• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I can't feel God

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm on medication right now for my bipolar disorder. It's helping me to stay stable and healthy, but it also has the down side of taking away my ability to communicate with God as clearly as I once did. Before, I used to be able to talk to God and I could see his answers right in front of me and all around me. Now I can no longer do that because my medication clouds up the emotions and thought patterns I once used to be able to feel God. It makes me feel like a failure because I want to be with God, but because of my condition I have to feel far away from Him...

Maybe this is a challenge from God for me to find other ways to connect with Him? Maybe He wants to see if I will continue to try and connect with Him despite having to be on this sort of medication (and it has to be this one because I have other co-occurring conditions that it also treats). If so, I don't want to let God down, so I'll keep working at trying to connect with Him in the ways that I know how.

Anyone else ever feel like God is distant from them? And how do you cope with that?

Reactions: seekingmuch

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm on medication right now for my bipolar disorder. It's helping me to stay stable and healthy, but it also has the down side of taking away my ability to communicate with God as clearly as I once did. Before, I used to be able to talk to God and I could see his answers right in front of me and all around me. Now I can no longer do that because my medication clouds up the emotions and thought patterns I once used to be able to feel God. It makes me feel like a failure because I want to be with God, but because of my condition I have to feel far away from Him...

Maybe this is a challenge from God for me to find other ways to connect with Him? Maybe He wants to see if I will continue to try and connect with Him despite having to be on this sort of medication (and it has to be this one because I have other co-occurring conditions that it also treats). If so, I don't want to let God down, so I'll keep working at trying to connect with Him in the ways that I know how.

Anyone else ever feel like God is distant from them? And how do you cope with that?
I'm not suffering with your issue child, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Often you don't feel God. You just believe and know that He exists. Mountaintop experiences of transfiguration are very few. We endure, as Moses endured, because we believe and see the invisible God (Hebrews 11:27). God bless :).

Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟101,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe it is a challenge from God. It is a real side-effect of the medication you are taking combined with your knowledge of God. You are experiencing what many people experience who are chemically altering their mind with prescription medications. With that said, if you are feeling distant from God, it may also have something to do with what you are believing about Him. Are you born again? Do you know your identity in Christ? Are your resting in the finished work of Jesus Christ? These are just some of the questions I think must be answered because if you feel distant from God, it is probably because you are believing something incorrectly about Him as well as the effects of the medication. Grace and Peace.

• Agree
Reactions: MarleneJ
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i so know what you are talking about, but i was deeply depressed at the same time as well. If this is true for you as well then please keep searching for the right meds, it is a symptom of ongoing depression.

Also, and in particular even, as bi-polar people in our up cycle we can have absolutely heavenly experiences with God and have real close emotional relationship with Him. However such comes to a sad end when depression takes over once more where it seems like God has forsaken us. At least that is how it went in my life. Later on in life i found that for years i served a wonderful emotion state in my heart as a relationship with God, and my depressive spells as His punishments on my sinner soul, but when they put me on meds that came to an end and God seemed to disappear completely. i had to relearn to appreciate God knowing Him through His Word in my heart as the Spirit of Love before that horrible feeling that God wasn't with me left me and consequently my depressive spells lifted enormously.

When i went on medicine the search lasted for many years to find the right ones. In the mean time each anti-depressant on the market either depressed me or turned me manic while anti-psychotic medications all made me depressed and left me bereft of God in the pit. i spend years searching for the right medicines often suicidally depressed, it was awful. i sincerely hope you get this sorted. No good feeling like God isn't with you, i absolutely hated it.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,333.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

The Scripture says that those who are justified in Christ shall live by faith. Faith is the act of believing what the Bible says about God and Jesus. According to that faith, we follow the instructions that are written in the Bible to us. Jesus said that blessed are those who have seen and believed, but blessed are they who have not seen and believed. We believe in a God we can't see, touch, or feel. There is an error teaching that one has to "feel" God to know that He is with us. The truth is that we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in our spirit, not in our emotions. The Scripture says that Jesus sticks closer to us than a brother, and that He would never leave us nor forsake us. We either believe that or we don't. We don't have to feel or sense the presence of God in order to have saving and sanctifying faith. We are to get on with our lives, developing the fruit of the Spirit in our lives, and if we have times that we sense the presence of God with us, that will be a bonus and not the norm. The norm for us is that we live our lives according to our daily routines, believing that God is with us whether we feel Him or not.

Our faith is either in the written Word of God or in our emotions. But our emotions make up an unstable platform for faith, but the Word of God never changes and therefore it is a rock. Building our Christian lives on emotions is building our spiritual house on the sand, and the house will fall when the storms of life come. But a house built on the rock of the Word of God will never fall, no matter what storms of life hit us from time to time.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are definitely times when we feel distant from God and there are times when it feels like He is very near. The truth is, though, that when you have given your life to Jesus Christ and have been reborn spiritually, God is always close to you, whether you feel it or not. Do you believe you have given your life to Christ as Lord and Savior?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

I cannot feel God's presence when I am depressed. I have also noticed that when I am on my mood stabilizers, I do not ever experience the ecstasy of his presence. It is a sad loss.

Mother Theresa felt very close to God when she was young, talking with him, etc. Then as an adult, it was like she became deaf to the Lord. It wracked her with doubts. She wrote about all of this in her diary, which was published after her death. And yet, despite the silence, she maintained her faith in Him. She loved and served him until her death. This is why she has been declared a Saint.

John 20:29 Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Meds can do that to you. Most days I feel like I can't feel anything due to the Latuda. I've prayed to God about my general lack of emotions due to my meds for two years and pretty much no answers from him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Meds can do that to you. Most days I feel like I can't feel anything due to the Latuda. I've prayed to God about my general lack of emotions due to my meds for two years and pretty much no answers from him.

Upvote 0