USA
✟7,766.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've always prided myself in my ability to read people. I can tell when people are lying, hiding feelings, feeling way uncomfortable, etc. Easily. But I realized something. I can't read attraction. At all. Part of it is because I literally have zero luck with the guys I've liked in the past, and another part is because the only relationship I've ever been in was five years ago and it lasted less than three months. Soooo I don't have much experience.

Which leads to this problem. I'm friends with a guy from my church, and I really like him. My friends and mother have been encouraging me and saying that it's clear he likes me, but I really don't know. He's a very outgoing person, really funny, and is easy to talk to. He could simply be being friendly... or there could be something more there. He honestly looks at me and smiles at me like I've never had a person do before.

But before I list off reasons why I think there's something more there, I thought I'd just ask how can someone tell when someone is interested in them?

I know. I'm almost twenty and I don't know the answer to this haha. I honestly don't have much experience with this so it's hard for me to know for sure. I just don't want to get my hopes up that things will work out with us if they won't. I've gone through a lot of heartbreak and disappointment in the last two years.

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Wait... how does that answer my question? Hahaha

If you go on a road trip, you'll probably have a pleasant experience. Does it really matter if its officially coined a date or not? Your heart has less to lose if you're just going out. If you have a good time, tell him so, and then later ask him to take you someplace else. Repeat as long as you're having fun.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
you talk to him ;)

and don't feel bad about not being able to read him, people in their 50s and older have trouble readng the opposite sex, espcially when they're attracted to a certain person of the opposite sex. When you really like someone it is so easy to read into everything they do and over-analyse every word they say. The only real way to know what the other person is thinking is to have a frank and open conversation.

Upvote 0

BabyLightMyWay

My happiness is found in less of me & more
Nov 9, 2008
USA
✟7,766.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm I think I'll just list some things that made me wonder. I know I shouldn't look toooooo much into little things, but these seemed like big hints:

- He always looks directly at me when he says something funny, even if it's directed at the whole group. It's like he looks to me for affirmation that he's hilarious, and when I laugh, he has this huge smile on his face. And he laughs at every dumb joke I make.
- When I walked into the room, he immediately looked up and smiled at me.
- When I showed him a picture on my phone, he touched my arm and started to tell me a story.
- We went out to eat with some friends, and he put his arm around our booth behind me. Even when I accidentally bumped into his arm with my head, he kept his arm there.
- He was talking to another girl, and when I wandered by ten-ish minutes later, he suddenly forgot about her and started talking to me.
- When he tells a story and is pretending he's talking to another person, he usually uses me as that "other person" (ie: nudging me, whispering to me, etc.)
- He made sure to invite me out to an event that was planned when I wasn't around.
- He stands close to me if we're in a big group and smiles the whole time he talks to me with these big, bright eyes. And even if he talks to someone else, he faces me.

I know I'm nitpicking, but understand that I reallyyyy don't want to go through another disappointment. So I guess this is my attempt at self-preservation haha. He might just be being friendly...

Upvote 0

Oddish

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD.
Jun 20, 2009
✟31,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm I think I'll just list some things that made me wonder. I know I shouldn't look toooooo much into little things, but these seemed like big hints:

- He always looks directly at me when he says something funny, even if it's directed at the whole group. It's like he looks to me for affirmation that he's hilarious, and when I laugh, he has this huge smile on his face. And he laughs at every dumb joke I make.
- When I walked into the room, he immediately looked up and smiled at me.
- When I showed him a picture on my phone, he touched my arm and started to tell me a story.
- We went out to eat with some friends, and he put his arm around our booth behind me. Even when I accidentally bumped into his arm with my head, he kept his arm there.
- He was talking to another girl, and when I wandered by ten-ish minutes later, he suddenly forgot about her and started talking to me.
- When he tells a story and is pretending he's talking to another person, he usually uses me as that "other person" (ie: nudging me, whispering to me, etc.)
- He made sure to invite me out to an event that was planned when I wasn't around.
- He stands close to me if we're in a big group and smiles the whole time he talks to me with these big, bright eyes. And even if he talks to someone else, he faces me.

I know I'm nitpicking, but understand that I reallyyyy don't want to go through another disappointment. So I guess this is my attempt at self-preservation haha. He might just be being friendly...

He likes you. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
switchbuttons.jpg

Upvote 0

BabyLightMyWay

My happiness is found in less of me & more
Nov 9, 2008
USA
✟7,766.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
@ GQ Chris: BAHAHAHA! I enjoyed that. So true.

Thanks, guys. :) I guess I was just getting discouraged because a few of my friends were saying, "Weeeellll he could just be being friendly." Which is true, he could. I'm hoping I'm not reading everything the wrong way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums