I bought my family a bunny on a whim (4 smiling, wide eyed begging kids...)

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I bought this bunny at the State Fair tonight. We can't pick her up until tomorrow evening after Best in Show. She's a Mini Satin, apparently very rare according to the Google.

I was thinking a bowl of pellets, water, some hay as bedding, and we're good to go!

I get home and something triggers the fatherly instincts... Nothing is ever that simple. Let's take a look...

Oh my goodness, these creatures require infinitely more care than I thought. But not to fear, I (and they) are up for it!

Tomorrow before we pick her up we will be getting a rabbit pen (not a cage), a soft comfy bed, a litter box (they are super clean and like to use a toilet area and are very trainable for this), some blankies, dark leafy greens, pellets, grass hay, and probably more I'm not thinking about.

This $50 bunny turned into $130 because I have to pay fair entrance fees to pick her up tomorrow, and my "oh a hundred bucks to get use started at most" will now likely be a few hundred.

Lol but I can't wait. Very excited to get her home.

@Michie

137.jpeg

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
how old are your children? older I hope as bunnies don't make good pets for kids under age seven

be careful as some rabbits are skittish and don't like to be handled...my sister had a dwarf rabbit but she was 10

Does a Rabbit Make a Good Pet for a Child?
1 is under 7 and the oldest is 13. Everything about the Mini Satin says it's the perfect rabbit for children.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
mini satin do sound like a great rabbit!

just be careful with your youngest re mini satin:

"They also require a gentle and patient hand while being interacted with.
Therefore, they may not be the best option for younger kids who are just learning to interact with animals"
She handled abandoned kittens we raised when she was 2 1/2 before we found them homes when they became young adults, and has grown up with a runt Shih Tzu. She's gentle and will be fine.

I know you're well meaning right now but there's always someone who tries to say something is a bad idea, be careful (as if we didn't know), etc.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know you're well meaning right now but there's always someone who tries to say something is a bad idea, be careful (as if we didn't know), etc.

well your post said "bought on a whim!" which triggered my concern

it's like adding another toddler to family as one bunny article stated

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
well you post said "bought on a whim!"
I didn't pack the car today thinking I'd buy a rabbit. That's the whim. She will also require more care than I thought.

That doesn't make me clueless though. I'm well aware that a small child shouldn't be left alone with a small bunny. I'm functional enough to have looked into the care she will need before shopping tomorrow. I do get it though. Scrubbing Bubbles has to put a warning on the bottle that it isn't body wash. We are surrounded by people who will shock you with their stupidity. We even had the woman who put gorilla glue in her hair recently if you recall the story. But those people aren't most of us and certainly not me.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I acquired a fairly nice rabbit in 2017. They are very quick to learn about their litter box and fairly easy to care for. He occasionally eats some of our dinner and his favorite treat is dried blueberries. However, over the course of four years, he is now the undisputed master of the house and occasionally lets my wife out of her cage (bedroom) and play in his habitat (the rest of the house).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums