✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I hate technology! :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

I came to my computer to order groceries from Walmart on Thursday. I was greeted with a pop-up that said I had to call a certain phone number or all my personal information was in jeopardy. I couldn't get to my email account or anything. My daughter had taught school that day and was at her second job. She said she could take my PC in the following day. She brought it back on Monday. Then she went home.

Long story short ---:frowning: --- I couldn't order groceries because of a snafu! I called the store three times. I even talked to the manager for deliveries. No one could help me! So I decided to register again. I did and discovered that my email account had disappeared; in fact all my shortcuts had also disappeared. And the hundreds of photos I had saved are all jumbled up in no order at all. :sob:

Mother Hubbard's cupbord is bare! This time I called my youngest daught[FONT=open sans, Arial, sans-serif]er. She came over and spent an hour or two working on this PC. :oops:Look! How did my font shrink? I still hate my computer! But I have my email and my groceries should be here tomorrow.

I still don't have all my shortcuts and probably have to come up with new passwords and usernames.

Y'all have a good week if I don't get back for awhile.
[/FONT]

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

I came to my computer to order groceries from Walmart on Thursday. I was greeted with a pop-up that said I had to call a certain phone number or all my personal information was in jeopardy. I couldn't get to my email account or anything. My daughter had taught school that day and was at her second job. She said she could take my PC in the following day. She brought it back on Monday. Then she went home.

Long story short ---:frowning: --- I couldn't order groceries because of a snafu! I called the store three times. I even talked to the manager for deliveries. No one could help me! So I decided to register again. I did and discovered that my email account had disappeared; in fact all my shortcuts had also disappeared. And the hundreds of photos I had saved are all jumbled up in no order at all. :sob:

Mother Hubbard's cupbord is bare! This time I called my youngest daught[FONT=open sans, Arial, sans-serif]er. She came over and spent an hour or two working on this PC. :oops:Look! How did my font shrink? I still hate my computer! But I have my email and my groceries should be here tomorrow.

I still don't have all my shortcuts and probably have to come up with new passwords and usernames.

[/FONT]
Sounds like you got a virus. Check your temperature.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we can all relate to how frustrating technology can be! :eek: I can't count the hours I've spent wrestling with passwords or getting locked out of accounts. My only advice is to take a break and try again later. Prayer helps too! Hope you are able to work out your current problem soon.

iu

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When covid arrived I tried ordering groceries online for delivery for the first time ... among other "irregularities" I got 5 bags of potatoes instead of 5 potatoes! I am a lot more careful now!!

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When covid arrived I tried ordering groceries online for delivery for the first time ... among other "irregularities" I got 5 bags of potatoes instead of 5 potatoes! I am a lot more careful now!!

Man, need to try that with toilet paper next time. Hehe (kidding)

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

[/FONT]

So sorry. The pop up sounds like a scam. But I agree with the virus too.

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Gotta luv that technology. Sorry about your issue. Check for viruses and ransomware. Good idea to have protection in place. Its not perfect, but a whole lot better, and they will help you if there's a problem. Your telco might also if you have the patience for that technology. They blocked me. lol. Obviously I don't have.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm so sorry Phoebe. It's so frustrating. Make sure to save things to an external hard drive. This computer has given me nothing but grief since I got it and I have probably spent nearly the same again on getting various things upgraded and fixed.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

[/FONT]

I haven't got a computer anymore, just my phone but about 2 years ago I did something when I turned it off and I lost everything, I went to the Telco office that said if I brought it up they could fix it but when I got there, they fiddled and then told me they couldn't restore it, searched high and low, went to mobile phone techs and everywhere I went was told I should throw it away it was useless.
I really resisted that because I hadn't had it that long (well for me anyway).
So many things now you have to do via the internet but if you don't have a computer???
So I was at our rural transaction centre where you can access computers and tried to follow their instructions but still no use.

After about two weeks of this,(no phone, no communication) my younger sister came up with an extra phone she was going to give me.
I asked her to see if she could do anything because it still irked me that I couldn't open the phone.
Yes, you guessed it, she got it going, the only thing was that I lost all my photos.

These were precious because I had a little video of my Mum who had passed away and photos and videos of my last horse who also has passed,as well as lots of others.:pensive:
What was worse was that was my fault because I hadn't gotten a memory card as back up.:cry:
(I still haven't but now I'm reminded, next time I am able, I will do that)

My sister is no computer tech but she was able to restore my phone yet the "experts" couldn't????
It taught me what I always suspected, firstly just how throw away society has become.
And secondly just how"expert" the so called experts are.
Also how easily I forget to do the things I should (get memory card).:kissingclosed:
Technology is only good when its working.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

[/FONT]
If you paid for that repair you deserve a refund. Take it to someone who has experience.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I get calls like that and they are scams. Press 2 if don't want such and such catastrophe to happen to your account, etc.
As to Walmart I am still trying to order and can't even get started. It would be my first so now I won't try for a while til I have another two hours to fool with it.
Especially popups are dangerous. I had one that came up a hideous red and said to respond now or all would be lost because someone had accessed my computer. I shut my computer down immediately.
Don't fall for stuff like that.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All those pop ups are scams same as emails and even phone texts from people you don't know. Just delete and certainly don't do what they ask.
I got a text recently saying I'd won in a raffle. Normally I would delete but it was from the company my nephew work at so first I was going to check with him but first decided to go to the company's website.
Sure enough there was a scam warning.

So even if you are just curious, you can always check company or google "is . ...... a scam?" 99.9% it is.

You can also report to Scamwatch.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Use a VPN, ( I use Tunnelbear, about $60 - 100 annually.) Adblock, virus software, and do not open unknown, anything. Get rid of everything google. In your settings, shut down Microsoft to the degree you can. Use DuckDuckGo as your search engine and/or use their Browser. Switch to Linux... There is a lot of info online concerning privacy.
Having said all that, some sites will not allow you to use a vpn, others will whine about adblockers. Netflix requires that you keep history on. Prime video won't work with vpn... Decide how far you wish to take it. Never open anything if you don't know who it is from. I think online scammers should be publicly flogged. Repeatedly.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Another thing to remember is scams like those mentioned can come up from sites you might be visiting. You can get a message not to proceed, danger danger and mark the site as prohibitive for you to visit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I haven't got a computer anymore, just my phone but about 2 years ago I did something when I turned it off and I lost everything, I went to the Telco office that said if I brought it up they could fix it but when I got there, they fiddled and then told me they couldn't restore it, searched high and low, went to mobile phone techs and everywhere I went was told I should throw it away it was useless.
I really resisted that because I hadn't had it that long (well for me anyway).
So many things now you have to do via the internet but if you don't have a computer???
So I was at our rural transaction centre where you can access computers and tried to follow their instructions but still no use.

After about two weeks of this,(no phone, no communication) my younger sister came up with an extra phone she was going to give me.
I asked her to see if she could do anything because it still irked me that I couldn't open the phone.
Yes, you guessed it, she got it going, the only thing was that I lost all my photos.

These were precious because I had a little video of my Mum who had passed away and photos and videos of my last horse who also has passed,as well as lots of others.:pensive:
What was worse was that was my fault because I hadn't gotten a memory card as back up.:cry:
(I still haven't but now I'm reminded, next time I am able, I will do that)

My sister is no computer tech but she was able to restore my phone yet the "experts" couldn't????
It taught me what I always suspected, firstly just how throw away society has become.
And secondly just how"expert" the so called experts are.
Also how easily I forget to do the things I should (get memory card).:kissingclosed:
Technology is only good when its working.
I use Memory Zone on on an android. On computers back up drives are cheap. Never use the "cloud" it's just storing all your info on someone elses server. Why would they want us to do that?
Buy phones that have slot for a memory card and have your info stored to "external" card. This way with the purchase of a new phone you can put your old sim card in it. I don't "upgrade" anymore. It has become to intrusive.
save.
backup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you paid for that repair you deserve a refund. Take it to someone who has experience.

I paid ninety dollars. One of my daughters helped me the other day. I can't take it to anyone because I don't have a car and don't drive. My oldest takes it to another town for repairs. My youngest put new letters on my my old keyboard.:) BTW, I'm going to try to get my username changed.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Gotta luv that technology. Sorry about your issue. Check for viruses and ransomware. Good idea to have protection in place. Its not perfect, but a whole lot better, and they will help you if there's a problem. Your telco might also if you have the patience for that technology. They blocked me. lol. Obviously I don't have.

I'm learning disabled when it comes to computers.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Use a VPN, ( I use Tunnelbear, about $60 - 100 annually.) Adblock, virus software, and do not open unknown, anything. Get rid of everything google. In your settings, shut down Microsoft to the degree you can. Use DuckDuckGo as your search engine and/or use their Browser. Switch to Linux... There is a lot of info online concerning privacy.
Having said all that, some sites will not allow you to use a vpn, others will whine about adblockers. Netflix requires that you keep history on. Prime video won't work with vpn... Decide how far you wish to take it. Never open anything if you don't know who it is from. I think online scammersflogged. Repeatedly.
Thanks for the advice but it's all Greek to me! It really is. See my new username.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
When covid arr
ived I tried ordering groceries online for delivery for the first time ... among other "irregularities" I got 5 bags of potatoes instead of 5 potatoes! I am a lot more careful now!!

I thought potatoes came from IRELAND!

Potatoes were introduced to Europe from the Americas in the second half of the 16th century by the Spanish. Today they are a staple food in many parts of the world and an integral part of much of the world's food supply. As of 2014, potatoes were the world's fourth-largest food crop after maize (corn), wheat, and rice.[8]
Potato - Wikipedia

Upvote 0