I am trying to convert a Muslim and I could use a hand debunking this video he brought up.

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
You aren't going to "convert" a Muslim that wants to reject Jesus because even if you prove that Muhammed had sex with a 9 year old girl in wedlock that won't persuade him to abandon Islam. There are other arguments that can be made but the problem you may end up having is a lack of intellectual honesty which often accompanies the religion when it comes to their arguments.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,656.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How will settling the age of [Muhammad?]'s wife win this person to Jesus...? :scratch:

I would guess that given that Islam is based on the word of one 'prophet', if that one prophet was shown to be a person of poor character (someone who would marry a nine year old child) then the whole house of cards comes down. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Sarsath

Feb 20, 2018
Wisconsin
✟51,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You aren't going to "convert" a Muslim that wants to reject Jesus because even if you prove that Muhammed had sex with a 9 year old girl in wedlock that won't persuade him to abandon Islam. There are other arguments that can be made but the problem you may end up having is a lack of intellectual honesty which often accompanies the religion when it comes to their arguments.
But it is good to at least try to show them that Muhammad was not a good person.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would guess that given that Islam is based on the word of one 'prophet', if that one prophet was shown to be a person of poor character (someone who would marry a nine year old child) then the whole house of cards comes down.
Not if it was typical for the culture at the time (even if wrong).

Contemporary people have the same objection to the likelihood that Mary was a young teen when God made her pregnant.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Aisha was awfully young by any standard.

You might also explore the polygamy angle, which denies many young men the opportunity to marry while others have multiple wives.

But the approaches I think might have better success are 1.) the historicity of the Bible vs the Koran, 2.) the 'peace' of Islam vs the peace of Jesus.

But mostly I think a negative approach is probably a turn-off. What highly positive reasons can you give for faith? Let's say you were St. Francis and you wanted to convert the Sultan. What would you say that would be appealing and not just arguing about Aisha?

Upvote 0

Sarsath

Feb 20, 2018
Wisconsin
✟51,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Aisha was awfully young by any standard.

You might also explore the polygamy angle, which denies many young men the opportunity to marry while others have multiple wives.

But the approaches I think might have better success are 1.) the historicity of the Bible vs the Koran, 2.) the 'peace' of Islam vs the peace of Jesus.

But mostly I think a negative approach is probably a turn-off. What highly positive reasons can you give for faith? Let's say you were St. Francis and you wanted to convert the Sultan. What would you say that would be appealing and not just arguing about Aisha?
Well, if I were Saint Francis, I would try to show that Muhammad was wrong about the globe.
Contrary to popular belief, medieval Christians did not think that the Earth was flat.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
But it is good to at least try to show them that Muhammad was not a good person.
If they can't see by his history regardless of the 9 year old girl it isn't going to change things. Muhammed had a history of "changing" the rules to suit himself as does Islam. delve deep into Muhammed's history of war and killing people and lies and more lies in Islam. Typically the main way to win people to Christ is to compare him to Muhammed and convince him that in Christianity Jesus is our doorway or Prophet to God while Muhammed usurps this job and is nowhere near as "good" as Jesus is.

• Agree
Reactions: chad kincham
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that while he married her at nine he waited until she was older. It’s been a long time since I took that Islamic history class in the 70s . I’m glad I took that class as I didn’t have a hissy fit just after 9/11 . People who actually knew Muslims at the time didn’t either .

Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0

Sarsath

Feb 20, 2018
Wisconsin
✟51,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My understanding is that while he married her at nine he waited until she was older. It’s been a long time since I took that Islamic history class in the 70s . I’m glad I took that class as I didn’t have a hissy fit just after 9/11 . People who actually knew Muslims at the time didn’t either .
Even if that is true. Child marriage is still wrong.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,150.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Islam is based on lies and deception. The Koran permits deception if it is to further the cause of Islam. Mohamed was a murdering paedophile who lied and deceived his way to an empire. His methods make Hitler look almost noble in comparison. Now Muslims claim that Mohamed is the ideal man. If he is your role model, you can expect Christians and Jews to be murdered and oppressed, terror to be used to intimidate non-Muslims, violence and conquest to be the way of spreading Islam. Which is exactly what has been happening since Mohamed came on the scene.

People can caricature Lord Jesus, insult His grace and make jokes about Him. Christians may get annoyed but they do not kill the offenders. We leave justice to God, who is big enough to laugh off the pettiness of ignorant mankind. Say a word against the Koran or Mohamed and your life is in danger. That is the kind of mentality that you deal with when you are dealing with Islam.

There are several books written by former Muslims and scholars who know Islam intimately. I suggest that you read up as much as you can. Tread carefully as it is easy to offend a Muslim. Many Muslims are seeing the vanity and emptiness of Islam. Many Muslims in Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan, some of the most dangerous nations on earth, are rejecting Islam and receiving Christ. No one is arguing those people into salvation. Christians are showing great love and compassion to those who hate and oppress them. That speaks far louder than an intellectual debate. Personally, I would be talking in terms of the God who can be known, the God of love, mercy and grace, the God who sent His Son to die for sinners. Islam knows nothing of a personal relationship with God.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even if that is true. Child marriage is still wrong.
WE think so , THEY didn’t . That was the 7th century after all . None of the abrahamic faiths treated women as if they were anything but property to be treated as the men wished

• Agree
Reactions: JosephZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,150.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
All of you have the misconception that Muhammad didn’t know about Jesus. He’s actually considered to be a prophet in Islam. They call him Isa
All of you? That's a sweeping statement. Mohamed knew about Jesus, but Islam relegates Jesus to be inferior to Mohamed. Islam also claims that Jesus was not crucified but died and was buried, not raised from the dead. Their version of Jesus is not the real, risen King of Kings and Lord of Lords

Upvote 0

Sarsath

Feb 20, 2018
Wisconsin
✟51,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Islam is based on lies and deception. The Koran permits deception if it is to further the cause of Islam. Mohamed was a murdering paedophile who lied and deceived his way to an empire. His methods make Hitler look almost noble in comparison. Now Muslims claim that Mohamed is the ideal man. If he is your role model, you can expect Christians and Jews to be murdered and oppressed, terror to be used to intimidate non-Muslims, violence and conquest to be the way of spreading Islam. Which is exactly what has been happening since Mohamed came on the scene.

People can caricature Lord Jesus, insult His grace and make jokes about Him. Christians may get annoyed but they do not kill the offenders. We leave justice to God, who is big enough to laugh off the pettiness of ignorant mankind. Say a word against the Koran or Mohamed and your life is in danger. That is the kind of mentality that you deal with when you are dealing with Islam.

There are several books written by former Muslims and scholars who know Islam intimately. I suggest that you read up as much as you can. Tread carefully as it is easy to offend a Muslim. Many Muslims are seeing the vanity and emptiness of Islam. Many Muslims in Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan, some of the most dangerous nations on earth, are rejecting Islam and receiving Christ. No one is arguing those people into salvation. Christians are showing great love and compassion to those who hate and oppress them. That speaks far louder than an intellectual debate. Personally, I would be talking in terms of the God who can be known, the God of love, mercy and grace, the God who sent His Son to die for sinners. Islam knows nothing of a personal relationship with God.
Amen, but I could use some Quran verses and Hadiths showing how immoral and bonkers Islam is.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

you could say the same thing about medieval Christianity. Let’s get real , modern Christianity has changed from being what most of us would consider to be barbarous and sadist behavior

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Agree
Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0