I did something terrible

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
All this being said, I dont just accept theological disagreements, I cherish them. Orthodox theology is solid theology. Let there be no doubt about this.

Historically, the RCC gave birth to the protestant reformation so I guess they have that in common. Besides with Vatican ii it's hardly any real difference between a reverent Episcopal service and that of Novus Ordo.

I believe its in the liturgy that we find the greatest differences between the protestant sects, RCC and Orthodoxy.

Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi :)

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The catechumenate is a weird place in many ways. As a catechumen you're Orthodox enough to receive a Orthodox funeral, but not enough to recieve the sacrament of confession and communion.
Its Orthodox light or something, I guess.

Just avoid repeating it and talk to your folks is my advice. Tell them about communion, the importance of it and the reasons for avoiding intercommunion.

Sure, you could bring this up with your priest, but I'd personally have left it out until my first confession. Being halfway there is difficult and weird.
I remember when I became a catholic, I went through something similar.

I did not go to communion anywhere for a year and I longed so much for it. It's some kind of a desert to many people. What do we do, when we fall?
Well, we get up again and take up our cross.

God is good and merciful. Glory be to Christ our doctor, saviour and our king. Glory be to him!
That's why being a catechumen feels like limbo and the basis of my nickname in German "The Eternal Catechumen".

My dad is nice enough to take me to Church when I ask him but my stepmom asked me before going to Church today if I still "worship images" and my visa situation is God "trying to talk to me".

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
numerically we're the second largest denomination on the planet, so I don't think we are that isolated

With or without the EP? You're currently not in communion, yes?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
That's why being a catechumen feels like limbo and the basis of my nickname in German "The Eternal Catechumen".

My dad is nice enough to take me to Church when I ask him but my stepmom asked me before going to Church today if I still "worship images" and my visa situation is God "trying to talk to me".

Oy vey... worshiping images :doh:
That's a boring, old and stupid accusation.
As a fun fact, idolatry in the most physical ancient way hasnt been done in hundreds of yours except from Pope Francis.

Pachamama...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
With or without the EP? You're currently not in communion, yes?

no, we are. I am OCA. Russia is out of communion with the EP, and those bishops who sided with the EP in Alexandria and Greece. this is not a full schism at all

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
no, we are. I am OCA. Russia is out of communion with the EP, and those bishops who sided with the EP in Alexandria and Greece. this is not a full schism at all

Ok, thanks again for clarification. It's all very confusing to outsiders.
I guess it's kind of a work in progress of some sort?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok, thanks again for clarification. It's all very confusing to outsiders.
I guess it's kind of a work in progress of some sort?

nah, it happens. bishops unfortunately break communion with others but not the whole Church often enough through Church history.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
nah, it happens. bishops unfortunately break communion with others but not the whole Church often enough through Church history.

Kind of what the long shot of Florence aimed at I suppose.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kind of what the long shot of Florence aimed at I suppose.

not exactly. Rome and the East had already fully been out of communion with each other for centuries before Florence. with this, there is no full schism as in, no group is fully outside of the body of the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
not exactly. Rome and the East had already fully been out of communion with each other for centuries before Florence. with this, there is no full schism as in, no group is fully outside of the body of the Church.

Time could've been seen as quite relative if they'd reached an orthodox conclusion at Florence. I do however fail to see how that could've happened.

The roman delegates seemed to obsessed with their doctrine moreso than of coming together as brethren.

Besides, purgatory was rightly rejected by the orthodox.

I've read through the records of the council and in my opinion it was deemed to fail even without the fall of the byzantine empire.

Many catholic scholars tends to blame the muslims for the collapse at Florence, but that's inaccurate in my opinion.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Time could've been seen as quite relative if they'd reached an orthodox conclusion at Florence. I do however fail to see how that could've happened.

The roman delegates seemed to obsessed with their doctrine moreso than of coming together as brethren.

Besides, purgatory was rightly rejected by the orthodox.

I've read through the records of the council and in my opinion it was deemed to fail even without the fall of the byzantine empire.

Many catholic scholars tends to blame the muslims for the collapse at Florence, but that's inaccurate in my opinion.

sure, but they would not have reached an Orthodox conclusion.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
personally, I think Rome is far more in common with low church Protestants than with us, because Protestantism has the same approach to Christianity, even though often their conclusions are different.
I read a book about that a while ago. It was from a (high church, traditional) Lutheran perspective, so definitely some differences from Orthodoxy to be sure!, but the same sentiment — modern Protestantism and Catholicism are two sides of the same coin

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm talking about main line denominations, that could all recite the Nicene creed with honesty.
Anyone who recites and believes in the Nicene creed makes that person a Christian, rejecting ituts one outside the fold of Christianity. However reciting the Nicene creed doesn’t make one Non Schismatic or not heretical in certain other beliefs. After all Nestorius himself recited the Nicene creed and fully believed in it and so did Eutychus, it doesn’t mean they are correct in their faith nor could we take communion from their Churches due to their schisms and other heretical doctrines. Even when I prayed with my Evangelical fundamentalist friend, I’d stop the prayer or discontinue if the perpetual virginity or the title of Theotokos was attacked, luckily that never happened, but if it did then that’s what I’d do. How can I stand in worship with certain “Messianic” so called Christians or the SDA that believe we have to keep Old Covenant laws to be saved?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who recites and believes in the Nicene creed makes that person a Christian, rejecting ituts one outside the fold of Christianity. However reciting the Nicene creed doesn’t make one Non Schismatic or not heretical in certain other beliefs. After all Nestorius himself recited the Nicene creed and fully believed in it and so did Eutychus, it doesn’t mean they are correct in their faith nor could we take communion from their Churches due to their schisms and other heretical doctrines. Even when I prayed with my Evangelical fundamentalist friend, I’d stop the prayer or discontinue if the perpetual virginity or the title of Theotokos was attacked, luckily that never happened, but if it did then that’s what I’d do. How can I stand in worship with certain “Messianic” so called Christians or the SDA that believe we have to keep Old Covenant laws to be saved?
I am just a sinner saved by grace... I will gladly take communion with anyone who trusts Christ for thier salvation. None of us have perfect theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am just a sinner saved by grace... I will gladly take communion with anyone who trusts Christ for thier salvation. None of us have perfect theology.

how do you know that none of us have perfect theology?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
how do you know that none of us have perfect theology?

My guess is that you're going to be called arrogant within a few more posts. It usually goes down that way...
To reject the paradigm of relativism is equal to being stubborn and arrogant in the eyes of the vast majority of people in the western world.

I have some first hand experience with this, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Because we are imperfect human beings.

But the church is Devine. That's where Orthodoxy and protestantism departs. The church or a church is seen as a shelter for sinners and driven by sinners in many parts of the protestant world.
In RCC and EO its different. God is a safeguard for Orthodoxy and it follows that the church cannot teach against the will of God.

In western tradition this comes to show in a heavy catechism, which makes it harder to uphold the claim to be infallible in doctrine and moral. In the east however they're generally speaking much more careful not to dogmatize stuff they cannot know.

It's based on scripture and the early church. The church fathers are seen as a cornerstone in many ways. It's not relative, it's rather normative. They were under special grace of the Holy Spirit.

It's all about the respective churches view on the pneumatology.

(DISCLAIMER: Any EO around? Please correct me if I'm wrong or inaccurate.)

Reactions: Barney2.0
Upvote 0