• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I am worrying about something

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember having some issues about my kitchen being cleaned and tidied. I remember leaving bread outside of the cupboard and I was bored to put it in. some random thoughts without my will popped up in my head like "God I will put it soon" or something like that, but they were thoughts without my will I do not know why I thought that.

that created a compulsion to always put the bread into the cupboard in case it is out, before the midnight.

it was an easy compulsion so I was doing it for days. when I tried to stop doing it some thoughts were popping up like "you talked to God about the bread, maybe it is not a compulsion but a real promise" and with that I kept doing the compulsion/promise. the thoughts were without my will.

Today, I forgot to put the bread in the cupboard before midnight and I freaked cause my thoughts about it were like " maybe this is not a compulsion but a real promise that maybe must be kept just because maybe the thoughts were send to God about this matter" but still these were random thoughts without my will. but a part of me was acting as if they count, without my will.

Did God made the promise valid by seeing me acting like that?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember having some issues about my kitchen being cleaned and tidied. I remember leaving bread outside of the cupboard and I was bored to put it in. some random thoughts without my will popped up in my head like "God I will put it soon" or something like that, but they were thoughts without my will I do not know why I thought that.

that created a compulsion to always put the bread into the cupboard in case it is out, before the midnight.

it was an easy compulsion so I was doing it for days. when I tried to stop doing it some thoughts were popping up like "you talked to God about the bread, maybe it is not a compulsion but a real promise" and with that I kept doing the compulsion/promise. the thoughts were without my will.

Today, I forgot to put the bread in the cupboard before midnight and I freaked cause my thoughts about it were like " maybe this is not a compulsion but a real promise that maybe must be kept just because maybe the thoughts were send to God about this matter" but still these were random thoughts without my will. but a part of me was acting as if they count, without my will.

Did God made the promise valid by seeing me acting like that?
I don’t even see what you said as a promise, but rather just a remark in a conversation.

I would say “don’t worry about it” but I understand you are having difficulties with your OCD, so I would just remind you that God is a loving God, wanting the best for you, not out to condemn you.

Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you remember the story of Martha and Mary in the Bible? Mary sat at Jesus' feet listening to him while Mary was keeping busy with dinner prep and bustling about. Jesus said that Mary was doing the right thing. He doesn't care at all if you've put the bread away today or even tomorrow. Sit at his feet and listen to what he tells you, not the OCD.

Upvote 0