✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I hate technology! :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

I came to my computer to order groceries from Walmart on Thursday. I was greeted with a pop-up that said I had to call a certain phone number or all my personal information was in jeopardy. I couldn't get to my email account or anything. My daughter had taught school that day and was at her second job. She said she could take my PC in the following day. She brought it back on Monday. Then she went home.

Long story short ---:frowning: --- I couldn't order groceries because of a snafu! I called the store three times. I even talked to the manager for deliveries. No one could help me! So I decided to register again. I did and discovered that my email account had disappeared; in fact all my shortcuts had also disappeared. And the hundreds of photos I had saved are all jumbled up in no order at all. :sob:

Mother Hubbard's cupbord is bare! This time I called my youngest daught[FONT=open sans, Arial, sans-serif]er. She came over and spent an hour or two working on this PC. :oops:Look! How did my font shrink? I still hate my computer! But I have my email and my groceries should be here tomorrow.

I still don't have all my shortcuts and probably have to come up with new passwords and usernames.

Y'all have a good week if I don't get back for awhile.
[/FONT]
I feel so sorry for you Old Lady (it sounds impolite calling you that :D). I've had troubles with my computer too and have felt that I wanted to kill it! That's not unbiblical is it? :D But then I wouldn't get to talk to you guys so it would be too much of a loss. :)

Seriously though be wary of scammers - that phone number sounds very dodgy. I hope you get it sorted out soon and, as others have said, get good internet security. :)

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I paid ninety dollars. One of my daughters helped me the other day. I can't take it to anyone because I don't have a car and don't drive. My oldest takes it to another town for repairs. My youngest put new letters on my my old keyboard.:) BTW, I'm going to try to get my username changed.
Have you considered sending a letter to the firm that was paid to repair it but didnt?

• Friendly
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Have you considered sending a letter to the firm that was paid to repair it but didnt?

I don't know their address. They're only an hour away but I don't want my daughter to go again because she teaches blind children in the public schools M-F and works part time in a small business (she's part owner).

However, I honestly appreciate your input. It tells me you're a very nice person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I feel so sorry for you Old Lady (it sounds impolite calling you that :D). I've had troubles with my computer too and have felt that I wanted to kill it! That's not unbiblical is it? :D

Donald Duck ROFL.gif (ROFL)

But then I wouldn't get to talk to you guys so it would be too much of a loss. :)

You need to be here, too, because you make me laugh!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm learning disabled when it comes to computers.
I am very impressed with the tech savvy "Golden Eagles" ... but I'm with you. We had a computer instruction day here at my retirement village which was a lot of fun ... first lesson was finding the little arrow so you can imagine things progressed rather slowly ... but we had a lot of laughs.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I haven't got a computer anymore, just my phone but about 2 years ago I did something when I turned it off and I lost everything, I went to the Telco office that said if I brought it up they could fix it but when I got there, they fiddled and then told me they couldn't restore it, searched high and low, went to mobile phone techs and everywhere I went was told I should throw it away it was useless.
I really resisted that because I hadn't had it that long (well for me anyway).
So many things now you have to do via the internet but if you don't have a computer???
So I was at our rural transaction centre where you can access computers and tried to follow their instructions but still no use.

After about two weeks of this,(no phone, no communication) my younger sister came up with an extra phone she was going to give me.
I asked her to see if she could do anything because it still irked me that I couldn't open the phone.
Yes, you guessed it, she got it going, the only thing was that I lost all my photos.

These were precious because I had a little video of my Mum who had passed away and photos and videos of my last horse who also has passed,as well as lots of others.:pensive:
What was worse was that was my fault because I hadn't gotten a memory card as back up.:cry:
(I still haven't but now I'm reminded, next time I am able, I will do that)

My sister is no computer tech but she was able to restore my phone yet the "experts" couldn't????
It taught me what I always suspected, firstly just how throw away society has become.
And secondly just how"expert" the so called experts are.
Also how easily I forget to do the things I should (get memory card).:kissingclosed:
Technology is only good when its working.

:( I'm so sorry about your photos!

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I hate technology! :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

I came to my computer to order groceries from Walmart on Thursday. I was greeted with a pop-up that said I had to call a certain phone number or all my personal information was in jeopardy. I couldn't get to my email account or anything. My daughter had taught school that day and was at her second job. She said she could take my PC in the following day. She brought it back on Monday. Then she went home.

Long story short ---:frowning: --- I couldn't order groceries because of a snafu! I called the store three times. I even talked to the manager for deliveries. No one could help me! So I decided to register again. I did and discovered that my email account had disappeared; in fact all my shortcuts had also disappeared. And the hundreds of photos I had saved are all jumbled up in no order at all. :sob:

Mother Hubbard's cupbord is bare! This time I called my youngest daught[FONT=open sans, Arial, sans-serif]er. She came over and spent an hour or two working on this PC. :oops:Look! How did my font shrink? I still hate my computer! But I have my email and my groceries should be here tomorrow.

I still don't have all my shortcuts and probably have to come up with new passwords and usernames.

Y'all have a good week if I don't get back for awhile.
[/FONT]

OH, My! Wasn't I the one who told you how to order groceries through Walmart? Soooo sorry! I've never had any problems with them, but have gone mostly Amazon lately so haven't checked!! Now I'm scared to even check!!
I've lost everything 3 times now, at least!! One through Incredimail---something was wrong and I called them to fix it, they took over my computer---they erased everything I had in my Wordpad--photos, recipes I'd researched back in the days when there were no computers---they erased over 35 years of recipes I'd collected--mostly in notebooks-- from very old Latino cookbooks that I had finally all typed into my WordPad, I had translated all recipes from Spanish. I was furious esp. when I found out that to fix the problem he didn't even have to get into the Wordpad! For a few minutes I lost all sense of Christianity! No way I could recover those. Plus tons of info about several different religions, including about the now closed forum---have missed you!
I've also had 3 laptops die on me with all info lost!! One of those times I was without computer for awhile until I bought a new one and had no groceries (for that was how I've ordered everything long before Covid as I am in wheelchair) My computer is all I've got for everything---do not own smart phone. I've switched over to desk top---easier to find help with problems. Though my box got infected and had to get a new one, I was blessed though---a guy at my church who does all the computer stuff for the church gave me a brand new box for free, set it up and everything, he said he saved my Wordpad unto a disc, but I have not checked it out yet. He did not charge for anything--and he had spent much time trying to fix the infected one first. So I guess that is 5 times I've lost everything! I didn't even cry the lastime! I'm getting used to it---I can't take it with me, and won't need one after Christ returns for us!! When He comes, all will be erased again, anyway!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
OH, My! Wasn't I the one who told you how to order groceries through Walmart? Soooo sorry! I've never had any problems with them, but have gone mostly Amazon lately so haven't checked!! Now I'm scared to even check!!
I've lost everything 3 times now, at least!! One through Incredimail---something was wrong and I called them to fix it, they took over my computer---they erased everything I had in my Wordpad--photos, recipes I'd researched back in the days when there were no computers---they erased over 35 years of recipes I'd collected--mostly in notebooks-- from very old Latino cookbooks that I had finally all typed into my WordPad, I had translated all recipes from Spanish. I was furious esp. when I found out that to fix the problem he didn't even have to get into the Wordpad! For a few minutes I lost all sense of Christianity! No way I could recover those. Plus tons of info about several different religions, including about the now closed forum---have missed you!
I've also had 3 laptops die on me with all info lost!! One of those times I was without computer for awhile until I bought a new one and had no groceries (for that was how I've ordered everything long before Covid as I am in wheelchair) My computer is all I've got for everything---do not own smart phone. I've switched over to desk top---easier to find help with problems. Though my box got infected and had to get a new one, I was blessed though---a guy at my church who does all the computer stuff for the church gave me a brand new box for free, set it up and everything, he said he saved my Wordpad unto a disc, but I have not checked it out yet. He did not charge for anything--and he had spent much time trying to fix the infected one first. So I guess that is 5 times I've lost everything! I didn't even cry the lastime! I'm getting used to it---I can't take it with me, and won't need one after Christ returns for us!! When He comes, all will be erased again, anyway!
:( I'm sorry! I think Big Tech wants to make us old people give up!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Walmart is fine! My computer isn't. My daughter doesn't want to take my tower and me this weekend, because we're going to have snow both days.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Walmart is fine! My computer isn't. My daughter doesn't want to take my tower and me this weekend, because we're going to have snow both days.

Oh! OK---I somehw got things mixed up, I thought Walmart had infected your computer---my 70 year old brain sometimes gets things scrambled.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just a thought, call your church I bet they have someone who can help you. Many churches now have people who are computer experts.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Just a thought, call your church I bet they have someone who can help you. Many churches now have people who are computer experts.

That thought crossed my mind; but those experts must get a LOT of requests and I don't want to burden them more.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
That thought crossed my mind; but those experts must get a LOT of requests and I don't want to burden them more.
Not about computers but for other things, I am one who gets called on all the time, A LOT, and to be honest I don't really mind --even when I complain-- it is a privilege, and a joy to be able to help with what someone else can't do.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not about computers but for other things, I am one who gets called on all the time, A LOT, and to be honest I don't really mind --even when I complain-- it is a privilege, and a joy to be able to help with what someone else can't do.

I've had a lot of help, too --- with yard work and mower repair.

My youngest son-in-law works on computers all day, but he doesn't work after hours.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have to give people the opportunity to bless you now and then, it is good for them and for you. You can always bless them back with a homemade pie.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You have to give people the opportunity to bless you now and then, it is good for them and for you. You can always bless them back with a homemade pie.

Bless my soul! The last time there was a pie in my house I ate the WHOLE thing!

Upvote 0