Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last few years I have absorbed foolishness and sin.

Need a new direction.

In life and ONLINE! An so far I am loving this forum real aid for my mind!

Welcome to the forum, may you be blessed by it.

Get your bible out and follow along checking the scripture references as people put forth ... a lot to learn ... but if you keep up with it ... it is a life changing journey and to be cherished forever!

Reactions: J Daniel
Upvote 0

J Daniel

Jul 14, 2019
Thornton Heath
✟20,323.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you!
Welcome to the forum, may you be blessed by it.

Get your bible out and follow along checking the scripture references as people put forth ... a lot to learn ... but if you keep up with it ... it is a life changing journey and to be cherished forever!

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Just realised that you're only a few miles up the road from me - I'm from Brighton. I shoot through South London quite often.

Personally, I believe the crux of Christianity IS foolishness and sin. It's what makes our faith so valuable and what makes Jesus so beautiful. I don't believe that God deals out a free pass to sin, nor do I believe He wants us to achieve anywhere near the holy level of His son. He just wants good, regular communication between us and Him.

That's my non-denominational view, anyway...

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF, J Daniel. I hope you will find your time here edifying.

When it comes to the basic reorientation away from the sinful life, I always reach first for the Desert Fathers and Mothers, the 3rd century and onward Egyptian, Syrian, and Palestinian monastics and ascetics who left us great wisdom in the collection known in English as "The Sayings of the Desert Fathers".

From St. Anthony, the Father of the Monks, we learn:

"Do not trust in your own righteousness, do not worry about the past, but control your eyes and your stomach."

"Our life and our death are with our neighbor. If we gain a brother, we have gained God, but if we scandalise our brother, we have sinned against Christ."

"He who wishes to live in solitude in the desert is delivered from three conflicts: hearing, speech, and sight; there is only one conflict for him and that is with fornication."

Similarly, Abba Ammonas (St. Amun), a disciple and successor of the above St. Anthony, once explained the "narrow and hard way" of Matthew 7:14 in the following way:

"The 'narrow way and hard way' is this: to control your thoughts, and to strip yourself of your own will, for the sake of God. This is also the meaning of the sentence, 'Lo, we have left everything and followed you.'" (Matthew 19:27)

Upvote 0