Trumbull
✟36,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
One can have Christ without going to a Church. I am house bound for the most part and have stopped going to Church for 5 years since I can't get there. My Pastor visited once and that was all.

A former organist visits me several times per year. Only wife stands by me. My kids and grandkids want gifts but no phone calls or visits for the most part.

My daughter makes one 3 minute call per week and visits for 30 minutes every other week.

The Church has me on their Housebound list in the bulletin and I will use them for my funeral when it happens.

If we talk to Christ, He talks to us. In the end He will take us to Heaven and we will live with Him for all Eternity.

One way I reach Christ every day is with Christian music.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,229.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it a Must for a Christian to join a Church?

It's not compulsory, but you will miss out on stuff.
Yes, you'll miss all the petty arguments, meetings, people trying to get you to do/give/say more, or whatever. But you'll also miss out on fellowship, people praying for you/asking you if you want to talk about anything. You'll miss out on the times when you've been moved by the worship, challenged by the sermon or believe that the Lord has spoken to you - and you have to share it, to bless others also, or find out what it means. You'll miss corporate worship and celebrating the Lord's supper with friends. You'll miss out on sharing your spiritual gifts with others and benefiting from theirs.

Is that a problem to my spirituality?

Do you find it a problem?

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not attached to any Church now, I was baptized in a Baptist Church in 1992, but I had left that Church long time ago.
I joined several churches after that and became member, but left also due to split of church.

Now, I did not join any church, I did not do Sunday service every Sunday, only sometimes.

Hello. Going to a good church can be a wonderful blessing, not just where you can fellowship with others and be blessed but more importantly where you can serve and be a blessing to others.

If you're out of church for a season through no fault of your own, I have been too, keep your spiritual fervor. Keep seeking the Lord. Ask him to reveal what he would have you do. That's my advice. God Bless :)

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not attached to any Church now, I was baptized in a Baptist Church in 1992, but I had left that Church long time ago.
I joined several churches after that and became member, but left also due to split of church.

Now, I did not join any church, I did not do Sunday service every Sunday, only sometimes.

I have belonged to two great churches in my forty years a Christian and have been baptised and Spirit filled but the church seemed to lose its vision over the years and eventually it felt like just going through the motions so I left. But I don't feel my spirituality has suffered and in some ways I feel closer to God.

Upvote 0

Jesus_is_Saint

Sep 4, 2016
Malaysia
✟47,272.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I do attend church, but is that only a ritual?
what good to me if I regularly attend Sunday service but don't feel the Love of God in my heart and has no power to do God's will to love your neighbor as yourself?
I am a sensitive person, if the bad things in church can hurt my faith, I need to avoid it.
I admit that I do no have good friends in church,
but I found some people in christian forums to share my faith.
I feel that, most important, do I love God and have faith in Him?

I do pray to God to guide me on my choice, I told God that I was hurt before and I am afraid to go to church, hope that God listens to me.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.. you don't have to go to Church. Your still saved.. loved :) See GOD gave you things that others need. Oh you may not see it but He does. And other people there have something you need. We are one body.

The question we must ask is why are we not going? Self? Not talking about those that can't go for what ever reason. Just know you are so blessed and you do have something to give. Ask Him to OPEN the door to the right Church. Your choice.. with Christ nothing has changed :)

I will add this.. we ALL need someone over us.. or we can get/be deceived.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Some people leave the church because they are single and are treated badly by those in the church who are married. I remember being among a group of girls and one girl was laughing about a 37-year old guy dating this woman. It pricked my heart to hear that, because I was 32 at the time. I do want to attend church myself but I am tremendously concerned about this sort of treatment toward myself by other marrieds. I do wish there were a way that we (I included) would not let mere mortals determine what we think and do, but the emotional pain can be so much. How do we overcome this?

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

The way church is currently structured (a lecture hall with forced socializing) is not really the picture the bible paints of the early fellowships.

Fellowship is helpful, going to a church with a Romanist Hierarchical Structure (counter Jesus' teachings on greatness) is definitely not recommended.

• Winner
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Do you want to "go to church"? If not...don't. You can have church right here in this forum. It is a very good thing to congregate with like-minded believers...especially during the Appointed Times...if you accept them. It's completely up to you whether or not you want to put yourself under any kind of eldership and buy in to the clergy/laity set up. Yah bless either way!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Church is the Body of Christ. These people span all denominations according to their heart. As far as a brick and mortar denomination, that is up to you. If you need a physical family of believers then by all means find that family. We are in a time where Gods will is not in the arena of righteousness but in the arena of unrighteousness through false teachers. This is how the reformation started, one by one monks and priests fell away from the Catholic church, found themselves alone then picked up again with the purity of scripture. The cycle continues with us, the homeless Christians.
Blessings

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But you'll also miss out on fellowship

There are many lonely Christians in those seats that no one notices. A lot of them are on this site. Some places are unwelcoming and the person feels more alone than they did at home.

people praying for you/asking you if you want to talk about anything.

Most churches and ministries have online prayer request forms and welcome phone calls if you need to talk. Googling ‘online prayer request’ will return many results.

You'll miss out on the times when you've been moved by the worship, challenged by the sermon or believe that the Lord has spoken to you

Live streaming is a reality now. You don’t have to rely on televangelists. Add in the numerous music streaming services available for round-the-clock worship music. Not to mention the numerous communities and online bible studies.

and you have to share it, to bless others also, or find out what it means. You'll miss corporate worship and celebrating the Lord's supper with friends. You'll miss out on sharing your spiritual gifts with others and benefiting from theirs.

Like many do on CF or through by volunteering.

I’m not trying to pick your post apart. This isn’t the 1900’s. Absence from a physical church doesn’t mean isolation and no Christian resources. You can access a host of sermons in the blink of an eye. You can form study groups and fellowship with people around the world.

We have a plethora of options at our reach. That’s the world we live in. :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It is simply normal to be a member of a Christian community. Scripture doesn't show any evidence of solo Christians.
I think so. What could be holding you back from being a member of a Christian community? The Holy Spirit should be leading you to to a local Christian community. Follow the lead of the Spirit wherever it leads you. But this I know: You are not being lead to be a solo Christian.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,229.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many lonely Christians in those seats that no one notices. A lot of them are on this site. Some places are unwelcoming and the person feels more alone than they did at home.

Most churches and ministries have online prayer request forms and welcome phone calls if you need to talk. Googling ‘online prayer request’ will return many results.

Live streaming is a reality now. You don’t have to rely on televangelists. Add in the numerous music streaming services available for round-the-clock worship music. Not to mention the numerous communities and online bible studies.

Like many do on CF or through by volunteering.

I’m not trying to pick your post apart. This isn’t the 1900’s. Absence from a physical church doesn’t mean isolation and no Christian resources. You can access a host of sermons in the blink of an eye. You can form study groups and fellowship with people around the world.

We have a plethora of options at our reach. That’s the world we live in. :)

This is all true.
It's also true that God said that it is not good for man to be alone, and created Eve; has put us in families and spoke of the church as the body of Christ.
Yes, people can have rotten experiences at church :( but they may find also that worshipping alone all the time is not always the solution. Yes, those who have, and are able to operate, a computer, have loads of resources at their finger tips. But I am almost certain that an older, lonely person would prefer to have a cup of tea with 1/2 dozen real friends, than watch thousands drinking tea together on a screen.

I'm not sticking up for the church or even saying that the OP has to go to church - I moved from one end of the country to another because I hated my church and had no real fellowship. But even so, being with others who shared my faith (even if only 2 or 3), singing rousing hymns with others, being asked to read the Scriptures in church, hearing a sermon, and sometimes being able to contribute to a discussion, was all vastly better than the years I spent on my own, housebound, with M.E. Yes, it was because of illness that I joined this forum, which is mostly a good thing; but there are 1000% more arguments here than there ever were in our church.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The church is much like a training ground for carrying the commission to the world. It’s not walking away from worshipping God to walk away from the church. The difference should be obvious since you just sourced worship based on that.

It is walking away from other Christians.
As I said, Why don't you want to meet up with other Christians to encourage them, to be encouraged etc.

Meeting at church is not primarily for our benefit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @Strong in Him

Just wanted to say that I am in the same position in the UK and very sick but still manage to go to the Sunday meeting though leave soon afterwards and have no real fellowship in the church.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,229.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Strong in Him

Just wanted to say that I am in the same position in the UK and very sick but still manage to go to the Sunday meeting though leave soon afterwards and have no real fellowship in the church.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Reactions: bmjackson
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's also true that God said that it is not good for man to be alone, and created Eve; has put us in families and spoke of the church as the body of Christ.

We rarely get everything we want in life. Some are meant for marriage but don’t find a partner. Many are born into bad family situations. And the Body of Christ doesn’t function like a family.

Love can’t be forced and it isn’t the generic stuff society promotes. Real love is our willingness to be uncomfortable, sacrifice, suffer, laugh, support, and grow with someone.

I don’t feel that way about the stranger sitting beside me. I’m not interested in your belief. I want to know who you are IN LIGHT of your faith. Words are easy. But fruit is proof.

Yes, people can have rotten experiences at church :( but they may find also that worshipping alone all the time is not always the solution. Yes, those who have, and are able to operate, a computer, have loads of resources at their finger tips.

I never mentioned worshipping alone. Or that they couldn’t do the same with others. Some people have limited access to places of worship or reputable ones. Some are following denominations with no local church. Most people aren’t holed up in a room with no one to talk to.

But I am almost certain that an older, lonely person would prefer to have a cup of tea with 1/2 dozen real friends, than watch thousands drinking tea together on a screen.

We aren’t privy to that person’s life story. We don’t know why they’re alone or lonely. Sometimes our choices create those situations. Or strained family connections. Or the loss of a spouse.

Many seniors aren’t in the same situation. They were nurturing parents who built solid friendships. Their golden years are happy. When people are forgotten there’s always a reason. Good or bad.

But even so, being with others who shared my faith (even if only 2 or 3), singing rousing hymns with others, being asked to read the Scriptures in church, hearing a sermon, and sometimes being able to contribute to a discussion, was all vastly better than the years I spent on my own, housebound, with M.E.

Church filled a void in your life. You gained much because of your situation. I don’t know if you were surrounded by friends and loved ones. I don’t know who provided love and service on your behalf. I hope it was plentiful.

I’ve dealt with two incurable illnesses before the Lord removed them. I wasn’t in church. But I was never alone. Family, friends, and neighbors were exceedingly kind. We were invested in the other. That’s mutual love. They wanted to help. I didn’t have to burden them or hope for sympathy. They loved me. That was their motivation.

When I came to faith and endured horrendous warfare and a spiritual tug-o-war with the evil one. Guess who stood beside me through it all? Taking lumps and blows right with me. They did. And they weren’t believers. They loved me. Watching me suffer grieved them. So they joined me.

That’s agape. I’ve lived it on both ends. Going to church doesn’t mean you’re invested in the person beside you. It doesn’t mean you care at all. Many come to church desiring to fill what’s missing in their lives. They’re focused on self. Not love. Multiply that truth and you have the hollowness we see today.

But when you walk in full without an agenda in mind you see through different lenses. We aren’t ready to love as Christ commanded. We’re very far from that point.

Yes, it was because of illness that I joined this forum, which is mostly a good thing; but there are 1000% more arguments here than there ever were in our church.

I agree. That illustrates my point. We are the body and the body is sick.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The way church is currently structured (a lecture hall with forced socializing) is not really the picture the bible paints of the early fellowships.
In some ways, mainly incidentals, that is so.

But having NO CHURCH and attending NONE is certainly unlike the church as described in the New Testament and the practices of the first Christians!

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is walking away from other Christians.
As I said, Why don't you want to meet up with other Christians to encourage them, to be encouraged etc.

Meeting at church is not primarily for our benefit.
Meeting at church doesn’t guarantee meeting up with other Christians either. Being an encourager or getting encouragement from others the other days in real life isn’t really much different unless your a shut-in. No different than being an encouragement on CF really. God does not specify putting your John Henry on anything but following Him. He let His people go to ensure that they would be free to worship Him, and specifications are not given about where the 2 or 3 gathered in His Name is limited to. I don’t like being beaten over the head to follow rituals.

Upvote 0