Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are correct that he did not infer repentance proceeds forgiveness. He outright stated it:

Luke 17:4
And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.
As a Christian, a man in Christ, I forgive my assailants and pray for them, whether or not they EVER change.
Jesus doesn't want me walking around with hateful grudges in my-His heart.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if someone you love and care about commits a senseless, act of violence against YOU? I read of this account on a social media site. Three days ago, because of a simple, not-thought-out mistake, one enraged family member strong-armed his way into another's room and subjected him to a brutal beating. To date, there has been no apology to the victim, no admission of wrongdoing by the offender, and I am not certain if a single civil word has passed between them. I support the military and police for keeping us safe, but I was raised as a Christian and pacifist, believing violence to always be the last resort. If I were the victim of such bullying by a relative, how could I forgive this!?
I need guidance on how to advise my friend.
My dad was in the military. They encouraged fighting and combat skills to a certain extent. They did not teach recruits to turn the other cheek. My younger brother and I used to fight. I tried to stop sometimes, but he kept jabbing me. He was not bruising me. It became annoying and I hit him back. He kept jabbing. I hit him harder. When I was 17 it stopped. I was working all summer doing hard physical labor. I grew muscles and he stopped attacking.

I think such situations as family violence might need Christian counseling. Sometimes it ends up in divorce court or a child being placed in protective custody.

Jesus really did teach a person who is hit on one cheek should turn and offer the other cheek. Jesus also taught his disciples, if they were not welcomed in a town, they should shake the dust off their feet and move onto the next town.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What if someone you love and care about commits a senseless, act of violence against YOU? I read of this account on a social media site. Three days ago, because of a simple, not-thought-out mistake, one enraged family member strong-armed his way into another's room and subjected him to a brutal beating. To date, there has been no apology to the victim, no admission of wrongdoing by the offender, and I am not certain if a single civil word has passed between them. I support the military and police for keeping us safe, but I was raised as a Christian and pacifist, believing violence to always be the last resort. If I were the victim of such bullying by a relative, how could I forgive this!?
I need guidance on how to advise my friend.

What was the catalyst, what was the grievance that started the whole issue? Was there unsettled issues between them?

Sometimes situations have to rise to the level of violence, some people will not learn any other way, it's regrettable, but true.

But again, what started it.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think it is premature to be talking about forgiveness while still in a violent and unsafe situation. My advice would be, ensure your safety first, then you are more likely to have the energy and headspace to consider forgiveness.

I would also add, as a very practical first step, that it might be a good idea to go and see a doctor. Have the injuries assessed and documented, and seek referral to other appropriate supports.

Brothers get into fights, chances are it will all blow over, and in a week,or, two they will be laughing about.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Brothers get into fights, chances are it will all blow over, and in a week,or, two they will be laughing about.

There is nothing in the OP to tell us the gender or the age of the two people involved.

Upvote 0