• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I am tired, but I when I try to go to bed, I can't remember how to fall asleep, Help?

bipolarbear

Legend
Jun 7, 2007
✟20,419.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the title pretty much says it... Since my meds increase, I have been having problems falling asleep. It is like I forget how to sleep. I am tired, and I want to sleep, I try to relax, I sometimes even start to drift, (not even really thinking of much) then I snap back awake. It is very frustrating!

I was on 75mg of Lamictal twice daily, and it was raised to 100mg twice daily, that has been the only change. Oh, and I started eating healthier too. I have also been feeling more happy, but I know at times it is too happy, you know? My mind is not racing, and I am not having obsessive thoughts like one tract mind thinking.

Tonight is the first night that I am not in bed laying still trying to remember how to fall asleep. My Beloved said I could be up this week, but that I had to get up early in the morning with him. That will be so hard. It is much easier right now to sleep in the morning or douring the day because I am so tired!

My Beloved is a very light sleeper and even wears earplugs. When I move to get more comfortable, he moves too, and wakes up a little bit. I feel really bad, because I know he is not getting as good of a nights sleep as he was getting before the meds increase. I like the meds increase. (I seem to be able to cope with things better, and focus on trying harder to be healthy! I fell nornal, kindof ,and happy, or at least it's not as easy to rapid cycle into depressed states throughtout the day.)

I do Not want to be on sleeping meds. I tried those once, paid $50.00 copay and only took one pill. Gave me terable how do you spell it... halucinations, they woke me up, I was almost ready to scream! I kept looking in the room, and I could see them, but I also knew they were Not real... :( Sacred my Beloved so much you know! I cannot go through that again! I am already have nightmares again when I sleep!

I also very much know diet, excercise and a regular sleeping pattern are very important. It helps with the Bipolar. Now my sleeping is messed up. I got a migrane head ache today, it was not fun! I am very sad about this situation. Right now I want to be curled up next to my Beloved, but I am having hurt feelings at the thought of him not sleeping well becaue I cannot find sleep... :cry: Very sad times! :cry:

Any advice, past experiences, please not to scary with details, or any suggestions that will help?

Bipolarbear :yawn: Looking for :sleep: Please :help:... :sigh:

tommyfade

Jul 30, 2009
✟15,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am also on Lamictal and have trouble sleeping. I don't know if it is from that drug or not. I have had trouble sleeping before I started to take Lamictal.

I do sometimes take Ambien to help me sleep. My doctor is recomending that I try something else to help my sleep. I guess we will see how it goes.

I would suggest talking to your medical doctor about this issue and see if this could be the problem.

Upvote 0

Brinmar

Aug 31, 2009
The Cave
✟7,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so glad I didn't want my Dr to put me on Lamital! I didn't want it because one of the side affects is an allergic reaction - and I've had enough of that - don't want medication to add to the mix of allergies. I have "forgotten" how to sleep too. I'll go for 3 or 4 nights without sleep - and won't feel tired or sleep extra afterwards. I've just forgotton how to fall asleep. Where's the off switch??

Upvote 0

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
your reaction to sleeping med sounds like mine I hade when I was prescribed trazadone for sleep. . .ugh one pill and hallucinations and I now list it as an allergy not because it is one, but because I never want to live through that again. Yes, I have had horrible time sleeping at times. falling asleep, staying asleep and going back to sleep. Mine was not mania or med related. So sounds like you need to check out the med thing-maybe with some time you will adjust to the new dose??? I also had to use ambien for awhile, but chose only to take it in 3-5 day spurts so that my body would not become use to it. I finally went to an insomnia class my insurance company offered and they sent me to a certified sleep counselor and it was helpful. reduced my night time wake ups some. I already limit caffeine to one ice tea when I get up and then one can cola before noon. Then no more caffeine for the day. I take GABA for anxiety only and it helps me with that. So anyway, after the sleep counselor, eventually I ended up with a Alphastim machine that helps me with sleep and a SAD light box that helps me wake up in the am. Then finally for me as I had some many issue with he depression half of the spectrum I also ended up on the prescription for Deplin (which is a methylated version of folic acid that easily crosses the blood brain barrier0and thus my insurance company does not pay for but Pamlor has a discount coupon for and runs just under $2 a pill) and with all those modifications from the help and adjustments to my day and sleep that my counselor gave me and all the others stuff, I sleep okay on my meds and can function. Let me know if you would like more info about what the sleep counselor said.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My best wishes fellow watchers of the night.

I found that nothing helped my sleep apart of acceptance of the fact that I often can't sleep.

Talking with Jesus is a excellent way to spend the night. Bible open, love for God, neighbour and self, awake within, and see for yourself the things He imparts to those who stay awake.

For we have ten virgins in the parable, and then you got us, we been awake the whole time, but do have to learn to look the right Way to see the Bridegroom appear out of the night leading us into the Feast Hall.

What Joy does He imparts? And His ability to fight depression and love's stability to keep the mania in hand, and patience and endurance, Oh how I loved receiving all that! All real life supports come from His Brotherly Hand.

Currently I sleep well, I don't know for how long this will last. For me it was the hours of loneliness that got to me, at first I still used to wake Yvonne up sometimes, just to hear her voice and calm down a bit during times of mania, now that doesn't happen any more, I have learned to cope!

I love the sunrise the best! How blessed we are if we wake till dawn spiritually? He is not called The Morning Star for nothing, what joy those angels of lights ray bring in a love searching heart? Unbelievable!

Happy waking hours!

:hug:

Oh before I forget, sleep whenever you get tired is my way of dealing with sleepless times. When tired SLEEP, even 10 minutes add up after 3 or 4 times and can make a world of difference.

My doctors kept going by the book, to keep distinct sleeping hours and B-dust like that, but then I never slept at all and only became more frustrated with myself. Sleeping when tired solves that problem and still brings some added sleep into my life. Most of last year I slept like this 2-3 hours a day I was making then, better than nothing though! Currently I sleep good, 5-6 hours a night, I don't know for how long, it doesn't really matter!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was on Lamictal a few years ago and it made my insomnia worse. Google the side-effects and I'm pretty sure you'll find insomnia listed. It was just as you describe for me too.

I now take the amino acid GABA to control the hypomania and love it.

Hi friend,

You are taking GABA, would you mind telling me a bit more about that?

My psychologist recommended it, but we can't get it at the Chemist so we ordered it online and got ripped off. Yvonne hasn't tried again.

But I have always remained interested in GABA as I have heard some good reports and still hope to try it one day, it is just getting Yvonne to order it in, for I never go to town or anything. This makes it a bit harder to get!

But if it is worth it then I might have to renew my efforts getting it!

Looking forward hearing from you.

Thanks

:wave:

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find the best medicine for dealing with my BP induced insomnia is a plant. Just have to get the proper strain of it depending on if I'm manic or depressed.

Yes I agree, but it is nevertheless not good for all!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tiberius

Jun 28, 2005
✟6,911.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
drugs like caffeine don't actually wake ypu up, they just make it hard for you to go to sleep. Your medicine might be working the same way.

I suggest that you speak to your doctor about the problem. They might be able to recommend a different medication that does the same job, but without the stimulant effect.

Upvote 0

Alive again

A daughter of the King of Kings!
Feb 21, 2005
Pacific Northwest, USA
✟23,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amazon.com: Sound Sleep, Sound Mind: 7 Keys to Sleeping Through the Night (9780471650645): Barry Krakow: Books

Sleep Treatment - Sleep Treatment - At the Forefront of Sleep Medicine

Insomnia: Guide to causes and drug-free cures including CBT

Okay, my sleeo therapist based on other nations pratices and research felt that mood disorders were actually rooted in sleep disorders. Not sure if I buy into that one, but I can say that sleep doe simpact my moods.

She had me keep a sleep journal on shen I went to bed and when I got up and how many hours sleeo I got for two weeks. Then she looked it over and told me to sleep less!!!! We eventually foudn out that although I have always been someone to sleep 10-12 hours and that was what I defined as a good night's sleep, that I had changed and now do best with about 7-7.5 hours sleep and that I was trying to get too much sleep and contributing to the difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. It honestly helped and I felt more rested upon awakening. She discussed mealtonin, but it was a smaller dose taken earlier in the evening than I had ever used. She said avoid computer tv in the later evening as the lights from these are very bright like sunlight nad mess with your sleep wake cycle. (UGH) She said only use your bed for sleep and sex. do not read in bed watch tv in bed etc. If you are having trouble fallin asleep with thoughts of things needing to be done, write them down and deal with them in the am. She said do not lay there and think I'll never get enough saleep,now I'll be tired tomorrow I have to get to sleep etc or clock watch. USe CBT to deal with these thoughts or you are setting yourself up to NOT sleep. If you are laying there and connot sleep get up and sit in a chair in dim light ( as bright light wakes you up) and read (or prya) until you become sleepy then get into bed. The idea is to do something light and none stimulating in dim light to facilitate sleepiness . Caffeine is very slowly metabolized aand I think 50% was stilli n your body 24 hours later. This is why I chose to limit my caffeine to early morning hours. Cool room temp facilitate sleep (not cold) And sleep hygine is very important and has been very effective for me. As well as a slow down in the same way every night so you train your body to realize it is time to fall asleep. So I get ready for bed at 10:30 every night and set an alarm for 6:30 every am. This allows me about 30 minutes to slow down and reflect and pray and tuck the day in and still get 7-7.5 hours sleep per night. I tell you after a lifetime of waking up at 9-11 am it has been amazing to wake up at 6:30 and feel rested!!!! Since that time I have added the SAD light in the am and the ALPHASTIM treatm,ent which have also helped . I still have a night occas with freq awakenings, and I do stp outside of my hours form time to time, but have to get right back on and it works for me. I know there were other tips but I cannot remember all of them. Hipe some of this helps. The links at the top were a couple of things i foudn that sound similiar to what I learned at my sleep therapist. if you have any questions don't hesitate to pm me and I will respond when I can. Hugs dear friend!

Upvote 0

myanchor

Mar 10, 2009
✟16,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some GABA precursors that the body will use to make GABA, glutamine, theanine, L-tryptophan Google gaba precursor.

I use three benadryl (75mg) , and two melatonin. Sometimes less benadryl.

One p-doc said he thought I was bipolar, but he dropped out of my network and charged $125 each visit, couldn't afford him, the next p-doc said nah, you aren't bi-polar.

Did have one crazy manic, psychotic episode but was on two antidepressants, adderall and I think something else. Now on one antidepressant and haven't seemed to go manic yet, just surly and grumpy when I'm down. Just waiting to see if it happens without too many meds causing it.

Came over here to see if HorizonBlue did. You guys have such interesting questions and discussions.

Upvote 0