorify God if they knew you were a Christian. Remember too that someday you might not be in class and may need access to another student's notes.
If other people do better, you do worse.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If other people do better, you do worse.
So your instructor grades on a curve and not on a fixed score. If this is the case I totally understand that I would not provide notes. Most courses in the USA are graded by score only. If everyone gets a 92 or above, then everyone would receive an A grade.

Upvote 0

God saves

Feb 11, 2019
China
✟44,440.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you feel about people who you’ve never spoken to in class trying to add you on social media just so they can ask you for notes?

Someone has done this with me and even sending me a message saying “hello how are you?”. I never speak to them so what’s going to happen is I get roped in to replying to them and then they ask me for my notes.
I hate this and do not want to share my notes with people.

How do I get out of this situation?

That's never happened to me so far. However in some of my classes the professors actually suggested that we get the contact of one or two classmates so that we can contact them in case a situation arises where we missed something. If I wanted to ask a classmate something if I could find a way to email them I would do that instead of adding them on social media.

I think it is your right to decide whether or not to share notes. Personally if a classmate contacted me asking me to share notes (which has never happened so far) because they missed a class due to whatever reason (sickness, bereavement etc - it wouldn't be my place to question why anyway), I would share them unless I didn't take notes, or seriously doubted the accuracy of my notes. If they were in class for the notes they're requesting, maybe they're asking in case they might have missed something or just wanted to see whether it matched your notes to have a better idea of whether their notes are accurate.

If you just don't want a situation where a student relies on you to take notes, you could politely ask them whether they could share their notes with you too because you want to make sure that your notes are accurate too, and while you're happy to share them if they took notes too, each student has their responsibility of gathering their information from the class. You could politely ask them why they are asking and which parts of the lecture notes do they need from the class so you don't have to give out everything. Or you could just be direct and say that you do not give notes to other students, nothing against them but you generally don't, and maybe state the reason(s) why. Or if there are other sources of information of the lecture, or if the textbook is sufficient for study, you could suggest that.

If the class is graded on a curve scale, I appreciate the concern better than if it was not, but on the other hand personally I wouldn't really want to wish that people do worse in the class just based on notes or no notes from you. However, if you don't want to share notes with a classmate that is your right, although in the situation of a classmate missing a few classes because of sickness etc personally I would. If for some reason the notes you take would be graded, then to me that would be a much more obvious reason to not share notes.

A situation where you don't really have a choice to not share your notes, which it doesn't sound like it is from your description (unless someone's asking you because they want to see if you take good notes before officially asking), is if a student with a disability has shared notes as an accommodation and you chose to be the notetaker (in which case if you still wouldn't want to share notes in that scenario obviously just don't sign up to be a notetaker).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I hate this and do not want to share my notes with people...How do I get out of this situation?

You say. "No. I don't share my notes."

I fail to see why this is a difficult question. It sounds as if you are a diligent student, who attends class, pays attention, and takes notes. The other person may be considered to be less diligent if s/he has insufficient notes. As a student I never understood why I should sit in class all day, pay attention, and take notes while a classmate cut class to play a round of golf, overslept, or was too hung over to come to class that day and then still me expected to share my notes.

If I shared notes at all it would be in a quid pro quo arrangement characterized by mutuality. I'll help you out in this instance because you had the flu; you help me out in the next instance when I miss class for my grandmother's funeral. But there better be a pretty good reason for each of us.

Of course, I went to college in the days before group projects when it was about individual performance.

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So your instructor grades on a curve and not on a fixed score. If this is the case I totally understand that I would not provide notes. Most courses in the USA are graded by score only. If everyone gets a 92 or above, then everyone would receive an A grade.
It’s scaled I believe so that the average is around 55%

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't give them your notes, just leave them on read or something and move on. Doing so is not being mean or rude since they're obviously just trying to use you
I think ignoring is kind of rude too.

Upvote 0