I am Jehovah, that is my name.

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟124,015.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 42:8 I am Jehovah, this is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to idols.

What is one to make of this verse. We're given a name, Jehovah, and two statements "my glory I give to no other" and "nor my praise to idols".

Why does God give himself a name, what does that name signify, do you use it and when do you use it?

What is this "glory" that God will not give to another and why are idols brought up?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The actual name (or title meaning LORD) is YHWH which is pronounced Yahweh in Hebrew. The Latin version of Yahweh is Iehovah, which was anglicized into Jehovah.
No it isn't...and Lord in Hebrew is Adon or Adonai. The verse begins with "Ani YHVH"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No it isn't...and Lord in Hebrew is Adon or Adonai. The verse begins with "Ani YHVH"
From the Hebrew lexicon:

יְהוָ֖ה (Yah·weh) I am the LORD
שְׁמִ֑י (she·mi) that is My name

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
From the Hebrew lexicon:

יְהוָ֖ה (Yah·weh) I am the LORD
שְׁמִ֑י (she·mi) that is My name
Ani YHVH hu Shemi... I AM YHVH, that is My Name... אֲנִ֥י יְהֹוָ֖ה ה֣וּא שְׁמִ֑י

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 42:8 I am Jehovah, this is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to idols.

What is one to make of this verse. We're given a name, Jehovah, and two statements "my glory I give to no other" and "nor my praise to idols".

Why does God give himself a name, what does that name signify, do you use it and when do you use it?

What is this "glory" that God will not give to another and why are idols brought up?
Who I the Servant of the Lord?
Who is the Elect one?
Who brought justice to the Gentiles?
Who was bruised by a reed?
Who brings justice for truth ?
Who established justice on earth?
Who was given as a Covenant to the people?

If we read the entire passage we know who this is , Jesus Christ of Nazareth. He is given ALL the Glory!

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I'll be honest i have family that are Jehovah's Witnesses and they teach a lot of things that are contrary to the Bible, while I do love them i never even heard of the name Jehovah before them so it has a negative connotation for me.

Let's just say that is an actual name for God instead of Lord or Yahweh i just couldn't bring myself to calling God Jehovah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟124,015.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'll be honest i have family that are Jehovah's Witnesses and they teach a lot of things that are contrary to the Bible, while I do love them i never even heard of the name Jehovah before them so it has a negative connotation for me.

Let's just say that is an actual name for God instead of Lord of Yahweh i just couldn't bring myself to calling God Jehovah.
I prefer Harold. Like in the Lord's prayer "Our Father, who art in heaven Harold be thy name ..." :)

• Wow
Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟392,455.00
Country