South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone else wonder how difficult it would have been to discipline Jesus? Jesus was Perfect during His life, so I myself wonder how children have been disciplined during Jesus' age. How did the Jewish people discipline their children in general? It is weird I know, but I am full of curiosity and wonderment, even it is sounds silly.

I would assume it would have been somewhat more difficult than for other children because He was sinless. Maybe I am wrong, yet when He was 12, his parents Mary and Joseph were looking for Him, but He was at His Father's House at the temple courts. His parents were obviously worried for Him, just like parents do.

There was one thing that intrigued me, however. Mary and Joseph were amazed at His saying about His Father's House, but why? Could it be because of their sinful nature that there was a lack of understanding of Bible prophecy on their parts? I would think that Mary and Joseph would have understood or at least have known about the prophecies concerning Jesus' life since Mary was impregnated by the Lord and the fact that Joseph was visited by an angel about his Son's birth.

I would have thought that out of all people, they would have known or even had the slightest idea about Bible prophecy concerning their Son. I don't understand that since they raised a Sinless child, yet it is assumed by me that they would at least some understanding of Old Testament prophecy. Am I missing something?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone else wonder how difficult it would have been to discipline Jesus? Jesus was Perfect during His life, so I myself wonder how children have been disciplined during Jesus' age. How did the Jewish people discipline their children in general? It is weird I know, but I am full of curiosity and wonderment, even it is sounds silly.

I would assume it would have been somewhat more difficult than for other children because He was sinless. Maybe I am wrong, yet when He was 12, his parents Mary and Joseph were looking for Him, but He was at His Father's House at the temple courts. His parents were obviously worried for Him, just like parents do.

There was one thing that intrigued me, however. Mary and Joseph were amazed at His saying about His Father's House, but why? Could it be because of their sinful nature that there was a lack of understanding of Bible prophecy on their parts? I would think that Mary and Joseph would have understood or at least have known about the prophecies concerning Jesus' life since Mary was impregnated by the Lord and the fact that Joseph was visited by an angel about his Son's birth.

I would have thought that out of all people, they would have known or even had the slightest idea about Bible prophecy concerning their Son. I don't understand that since they raised a Sinless child, yet it is assumed by me that they would at least some understanding of Old Testament prophecy. Am I missing something?

Hello?

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟573,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I read a similar thought while reading a commentary on the wedding feast at Cana. There is a rather inexplicable dialogue in it where Mary asks Jesus to help the wedding party and He says, "Woman, what is this to us? My time has not yet come." Since John uses that phrase, my time has not yet come, several times to point to the start of the passion, it would seem that both Mary and Jesus knew how his life would end and he was telling his mother that if He performed this miracle, the clock would start.
As far as disciplining Jesus, as an obedient son, I am sure he took discipline from His mother just as He tried to fulfill His father's commands. Let me point to one scripture where Jesus tells John the Baptist that He must be baptized to fulfill all righteousness. Now Jesus was sinless and by our standards, righteous; but He knew that no Jew would follow a Rabbi who did not do even the most basic prescribes to attain righteousness, like being baptized. It seems that Jesus understood that to humans, the outward appearance was sometimes all they looked at and He choose to fulfill these requirements to draw even closer to the people he cared about. It is like today when we do something we do not see the need for, just because it is something desired by a loved one.

Upvote 0