I am thinking of joining the National Guard but I have questions on how they get paid monthly?

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am considering joining the National Guard, but my main worry is quitting my current job and being met with financial difficulties during Basic Training and after.

I've read that National Guards have 1 drill per month (and 2 weeks a year) so that means that I will be more likely living my normal civilian life for the rest of the month. Aside from that,

I've also read that there is a monthly base pay (I am likeling enlisting as an E-4 due to having a bachelors and masters) however it doesn't make sense to me to have a monthly base pay when doing absolutely nothing for the rest of the month. Is this correct, am I getting paid a monthly base pay in addition to the drill pays?

• Optimistic
Reactions: bèlla

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am considering joining the National Guard, but my main worry is quitting my current job and being met with financial difficulties during Basic Training and after.

I've read that National Guards have 1 drill per month (and 2 weeks a year) so that means that I will be more likely living my normal civilian life for the rest of the month. Aside from that,

I've also read that there is a monthly base pay (I am likeling enlisting as an E-4 due to having a bachelors and masters) however it doesn't make sense to me to have a monthly base pay when doing absolutely nothing for the rest of the month. Is this correct, am I getting paid a monthly base pay in addition to the drill pays?

Career US Navy here...you will only be paid for the days you drill, which at that pay grade is probably less than $200. When you go for your two active weeks annually, you will be paid the same as the active duty folks.

There could be some special circumstances, one of situations, or other reasons guardsman are paid more.

If you are called to active duty, which happens more frequently than most people think, then you would draw full pay and allowances for your rank.

Naval reserve...look into it, great bunch of folks.

Upvote 0