Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You need to talk to your priest, or a priest who is helping you.

It's one thing for those who are received Orthodox to receive communion elsewhere. I'm not sure if where you are in the process but that's something to address with your priest.

As an inquirer I still received communion at a non-denom fellowship when it was offered because I was with my husband and it was for the sake of peace, and because I regarded them as fellow believers, even if I can't regard their communion in the same way.

My priest advised me when in my process it was time to refrain from communing elsewhere.

But even if I had, or even if I did now, it's not about punishment. It would be something I would talk to the priest about.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's not easy stuff with my parents. My dad printed me some directions to go to Church for Epiphany tomorrow and he even is going to help me by waking me up tomorrow but he asked me why I won't come back to commune with Evangelicals since God listened to my family's prayers for me to come back and probably what happened to me is God's warning. :(

At least I won't have those issues back in college

it can be hard with parents. be loving and respectful, yet firm in your Orthodoxy. more times than not, family comes around.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm interested in all of the denominations.
Welcome to TAW. :)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, though it's best to start your own thread.

Some Orthodox don't use "denomination" to describe Orthodoxy, since our fellowship goes back to the early Church (some of the Churches mentioned in Scripture still exist, and have maintained unbroken fellowship to this day, minor bumps notwithstanding).

Denominations are largely a result of (1) the Great Schism in 1054 when Rome became separated from the rest of the Christian sees (locations where the Churches were centered mentioned in Scripture) ... and then the changes within Rome (Catholicism) that led to others disagreeing (the Protestant Reformation) and what has happened within Protestantism since (a shattering into many divisions of beliefs).

Orthodoxy never had a reformation but basically just kept on. We are BIG on not changing things. And existed largely under persecution too, so that also kept the Church together in a way.

Actually the ways beliefs have changed and evolved, and in some cases returned back to early Christian beliefs and practices among all the denominations was something that really fascinated me, and I continue to be interested. Seeing it over history is really eye-opening about what the Apostles DID hand down.

Forgive me if that's too much, or too simple. I just wanted to welcome you and invite you to post if you like. Please do read the SOP though. All congregational forums don't allow teaching contrary to their own beliefs in their own forum, but the Orthodox one DOES allow debate in St. Justin's.

God be with you. :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
good, I did the same thing when I was a catechumen with an AoG parish. my priest was very understanding.
Same thing happened to me as a catechumen. Father was very helpful in guiding me with the whole situation - and was understanding as well.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've been advised of Orthodox practice now. It would help if people identified as Orthodox or Roman Catholic instead of just "Christian". Or do Orthodox people only accept Orthodox people as Christian?
I think the OP is a catechumen (still learning). Sometimes it might be helpful to know they are entering Orthodoxy ... but much more often it might be better they don't present as Orthodox before they actually are. (That's not a comment about the OP, just the forums in general.)

I try to scroll up to see what forum I'm in. The rules can vary so much. I've been embarrassed more than once posting inappropriately according to the SOPs so I do my best to avoid that anymore, lol.

If you think that you were not ready to take communion, I see your point. If it is because you took communion at a different church, then it's really not a big deal.

It's true that to receive communion if not prepared is a serious concern. We should of course all always examine ourselves.

For us, communion is not only communion with Christ but all together a very closely knit body. As such, we unfortunately cannot share communion if we are not fully in agreement about core beliefs. (Of course some denominations are closer to us and some are quite far away.) But it's a very serious matter to us, and we are not free to join ourselves to just any.

(IIRC, Methodists are close to us on many theological points, but the last time I was at a Methodist fellowship, they allowed unbelievers to receive communion as well. I understand why they do this - not considering it their place to declare someone separated from God. We would actually agree that we absolutely do NOT judge others - but from the earliest days of Christianity it has been important to properly discern the Body and Blood of the Lord - and how can one discern if they deny Him? Again it could be harmful to them to receive. So ... no, we do not join ourselves to disparate beliefs.)

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to TAW. :)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, though it's best to start your own thread.

Some Orthodox don't use "denomination" to describe Orthodoxy, since our fellowship goes back to the early Church (some of the Churches mentioned in Scripture still exist, and have maintained unbroken fellowship to this day, minor bumps notwithstanding).

Denominations are largely a result of (1) the Great Schism in 1054 when Rome became separated from the rest of the Christian sees (locations where the Churches were centered mentioned in Scripture) ... and then the changes within Rome (Catholicism) that led to others disagreeing (the Protestant Reformation) and what has happened within Protestantism since (a shattering into many divisions of beliefs).

Orthodoxy never had a reformation but basically just kept on. We are BIG on not changing things. And existed largely under persecution too, so that also kept the Church together in a way.

Actually the ways beliefs have changed and evolved, and in some cases returned back to early Christian beliefs and practices among all the denominations was something that really fascinated me, and I continue to be interested. Seeing it over history is really eye-opening about what the Apostles DID hand down.

Forgive me if that's too much, or too simple. I just wanted to welcome you and invite you to post if you like. Please do read the SOP though. All congregational forums don't allow teaching contrary to their own beliefs in their own forum, but the Orthodox one DOES allow debate in St. Justin's.

God be with you. :)
I was going to start a thread to ask questions so was looking for the SOP for this section to check first the rules about doing it.
I stumbled across a sticky thread which purports to explain Orthodox beliefs. I'm on page 4 so far. It is a trove of information.

This one:
What We Believe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I think the OP is a catechumen (still learning). Sometimes it might be helpful to know they are entering Orthodoxy ... but much more often it might be better they don't present as Orthodox before they actually are. (That's not a comment about the OP, just the forums in general.)

I try to scroll up to see what forum I'm in. The rules can vary so much. I've been embarrassed more than once posting inappropriately according to the SOPs so I do my best to avoid that anymore, lol.

It's true that to receive communion if not prepared is a serious concern. We should of course all always examine ourselves.

For us, communion is not only communion with Christ but all together a very closely knit body. As such, we unfortunately cannot share communion if we are not fully in agreement about core beliefs. (Of course some denominations are closer to us and some are quite far away.) But it's a very serious matter to us, and we are not free to join ourselves to just any.

(IIRC, Methodists are close to us on many theological points, but the last time I was at a Methodist fellowship, they allowed unbelievers to receive communion as well. I understand why they do this - not considering it their place to declare someone separated from God. We would actually agree that we absolutely do NOT judge others - but from the earliest days of Christianity it has been important to properly discern the Body and Blood of the Lord - and how can one discern if they deny Him? Again it could be harmful to them to receive. So ... no, we do not join ourselves to disparate beliefs.)
We agree on the principle that communion is for believers only. If one of our fellowship feels that they are not right with God or another believer, we expect them to pass on taking it. Once or twice we've said "no" to someone that we knew were not right in their hearts.

Since I am non-denominational, my only criteria for taking communion is that the individual is born again. I've come across strict denominations before, Baptists and Exclusive Brethren. Some are so exclusive that even God cannot become a member.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We agree on the principle that communion is for believers only. If one of our fellowship feels that they are not right with God or another believer, we expect them to pass on taking it. Once or twice we've said "no" to someone that we knew were not right in their hearts.

Since I am non-denominational, my only criteria for taking communion is that the individual is born again. I've come across strict denominations before, Baptists and Exclusive Brethren. Some are so exclusive that even God cannot become a member.
Well for us I would say it has nothing to do with "being exclusive".

In the early Church, people were taught as they were becoming converts. They would remain in the Church with everyone while hearing the readings and teaching, then be taken away for further instruction while the baptized faithful communed. They were not even taught the deeper "mysteries" of the faith until they were fully converted. It was important to protect the Church as well as to protect people who might otherwise commune without discerning.

We simply continue their practices. Like I said, we don't like to change things from the practices established and handed down by the Apostles. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was going to start a thread to ask questions so was looking for the SOP for this section to check first the rules about doing it.
I stumbled across a sticky thread which purports to explain Orthodox beliefs. I'm on page 4 so far. It is a trove of information.

This one:
What We Believe
That is a good post. I read through it some years ago.

The SOP is here. Statement of Purpose - The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox Statement of Purpose Sorry, I should have given you a link. Btw, you can generally find the SOP as a sticky at the top of most forums (I think a few might not have an SOP).

But basically it's against the rules in a congregational or community forum to teach against their beliefs. Different forums tend to be either more or less accepting - we try to allow folks who are sincerely exploring or discussing to do so. But just to be safe, we do have a debate forum if anyone feels the need to approach that way.

Please do feel free to ask any questions. Orthodoxy is very easy for western Christians to misunderstand on many points. We may use the same words but mean a different thing. Or something implied to someone else may not be at ALL what we mean (case in point closed communion - people often assume that means we don't consider non-Orthodox to be "saved" but the truth is we absolutely do not want to judge anyone's salvation since only God judges that).

If you want the debate forum it's here: St. Justin Martyr's Corner: Debate an Orthodox Chr

But you can ask questions in TAW, and probably more people will see it. :)

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
David,

In spite of the difficulties you’re experiencing from taking communion elsewhere. I’m happy to know you’re able to fellowship with your father. The absence was difficult. I hope its abatement will give you comfort and they’ll embrace your choice with lovingkindness. :)

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Well for us I would say it has nothing to do with "being exclusive".

In the early Church, people were taught as they were becoming converts. They would remain in the Church with everyone while hearing the readings and teaching, then be taken away for further instruction while the baptized faithful communed. They were not even taught the deeper "mysteries" of the faith until they were fully converted. It was important to protect the Church as well as to protect people who might otherwise commune without discerning.

We simply continue their practices. Like I said, we don't like to change things from the practices established and handed down by the Apostles. :)
I'll not respond to your remarks for obvious reasons.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

well, what she said is supported by Scripture and the history of the early Church, especially once you get bodies of believers that start having different understandings of the Faith. you cannot commune with those you are not in communion with. and theological disagreements break that communion.

• Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I took communion at my dad's Methodist Church because I gave up on his pressure.

I am a terrible catechumen and I should be punished for my weakness. :(

Sorry I can not be of much assistance since I have never communed anywhere else. Since you are still a catechumen, I would not be so hard on yourself. I would do as others here have said, talk to your Priest about it.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Well I was really just trying to explain.

Again, Orthodoxy is easily misunderstood by western Christians. I attended at a parish for almost a year and could not receive communion there, and in the early days I did take it in my Protestant mindset as being judged not a Christian. I understand because of what many Protestants are taught why they think that way.

I do actually regret that rules can somewhat stifle discussion. I used to ask people more deeply to understand and discuss, but depending on what they would answer, it's true that someone might see it as going against the SOP. (Normally here in TAW the regulars have not tended to report against visitors unless in some rare cases we would get a member who engaged in a long-term crusade to try to disprove our faith, without really engaging - IOW only in very rare situations.) But depending on your response, someone could see me asking you further as baiting, and I certainly don't want to do that or get myself or anyone else in trouble.

You can pm me if you like, or go to St. Justin Martyr's to debate if you want. But I understand we may well have differing ways of understanding even key beliefs and practices. That is unfortunately part of the point of a closed communion, and I really wish it wasn't necessary (i.e. I wish there were no divisions within Christianity.)

God be with you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The catechumenate is a weird place in many ways. As a catechumen you're Orthodox enough to receive a Orthodox funeral, but not enough to recieve the sacrament of confession and communion.
Its Orthodox light or something, I guess.

Just avoid repeating it and talk to your folks is my advice. Tell them about communion, the importance of it and the reasons for avoiding intercommunion.

Sure, you could bring this up with your priest, but I'd personally have left it out until my first confession. Being halfway there is difficult and weird.
I remember when I became a catholic, I went through something similar.

I did not go to communion anywhere for a year and I longed so much for it. It's some kind of a desert to many people. What do we do, when we fall?
Well, we get up again and take up our cross.

God is good and merciful. Glory be to Christ our doctor, saviour and our king. Glory be to him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I took communion at my dad's Methodist Church because I gave up on his pressure.

I am a terrible catechumen and I should be punished for my weakness. :(
What is wrong about that? You took communion with fellow Christians. We are all one body.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is a hard place to be (the catechumenate). Though I REALLY enjoyed the classes.

Many times a priest will offer a blessing to catechumens in place of communion. It wouldn't hurt to ask. I didn't ask about it but I know people who have and felt better about participating to that degree.

Upvote 0