I did something terrible

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's based on scripture and the early church. The church fathers are seen as a cornerstone in many ways. It's not relative, it's rather normative. They were under special grace of the Holy Spirit.
Yeah, well, I've read a lot of the early church fathers on theology. They disagree on tons of stuff. How can they be infallible if they can't even agree on doctrine?

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, well, I've read a lot of the early church fathers on theology. They disagree on tons of stuff. How can they be infallible if they can't even agree on doctrine?
they aren't infallible - the saints can and do err at times

but that doesn't mean that they weren't guided and illumined by the Holy Spirit

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Like I said, imperfect human beings with imperfect doctrine.
It’s the consensus of the Saints that we set as our standard, not any particular saint. The Holy Spirit is infallible, not any one saint (even though they are guided by the Holy Spirit).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My guess is that you're going to be called arrogant within a few more posts. It usually goes down that way...
To reject the paradigm of relativism is equal to being stubborn and arrogant in the eyes of the vast majority of people in the western world.

I have some first hand experience with this, unfortunately.

same here, whatevs

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

really? name them and proof of their errors.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am just a sinner saved by grace... I will gladly take communion with anyone who trusts Christ for thier salvation. None of us have perfect theology.

The people here may not believe that I or my communion hold to it, but we do also say that Orthodox theology is perfect. It really is, as it is given to us by God (I could post here the portion of the Agpeya titled "The Faith of the Church", wherein we affirm that the Holy Spirit Himself taught us the correct belief and worship of the Holy Trinity, but alas this is the wrong board for it; but it is there). There is nothing to be added or subtracted from it. It is whole and complete without any outsider's input.

It is also not to any Orthodox person's credit that Orthodoxy is true and perfect, though the saints are recognized as particularly strong examples of its embodiment, and therefore worthy of veneration and to be held up as examples to us who wish to live as they have, illumined by the indwelling of God.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They disagreed on minor things not major doctrines, Church Fathers aren’t infallible either, is there any Church Father who advocated Sola Scriptura which Protestantism demands we accept as a matter of salvation? Didn’t think so. I’ve read a lot of the Church Fathers, well I wouldn’t actually say a lot, but I’ve read enough to know that there’s a continuity in the Church Fathers that goes back to the early Church and extends to our present time a continuity on doctrine thayyou won’t find in virtuality any other faith, and the problem is once your deep into their writings, actually if you even read basic stuff about them then you can’t pretty much remain Latin or any of its break away Churches in the form of Protestantism and its own break aways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe he is more concerned with having a church that is truly United. You know, all that " They will know us by our love." Stuff. :)

the Church is truly united. there are just a lot of folks who aren't in it even though they believe in Christ because their vision of Christ is lacking or distorted.

you can't be truly united in love if you aren't also lovingly united in Truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Never. It never ends.

nope. this the assumption that because someone is in hell just because they aren't Orthodox in this life makes me wonder if folks read Job, who was righteous, but fifth from Abraham NOT in the covenant.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You gotta be kidding me...
It's so stupid! Each and every time some nimrod goes down this road...
When does it end?!
That's why I stated (several times I believe) that we don't judge others and we are not condemning anyone as "unsaved". It goes completely against Orthodox thinking that I have seen to do that.

But it seems like that's always what people "hear".

It can be very typical. It's the logical conclusion based on more contemporary western theology (as closely as I can identify the source). It always goes down that path for some.

Upvote 0