New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't quite smiling because my shiny red shirt seems to have momentarily attracted a hummingbird. I was sitting outside on my kids swing set enjoying the cool morning temps. Plus, my yard looks nice right now. I was looking down while deep in thought and I looked up to see a hummingbird hovering maybe 6 ft up to my left. It was delightful really. It twisted its body funny almost in confusion as it hovered before turning and flying away. Feeling a bit enchanted right now and praising the Lord! Sweetness!!

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Congrats !!!

I've got them coming to my nectar feeder 2 and three at a time. Most any time of day I could see one but they really come in strong in the morning once it's light out till 10:00ish,then again after 3:00 till sunset. I need to bring it in and make up a new batch of nectar. Supposed to freshen it up every few days and 2-3 days in hot weather. The best thing is just cane sugar and water in a feeder with a red top and bottom. Forget that commercial red stuff, the birds barely touch it and it's not very good for them anyway. I went by Smithsonian and Audubon suggested recipe. 1/4 cup sugar to a cup of bottled water,makes a cup actually as the sugar just melts in with 30 seconds in the microwave. 4-1 ratio they say.Immediately the birds that came in started feeding instead of rejecting. I have two species of them coming in.

They come to the flowers around here too but I noticed less activity this year. Not now.

By the end of Sept they will depart this area though. Amazing little birds, fascinating really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Baltimore Oreoles are my next target, been studying up on them. I have a pair or two that stop off here in the spring for a day or so and move on. They like a similar feeder with larger holes for the bigger beak , different nectar blend. And they like oranges and grape jelly lol. I'll give them a whirl next year.

I have all sorts of birds here, bunches of woodpeckers come to my suit feeder. Cardinals, chickadees. Less catbirds than I used to get but still some. I really enjoy the birds.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0