Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just finish an online 'test' of my educational achievement. I ranked as completing my "Master's degree". I am a high school grad who finished barely in the top half of my class. Worse yet, I wouldn't have given me credit for any college level achievement based on some of the questions I got wrong.

What are the people who compose these tests thinking? :scratch:

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Just finish an online 'test' of my educational achievement. I ranked as completing my "Master's degree". I am a high school grad who finished barely in the top half of my class. Worse yet, I wouldn't have given me credit for any college level achievement based on some of the questions I got wrong.

I dropped out of high school took ged test. Said my reading comprehension was at college level. That was because read bible.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dropped out of high school took ged test. Said my reading comprehension was at college level. That was because read bible.

Amen to that. The late Herbert W. Armstrong opined that "A good knowledge of the bible was equivalent (in terms of useful knowledge) to a college education".

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don’t have a graduate degree but I read over 200 books per year; primarily nonfiction and classics. I consume educational material at a rate and volume more significant than the norm. That’s true for most dedicated lifelong learners.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Usually they are designed for idiots who get an announcement that they are a stable genius by pressing a green or red button and if they pay just another 4.99 they get diploma and the title of “Smarter than Harvard guy”

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They're thinking Got another one to visit my page (and maybe even sharing it) so I can get more Ad Views & easy money.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

A test for what? Maybe? I've read that the education system has been dumbing itself down for decades now. Not meaning it as any insult, just that what counts as higher education may have been lower education in the past. I took some IT classes last year. Was shocked how easy it was. For most of the tests I ranked at the top of my class. Yet the straight A's I received did not really feel valid.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don’t have a graduate degree but I read over 200 books per year; primarily nonfiction and classics. I consume educational material at a rate and volume more significant than the norm. That’s true for most dedicated lifelong learners.

~Bella

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

Independent learning is often much more rewarding than school based learning.

Can't remember the exact quote but it was from the Everybody Hates Chris show. Chris was reading a newspaper on the bus and his inner voice was narrating that he learned more on the way to school than he ever learned at school. Sadly this is probably more and more true as the years go on.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow, that's pretty impressive.

Thank you. I wanted to improve my writing skills. I created an apprenticeship (comprised of four authors) and got to work. I shared my stats on my Simple Abundance thread with screenshots for several years.

Independent learning is often much more rewarding than school based learning.

I still take courses and subscribe to multiple educational platforms. That’s really the difference. I’m soaking up knowledge continuously. I don’t watch telly. That is my television. Now I push myself to see how far I can go.

Chris was reading a newspaper on the bus and his inner voice was narrating that he learned more on the way to school than he ever learned at school. Sadly this is probably more and more true as the years go on.

I think there’s some truth in that. I take advantage of my learning style and tailor my consumption accordingly. Schools don’t employ them often.

Overall, there’s a greater focus on believing than reasoning and deduction for my tastes.

~Bella

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I still take courses and subscribe to multiple educational platforms. That’s really the difference. I’m soaking up knowledge continuously. I don’t watch telly. That is my television. Now I push myself to see how far I can go.

I agree that courses can still have value. My intention is not to knock the profession of teaching down. Just worried, especially considering the public's response during the recent pandemic. I have been reading personal testimonies from teachers who have been teaching for decades. Many report to inner corruption such as artificially inflating grades to meet state expectations. One teacher said they found an old textbook dating to the 1940s. She was shocked to discover how advanced it was in level compared to the modern textbooks they had.

I think there’s some truth in that. I take advantage of my learning style and tailor my consumption accordingly. Schools don’t employ them often.

Yeah, a lot of what I am studying I doubt many education systems cover.

Overall, there’s a greater focus on believing than reasoning and deduction for my tastes.

~Bella

I remember in high school we took a few days learning about how to game the system with scantron tests. It wasn't technically cheating, but it really defeated the purpose of what school should be about. This was in Minnesota mind you. A state that is probably better off in the public school department than many parts of the country. Can't imagine what happens elsewhere.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I want to try now :) I've ordained by the internet so I'll let the internet give me a master's degree :)

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I cannot help but think of this scene from The Simpsons. Fun fact Dan Castellaneta the voice actor for Homer Simpson was originally supposed to spell out the word "smart" out loud correctly, but for whatever reason he spelled the word "smrt" unintentionally. The producers thought the blooper was funny enough to put it into the actual show.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I go through at least 20 books a week!

I dont know what it is but i just go mental when i see a book and just have to rip it to shreds! :oops:

Those better not be Labella's books..

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Many report to inner corruption such as artificially inflating grades to meet state expectations. One teacher said they found an old textbook dating to the 1940s. She was shocked to discover how advanced it was in level compared to the modern textbooks they had.

It happens. They’re under a lot of pressure to meet teaching standards. When I went to college remedial classes didn’t exist. They assumed you were prepared to do college-level work.

I remember in high school we took a few days learning about how to game the system with scantron tests. It wasn't technically cheating, but it really defeated the purpose of what school should be about. This was in Minnesota mind you.

We had a teacher in grammar school who had an afternoon toke during lunch. When we returned from recess she passed out the scantrons and provided the answers on several sections.

Needless to say she was fired. That was a Catholic school! :p

~Bella

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A test for what? Maybe? I've read that the education system has been dumbing itself down for decades now. Not meaning it as any insult, just that what counts as higher education may have been lower education in the past. I took some IT classes last year. Was shocked how easy it was. For most of the tests I ranked at the top of my class. Yet the straight A's I received did not really feel valid.

Absolutely agree. I have my parent's yearbooks from the 1920's. The level of literary achievement demonstrated is amazing, especially writing composition skills. No wonder they called it "high" school. It should be renamed "low" school today as it certainly has been dumbed down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0