Nov 2, 2008
Wales
Visit site
✟9,612.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Either here on perhaps on another forum, someone mentioning a group of Dominicans who went to the East to convert the Orthodox but got converted themselves?
I think the context was someone explaining that not all monks wear black (apparently this group having been given a blessing to wear the traditional white cowl of the Dominican order).

If my memory does not deceive me, then, does anyone have any more details about this group, it would be particularly useful for me to know whether they existed in the 13th-15th centuries and any details from that time period about them.

Cheers :)

a.d.ivNonasNovembres

I don't know anything
Nov 2, 2008
Wales
Visit site
✟9,612.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it was during the Crusades. They went to Constantinople during the Council of Florence, but St. Mark of Ephesus put the kabosh to the anticipated reconciliation between the East and West. This would have been during the 1200's.
Council of Florence was 15th C.
There was another council which tried (and failed) to bring reconciliation in the 13th C though, maybe you mean that one?

Well either way is good. Exactly the period I need for an essay.
Any more details?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If there is a Dominican Priory near you, you can ask.

They established a priory in Georgia too and those monks also converted to Orthodoxy.

I wonder if any Jesuits converted to Orthodoxy in their attempts to convert the East to the West? I did meet a holy monk from Trail, Oregon who was born Russian Orthodox, converted to Catholicism by the Jesuits, became a Jesuit, and then returned to the Orthodox Church under the MP. May his memory be eternal.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Order of Preachers (Latin: Ordo Praedicatorum), after the 15th century more commonly known as the Dominican Order or Dominicans, is a Catholic religious order founded by Saint Dominic in the early 13th century in France. Membership in the Order includes the friars, the nuns, the sisters, and lay persons affiliated with the order (formerly known as tertiaries, now cooperator brothers).

A number of other names have been used to refer to both the order and its members.

* In England and other countries the Dominicans are referred to as Blackfriars on account of the black cappa or cloak they wear over their white habits. Dominicans were Blackfriars, as opposed to Whitefriars (i.e., the Carmelites) or Greyfriars (i.e., Franciscans). They are also distinct from the Augustinian Friars (the Austin friars) who wear a similar habit.

* In France, the Dominicans are also known as Jacobins, because their first convent in Paris bore the name Saint Jacques, and Jacques is Jacobus in Latin.

* Their identification as Dominicans gave rise to the pun that they were the Domini canes, or Hounds of the Lord.

Members of the order generally carry the letters O.P. standing for Ordinis Praedicatorum, meaning of the Order of Preachers, after their names.

Founded to preach the gospel and to combat heresy, the order is famed for its intellectual tradition, having produced many leading theologians and philosophers. The Dominican Order is headed by the Master of the Order, who is currently Father Carlos Azpiroz Costa.

Seal_of_the_Dominican_Order.png

Upvote 0