I bet we can agree that racism is hurtful and wrong (Moved from American Politics)

Racism is hurtful and wrong

• Total voters

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently nobody here has been a victim of racism.

Is racism an actual problem? Is it made up? Are there racist people?

As a minority in the US Midwest, I experienced a situation where, after working in a position for nearly 10 years, to the satisfaction of all of my supervision and work-mates (I received above-average to excellent work reviews every year of 35 years of employment), I was rather inexplicably sidelined by a member of my management team.

The first signs were his "suggestions" that perhaps I needed to seek out a new position in the company. By the end of our 4-year association, he wouldn't even speak to me (when he wasn't being ovbserved) when we ran into each other at work. And that was hard because our work-areas were adjacent. The situation ended with his advancement and my being sidelined from continuing in the area of work where I was most comfortable and accomplished.

Due to the intervention of other members of management, my career was salvaged, but I never was able to achieve continuity in my preferred area of endeavor. And my employer was never able to find a suitable replacement for me in the role where I had enduring success for ultimately almost 15 years. They've struggled in this area to this day.

It was only years later that it was confided to me that this individual had attempted similar actions with other minority employees, sometimes suceeding, sometimes not. I survived, but there was a toll taken. I struggled with depression for a couple years after. I had a hard time believing that someone would target me that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
how can christianity be a religion of peace when priests burned 40 000 women.

Interestingly enough, Christianity remained rather peaceful until the rise of another religion roughly 600 years later. I'm not saying that this religion was the sole cause of the "conversation by the sword " approach, but it was a major factor.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Interestingly enough, Christianity remained rather peaceful until the rise of another religion roughly 600 years later. I'm not saying that this religion was the sole cause of the "conversation by the sword " approach, but it was a major factor.
Actually church history indicates the rise of the 'secular arm', was the impetus for that abuse. True Christian discipline is related to preaching in church and interfaith discipline, there is no imperative in the Scriptures for Christians to impose their faith, only share it.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Actually church history indicates the rise of the 'secular arm', was the impetus for that abuse. True Christian discipline is related to preaching in church and interfaith discipline, there is no imperative in the Scriptures for Christians to impose their faith, only share it.

Even after the secular arm, it was relatively violence free until the rise of Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire in the 800s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Constantine did his thing during the fourth century and the Roman Catholic church kind of assumed power over it's rivals just after 1000 AD. The Crusades and the Inquisition followed in the wake. Like all political power, it's when you have assumed control that the real dangers present themselves, especially when you are unassailable. The US is almost there and it has little to do with religion, it has everything to do with power and how you wield it.

Even after the secular arm, it was relatively violence free until the rise of Constantine and the Holy Roman Empire in the 800s.

Constantine lived in the 4th century dude, the church was probably 20% of the Roman Empire at that point. It was hundreds of years before abuses started to get pronounced, the purge of the Gnostic professing Christians not withstanding. The secular arm was not really that much a part of it early as it was later. After the strange transformation of the RCC at the turn of the Millennium is where I think the real problem presented itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jovanovic

Jun 13, 2017
malmö
✟9,951.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

not really. the apostles with the help of god did attack some kings with blindness, snakes and stuff.

and the copts did do alot of violence before the rise of constannine.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Constantine did his thing during the fourth century and the Roman Catholic church kind of assumed power over it's rivals just after 1000 AD. The Crusades and the Inquisition followed in the wake. Like all political power, it's when you have assumed control that the real dangers present themselves, especially when you are unassailable. The US is almost there and it has little to do with religion, it has everything to do with power and how you wield it.

I actually meant Charlemagne. Sorry, had a medical procedure done today and in a bit of pain, so I am not at the top of my game.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you agree that racism is hurtful and wrong?

Looks like out of the 25 votes....we all chose yes, it is hurtful and wrong.

So without reading....I'm wondering what all these pages are discussing. Is it the definition of racism itself?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can't wait to see the semantics and "what do you mean by racism" mental gymnastics by some of the whites here.

What do you mean by semantics? Surely you're aware that there's a definition of racism....and there's a group of liberals trying to change that definition into something else? That's old news. It also means that asking what someone means by "racism" is a legitimate question.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean by semantics? Surely you're aware that there's a definition of racism....and there's a group of liberals trying to change that definition into something else? That's old news. It also means that asking what someone means by "racism" is a legitimate question.

*Progressives.

• Agree
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

There are others trying to change it too. We get people who have said on here "I have no desire to do physical harm to blacks, therefore I'm not racist".

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Asking for clarification is by no means "mental gymnastics". Some people use the actual definition of racism, others use the "SJW" definition of racism, and by that definition, anyone who asks for clarification on what racism is, is racist.

How come it's kosher to attack whites here? I feel I need to know if anyone has used phrases like "by some of the [] here" with any other race, and how well that went for them.
That's actually pretty racist to lump the 'whites' all into one mindset.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, under the SJW definition, If a white person says "I hate [insert race here]" It's not racism? (unless one is discriminating based on race)
Hating someone because of their skin color (something they have no control over) is racist.

• Agree
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why were they looking for a black person?
How would I know? I was surprised they admitted it, and too young to see what was happening. They probably had an affirmative action thing going. Which is racism, in and of itself.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
How would I know? I was surprised they admitted it, and too young to see what was happening. They probably had an affirmative action thing going. Which is racism, in and of itself.

But then the second time it happened, you didn't ask? What kind of jobs are these?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But then the second time it happened, you didn't ask? What kind of jobs are these?
Where did I say it happened a second time? Frankly, I want to work for people who want me to work for them, so I didn't really take offense. I moved on, and found another job, rather than whine about it.

Upvote 0