I can't find a good denomination for me!

May 27, 2006
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey, I gave my life to christ in July 05', but I was raised catholic, so the idea of a personal relationship with christ was a completely foreign concept to me. I'm 18, and I'm going away to college in the fall, and there's so many options for churches, it's unbelievable. But my problem is I'm torn between catholicism and something like baptist/bible church. I believe in a theistic evolution, a personal relationship with christ, waiting until marriage and so forth. I also don't believe in putting down other's beliefs, and that you won't necessarily go to hell if you don't believe in christ. I'm actually very confused on that latter part, as my ex bf/best friend recently died,and I'm not sure what his faith was really like, but he was such a beautiful and wonderful christian-like guy, that he had to go to heaven! I'm also not that into communion and saints, but also not into evangelizing....I love helping people, just for the good of mankind, like God/Jesus wants me to help people all over the world, and put aside my faith, and just help them. I also believe in peace and basically only peace, and that people shouldn't be persecuted because of their beliefs or sins(depending actually on the sin...like breaking an actual law)
Now if you believe in any of these things, thats great, wonderful, I just don't believe in the things mentioned above that i disagreed with. My question is: What type of church would someone reccommend to someone like me, and I took a online quiz and it said I was a quaker, but I'm not sure if thats quite right...just some advice would be great. thanks

DonVA

May 20, 2006
Virginia
Visit site
✟10,207.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetguitaristgirl88 said:
Hey, I gave my life to christ in July 05', but I was raised catholic, so the idea of a personal relationship with christ was a completely foreign concept to me. I'm 18, and I'm going away to college in the fall, and there's so many options for churches, it's unbelievable. But my problem is I'm torn between catholicism and something like baptist/bible church. I believe in a theistic evolution, a personal relationship with christ, waiting until marriage and so forth. I also don't believe in putting down other's beliefs, and that you won't necessarily go to hell if you don't believe in christ. I'm actually very confused on that latter part, as my ex bf/best friend recently died,and I'm not sure what his faith was really like, but he was such a beautiful and wonderful christian-like guy, that he had to go to heaven! I'm also not that into communion and saints, but also not into evangelizing....I love helping people, just for the good of mankind, like God/Jesus wants me to help people all over the world, and put aside my faith, and just help them. I also believe in peace and basically only peace, and that people shouldn't be persecuted because of their beliefs or sins(depending actually on the sin...like breaking an actual law)
Now if you believe in any of these things, thats great, wonderful, I just don't believe in the things mentioned above that i disagreed with. My question is: What type of church would someone reccommend to someone like me, and I took a online quiz and it said I was a quaker, but I'm not sure if thats quite right...just some advice would be great. thanks
Perhaps you should start at the beginning of Christianity and examine the Eastern Orthodox Church. While there is communion, there is also a great deal of peace, and you would build an extremely close relationship with Christ. It is an ancient style of worship, and when I found myself searching for the proper way in which to glorify God, I found myself returning to this church. For me, it's the One True Faith.

Blessings to you on your journey.

Upvote 0

googol

Jun 6, 2006
Australia
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What you choose is entirely up to you.
I myself am Baptist, which is of the protestant branch. I didn't have to be specifically Baptist, most of the denomination in the protestant branch are somewhat all similar to each other.

I did not go to Catholic, because I don't like the idea hows theres the Pope, then priest - you know the hierarchy. I also they like how if a Catholic marries a protestant, then the children that are bore has to be raised as Catholic.... .... I think

Also be warned of the cult like religions such as Jehovah Witnesses and Church of Later day saints (Mormon) now, I can't tell you to not join them. All I ask you to do is pay special consideration and a good long hard decision making before you join them.

Upvote 0

ElizaE

Apr 10, 2006
Texas
✟15,186.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't like the way you said that Catholics don't have a personal relationship with God. Hmm, so I guess Communion and eating his flesh and drinking his blood is not close enough for you.

I just had to say this because my relationship with Jesus is extremely personal. I don't think that a denomination will give you something unless you already have it within you. It will not magically go, puff, and everything will fall into place. It is a process and you grow in your faith.

I wish you the best and I will not tell you where to go. Please refrain from generalizing.

Upvote 0

googol

Jun 6, 2006
Australia
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
ElizaE said:
I don't like the way you said that Catholics don't have a personal relationship with God. Hmm, so I guess Communion and eating his flesh and drinking his blood is not close enough for you.

I just had to say this because my relationship with Jesus is extremely personal. I don't think that a denomination will give you something unless you already have it within you. It will not magically go, puff, and everything will fall into place. It is a process and you grow in your faith.

I wish you the best and I will not tell you where to go. Please refrain from generalizing.

It's alright, I don't think I ever said that Catholic's had a personal relationship with God. But whatever floats your boat :cool:

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why feel the need to choose a denomination at all? You won't be in complete agreement with any of the "official" doctrines, and no matter what you choose, you'll still be in contact with a loving group of fellow Christians among whom your faith will grow, even if it is somewhat different from theirs.

See that little denomination symbol thingy at the top of this post? All it says is "Christian." I chose that intentionally. I hold no religious alignment but with Chrisitianity as a whole. Having individual differences regarding theological details is one thing, but dividing the Church into factions is entirely another. Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran; as far as I'm concerned, it is all the same God, the same Christ, and that is all that truly matters.

Now, I can't tell you to be like me, or to think like me. If you feel the need to choose one denomination with which to affiliate yourself, by all means, do so. All I would ask is that no matter which you join, above all other classifications and labels, you keep that of "Christian" closest to your heart.

Upvote 0

picnic

Veteran
Jun 20, 2006
UK
✟9,362.00
Faith
Calvinist
You need to find a church that will help you grow and encourage you in you faith. One that will help you to get to know Christ better.

I would encourage you to read the Bible over the summer. Read one of the gospels and be clear to yourself what Christ has done for you. Pray to God that he would lead you to the right church.

As I don't know much about the church situation in the US I can't comment on the differences of the churches. There are some big doctrinal differences between a lot of the churches concerning things like Holy Communion.

picnic

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
sweetguitaristgirl88 said:
My question is: What type of church would someone reccommend to someone like me, and I took a online quiz and it said I was a quaker, but I'm not sure if thats quite right...just some advice would be great. thanks

www.calvarychapel.com

They are everywhere, and there is an electronic map on that site to direct you to the one nearest you. You can even watch (on that site) streaming video from the Church where the movement began.

Pastor Chuck Smith, the founder of the Calvary Chapel movement, was fed up with denominational politics and just wanted to teach the Bible and share Jesus with a lost and dying world.

On a given Sunday at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, California (the "home church" if you could call it that) attendees range from the elderly to surfers, to young family members, to bikers.

This movement has had an effect on the Protestant movement in the worship services bringing the music to a more contemporary style in nearly every denomination. That style comes from the Maranatha Praise bands of Calvary Chapel and the Vineyard praise groups that spun off from Maranatha.

There is also a musicians thread on this message board, by the way.

God bless.

Upvote 0

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟10,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Calvery Chapel might be a great place to attend, Bible based without all the bells and smells, just Jesus!

I might suggest the best place to start though is in the New Testament. Read what Jesus tells us is the Truth about God and not what we like to tell ourselves. See what God says about some of our pet theories and socially acceptable ideas about sin.

The Christian faith is not based on what we believe or like to think, it is based on Jesus Christ alone.
Blessings

Upvote 0

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My advice - if you are still interested is study your Bible. The Bible is our instruction book for life on this earth. In it you will find the answers for which you seek. As far as what church, find a church that looks to the Bible, God's Word for its beliefs and practices, not a man-made creed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angrylittlefisherman

the worst of sinners
Jun 22, 2008
occidental ca
✟15,926.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
eoe has it right. You cannot decide what is good for you when you chose to live has a Christian, you give up yourself. You cannot disregard something because it is not your style or it makes you uncomfortable. We are to be slaves of Christ. Slaves do not have a choice.

Upvote 0

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
eoe has it right. You cannot decide what is good for you when you chose to live has a Christian, you give up yourself. You cannot disregard something because it is not your style or it makes you uncomfortable. We are to be slaves of Christ. Slaves do not have a choice.

I don't get that. I thought when you choose to live as a Christian, you should find yourself at last.

So, find yourself a church that is very involved in community service. It sounds like that is where you might find yourself more fully.

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Even slaves have a choice when their master gives them one. Since God has yet to come down and tell us explicitly which religion/denomination/belief system is correct, I think it is reasonable to say that the most prudent course of action would be to follow the path that seems most correct, most Christ-like, in our own eyes.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It really depends on what you want from a church. With Catholicism you get the authority of the hierarchy, but also a chance to get to know a lot of really neat people who are priests, nuns, laity, etc. But if you want changes- like ordination of women, allowing priests to marry, etc.-it will be frustrating.

With some of the more conservative/fundamentalist groups, you will get authority without the formality and sensuality of Catholicism, and sometimes the demands for conformity may be overwhelming, unless you are just the conforming sort who is willing to buy into the system.

I've seen the sort of online questionnaire where you said yours said you should be Quaker. I think my top three were Quaker, Unitarian, and Methodist (I'm the last of those) probably the same quiz. The thing about Friends (Quakers) is they are conservative in temperment, loving but reserved people, who are soft-spoken and plain (their worship in the smaller groups is called "meeting" and involves everyone sitting around a table), and they are hard to find outside the areas where they already have congregations.

I might recommend experimenting and recognizing it doesn't have to be right every time and we are all in the right place in our own individual spiritual evolutions.

Some things I might recommend trying:

1. Try a more non-formal Catholic Group like the Paulist Center in Boston where Senator John Kerry attends. Catholic student centers at universities are similar. Just walk in and speak to the staff (usually a nun or a monk runs the day-to-day operations and a priest comes in to give Mass).

2. Try a racially mixed conservative congregation with good music and a decided lack of politicization of their services. Be careful before committing to join though-learn how they're structured and avoid ministries which are nepotistic and lack accountability.

3. Try the liberal mainline churches if they're dynamic and diverse. Someone mentioned the Episcopals: Robin Williams (the comic and actor) is one and said they offer "all of the pageantry of Catholicism and none of the guilt" and "male and female, we ordain both". A good recommendation indeed!

Upvote 0